Software
Houzz Logo Print
ethel_labelle

I need help with creating closet space

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

In my bedroom, I have an empty space. The size of the space is 88 (h) x 55(w) x 16(D). On one side, I have a drywalled plumbing pipes. The other side is a closet. Above, is drywalled duct.I want to put in a mirror sliding door but all sliding do


ors come 80' high. Is there a way to put on a sliding door doing any without drywall work?

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Post a pic please but I can't see how you would attach the door frame without some kind of work BTW 16" deep is not deep enough for hangers so maybe explain the use for the closet

  • 4 years ago

    '''Thank you Patricia. I am attaching a pic of how the space looks now. I want to use a sliding door to cover the space.



  • 4 years ago

    Assuming you can screw things into the duct space above how about a mirrored sliding barn door style? I searched & cam up with this source & you can order custom sizes 88 x 55 is available See if this link works Mirrored sliding door

    Ethel Labelle thanked KW PNW Z8
  • 4 years ago

    I don't really like it, but how about a heavy curtain to cover this closet?

  • 4 years ago

    If this is a nook in a much larger wall, you can do a barn door. If not, it becomes harder to offer advice, that's why @Patricia Colwell Consulting recommended a pic of the whole room/wall.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I hate to admit it but that folding system really does work and I think the best solution here is a heavy set of drapes you can tie them back if you want . IMO mirrored clset doors are dated and I for one do not wan to see myself in bed . Get better lighting if the room is dark. I still would like to see the whole room.

  • 4 years ago

    You’ve probably already looked high and low for one, but if not, what about a freestanding armoire or wardrobe that would fit in the space? These aren’t the right dimensions, but you get the idea:

    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/pax-wardrobe-with-sliding-doors-white-auli-mirror-glass-s29898950/

    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/songesand-wardrobe-white-10394558/

    Ethel Labelle thanked swrite
  • 4 years ago

    Is there any kind of way you can have a contractor build out the space. He might need to add a wall on the left side.

    Ethel Labelle thanked shirlpp
  • 4 years ago

    The bedroom is 10 ft (W) x 11 ft. I have a queen bed that takes up most of the space. The closet takes up 27 inches x 42 inches. I wanted to put a mirrored sliding door to create the optics that the room was larger, while creating an extra storage space (since the closet is very small.




  • 4 years ago

    I tried IKEA pax system and a wardrobe from the Brick. However, it was too deep. I could not fit my queen bed with the wardrobe. I need something that is not more than 16 inches deep for the space to be able to have my bed or I will have to down size to a full bed

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    @Ethel Labelle You have quite the challenge there! Clever of you to use that inset space for more closet storage. Seeing the entire wall now, I don’t see how any kind of sliding solid door can work since not enough wall space to slide open. Not knowing if your home is rental or you own, I hesitate to suggest swapping the existing bypass closet doors for mirrored doors so you get the mirror you want. Mirrored doors would be nice for a number of reasons. It would be nice to be able to cover your ”exterior” closet too for a cleaner look & dust protection. How about checking out a ceiling mounted track for either pull up/ down mini blinds or cellular shades? Seems like the thin width is what’s needed. The blind would be the width of inset space only, just outside the edge of shelves. They’d blend into wall if you matched paint but any color would work to match color scheme in room. Love your chandelier!

    Ethel Labelle thanked KW PNW Z8
  • 4 years ago

    yeah, sliding door won't work. only thing I can think of is a tension rod and nice curtains to cover

    Ethel Labelle thanked Melissa R
  • 4 years ago

    Curtains as mentioned are the best, but think about the crux of the issue. Too much in too small a space. Marie Kondo your clothing - love it or let it go, in all closets. Fold. Clear bins for folded items would allow you to see which bin you want to pull out. Seasonal items in under bed or attic storage. Do you have room for a chest or armoire in another room where you could put accessories, shoes, handbags?

    Ethel Labelle thanked Valinta
  • 4 years ago

    Thank you KW, Melissa, and Valinta. I am looking into renting a locker space to store seasonal clothing etc. I am storing shoes and bags under the bed. I will look into the cellular shade suggestion to see how it works with the room.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I think there is some confusion here if you have a 60" bed and 120" space I do not understand why the Pax wont fit it will stick out 7" which should be fine 120- 7- 60- 48- The only way that would not work is if the 10' measure is from the inside of that alcove. Maybe post a to scale plan so we can see the issues . This is another choice form Ikea check it out


    AURDAL Wardrobe combination, white, 49 1/4x15 3/4x87 " (125x40x221 cm)

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you Patricia. The Pax system was my first choice and I purchased it to try it. It did not fit the space. First, it covered 2HVAC vents, which the builder placed on the floor rather than on the ceiling. We explored putting legs on it to lift it from the floor to resolve that issue. The second issue is space. At the moment the bed is right up against the closet. On the other side, it is right up against the laundry room. (Yes, the builder put the laundry room in the master bedroom contrary to the original floor plan). So although the size is 10 (w) x 11, it is a tight space and I am trying to make it work.

  • 4 years ago

    Oh boy. Is it possible to open the laundry room from another direction - so that it does not open into the master? Relocate it as originally intended?

  • 4 years ago

    It only opens in the master bedroom. I changing the door to a barn door because every time I have to open to door to do laundry, I have to disassemble to bed and reassemble. A barn door will at least help resolve that. My unsolved issue is the "nook' I would like to use as an extended closet space

  • 4 years ago

    I have to disassemble to bed and reassemble.

    OMG!


    Lots of suggestions here on the extended closet space. Personally I'd call a contractor in to see if he can combine the closet and nook.

  • 4 years ago

    If this is your home, another option is to have installed a drawer system that you can store all folded clothes in. The drawers would be painted white and you could see how deep you could have them with the uneven wall size. Drawers for the deep area for clothes and the narrower drawers for jewelry or other items.. I realize the space is uneven which would take some creativity. I don’t have a picture but it looks like a piece of built in furniture.

  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Could you please post a to scale plan I am having a really hardtime understanding the need to dismantle the bed in this space so to scale showing all doorways and windows please . Use graph paper to make this easier and show every measurement clearly. I have amuch smaller bedroom in my house and there is no need to move the bed to get at anything and right now it has a queen bed , not ideal but the answer right now .