Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_655048261

Need tips on living room in apartment

HU-655048261
last year

moving into an apartment next week and the layout for living room/dining room is very awkward and difficult. im not sure where to put my couch and where to mount my TV. should i put the dining oom table in front of the window? the kitchen in towards the right side, opposite from the window behind the wall. back patio is the door to the left of the window. im going to be getting a small sectional couch for the living room. any tips and ideas? is it doable? any tips are appreciated, thanks!

(new to this forum and this is my first post)

Comments (27)

• HU-655048261
    Original Author
    last year

Also, im horrible at designing so give me tips for that too please! how do i make it look better lol.

walls will be repainted next week btw

• jck910
    last year

What is sticking out of the left wall? Tv console with Tv on left wall. Chaise style sectional with chaise on window wall side. Floor lamp in right corner, End table with lamp at other end of sofa. Dining table at kitchen end. Swivel chair facing window. Make sure you measurement twice and buy once. Look for small scale furniture.

HU-655048261 thanked jck910
  • eld6161
    last year

I think we need a floor plan with dimensions and marking doors, window etc.

• Constine
    last year

Use the app Magicplan to make a floorplan. You can add furniture with their actual dimensions and move things around. From what I see, I would put the dining table opposite the stove, and the sectional with its back towards the dining table.

HU-655048261 thanked Constine
  • HU-655048261
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for your reply. The stove is temporarily there. It will be moved to kitchen once they finish renovating the kitchen.

• HU-655048261
    Original Author
    last year

I wish I could reply to each individual comment but it’s not allowing me to. The thing sticking out in the left corner is the wall ac . I will take more pictures when I’m there next week. Thanks for your replies everyone.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

A sketch of the basic shape of spaces with lengths of walls and openings done
    in black would be very helpful.

• HU-655048261
    Original Author
    last year

@Flo Mangan i will do that tomorrow. thanks

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Ok great!

• Maureen
    last year

Layout suggestions might also be more relevant if you provided pictures of your dining set and living room furniture.

• HU-655048261
    Original Author
    last year

@Maureen .. i have not purchased it yet. i will be ourchasing furniture next weekend but just wanted to have an idea of which furniture would look best there. for example, if i ahould have a recatangular or square table or round oval. or if i should have a sectional couch with chaise , something smaller. the colours etc. not too sure lol. but next week im going to be buying the furnitur . thanks for your reply :)

• HU-655048261
    Original Author
    last year

Someone mentioned this option to me and it seems like it might just be the best one due to the layout of the living room. im guessing i should mount the tv with a mount that can turn to wither side amd pull out. what do you guys think of this? should i have darker furnture or loghter? the walls will he a neutral colour and the floors are dark brown wood looking colour. also, i should ger s rug right? any tips on which colour woukd look best? like i said, im horribke when it comes to this stuff 😂🤪

@Flo Mangan

@Constine

@eld6161

@jck910

let me know what you all think.

thank you! 🙂

• jck910
    last year

There do not have room for a walkway behind the sectional and bumping heads on the AC is possible with that layout. Switch the TV to AC wall and chaise to plain wall. And yes a rug is always nice to make a room feel finished. Make sure it is a foot wider on each side of the sectional (72" sectional needs 8-foot-wide rug)

• HU-655048261
    Original Author
    last year

@jck910 , yes thats true as well. so whem i switch thr tv to the AC wall id be mounting it on an angle in the corner then? like i guess it would also be hiding the ac in a way? is that what you mean? hope im understanding correctly!

thank you 😊

• jck910
    last year

YES!!

• HU-655048261
    Original Author
    last year

@jck910 okay thanks! it wouldnt be mounted too high up if i do it there right? seems like better option as it wouod also hide the AC. hopefully theres an outlet there! also, wouldnt be an issue if the ac is right there by it right? like it wouldmt cause issues to the TV? sorry hopefully not a stupid question lol

• jck910
    last year

Next time you are there take a picture of that wall and post it here so your questions can be better answered

• Maureen
    last year
    last modified: last year

Important decisions with you starting from scratch and before buying anything, really consider layout/scale, design style and a unified feel, as all are equally important. Research options, prices, quality and look for on line inspiration. Have a plan.

Here is an idea, if opposite wall can accommodate TV, but ensure wall is accessorized well to offset the prominence of the AC. The seating below allows the ottoman/lounge section to be on either end, which is a bonus when deciding on your best layout. Maybe TV could be on a low console under window and large art next to AC.

Keep things light and airy.

Room would resemble this layout.

Suggest a light and airy, small round dining set.

Once the “bones“ are added, then take your time with a rug, lighting, art, coffee table, window treatment, etc.

• RedRyder
    last year

BEFORE you buy a couch, post exact measurements of the whole area, including the kitchen. I’m not sure a sectional is the best idea for your space. There are talented pros on this forum that can give you good ideas on furniture (which is expensive and shouldn’t be done in a hurry). A single couch and two chairs might be more flexible for your lifestyle. The a/c wall is hard to design around without a photo of the wall with the height of the a/c unit indicated.

Don’t order a couch until you have design ideas. @Maureen showed you one option that looks great but is it your taste? Do you want a specific type of couch? What color are you painting the walls?

Not trying to rain on your parade- just giving you a yellow caution signal.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Hoping you post sketch of your room with measurements. Otherwise, we are just guessing about layout and potential furniture.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

You're dreaming if you think you have enough room for a sectional out in the middle of the room.

• HU-655048261
    Original Author
    last year

@BeverlyFLADeziner not dreaming, just made a mistake with words, its happens. i am new to this, posting publicly on forums and its my first time moving out on my own. what i meant was a sofa and chaise. i got excited to finally have my own space as ive recently fled domestic violence and just bery excited and happy to have my own place and be on the right path, so i quickly typed something on on this forum so i could get replies and positive advice back. maybe i am dreaming a little, or maybe im just really excited . idk ! 😇

• Maureen
    last year
    last modified: last year

Dreaming is part of being creative, optimistic and it’s part of a journey, especially yours. Shouldn't be apologizing for how/what you referenced. Hope you receive recommendations that are helpful. The best advice I can provide is to consider:

Form/function/layout before buying major pieces;

Styles/colors and look at on line inspiration rooms. Given room will be multifunctional and is small, suggest smaller scaled, light choices.

Create an on line floor plan to scale.

Try Ikea for seating, drapes, rug, etc. Bring floor plan and a consultant will be really extremely helpful. Go on line to see their catalogue and thought info below might help.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/high-end-living-room-items-ikea-36704904?amp=1&epik=dj0yJnU9WHdpWGd0NU5NUTB5UXhPOTNvZVVVcm9Pa1Q5U2xhdlImcD0wJm49X3lvbU4zNmN3RVdLdHNZck4ybnBnUSZ0PUFBQUFBR01uUU9N

Last advice is to borrow things if you have to, so you have time to make good choices, benefit from sales and enjoy the whole process. All the best and good luck.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Taking the size of your TV into account will help you determine how large a sofa to get and how far it should be from the TV. That will tell you the best place for both. A small reversible chaise sofa will be a good investment if it can be fitted in. It will allow you to reverse the chaise portion if/when you move elsewhere in the future. Then you might have room to add one small swivel chair as well, but don't rush the process and make purchasing mistakes that can't be returned.

• HU-655048261
    Original Author
    last year

@jck910 @eld6161 @Constine @Flo Mangan @Maureen i guess theres another wall that i coukd use for my tv! not sure if i shoulddo my dining table on the wall closer to the kitchen or yse that as my living room and then mKe the area with the window my dining room. the stive is temporarily there btw..the ac area is such an eyesore lol

• shirlpp
    last year

Where is the wall you're showing for the TV in relation to the entire room.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!