Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_943843180

should I remove the closet doors for an office?

4 years ago

Hello! I am building a new construction home. We have a study that will be used as a workout room which has a good sized closet 6x3.5. I'm planning to use the closet for a small office space since I only will use it for bills and occasionally to work from home. My husband is suggesting we trim it out without the doors since we have plenty of storage in the rest of the house and he says if I'm working in the office I have to have the main door to the room closed due to the positioning of the closet doors. Any thoughts on whether I should not install the doors? We are already installing drywall so I can't reconfigure the opening.


Thanks in advance!


Comments (27)

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Just reverse the door swing on the main door so you don't have to keep the door closed when working at your desk. And yes, remove the closet doors. I'd even look into built-in cabinetry for your desk and shelving above. Like this:



    5 to 1 Apartment · More Info


  • 4 years ago

    Thank you! I was thinking of having a built in with floating shelves above.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    It depends upon, during the life of the space, what you store in the closet and how much you want to conceal its tidiness or lack thereof.

  • 4 years ago

    I converted a closet to an office and kept the doors so I could hide my workspace. You do have to be careful when selecting your furniture so the doors can close.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Have the doors installed, then remove the hinge pins and store the doors in the garage, and use the closet as an office. If you have a messy office, install a curtain where the doors were.

    If I were a betting man, I would bet the office desk will be moved within a year to some other place where daylight can be seen.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    No curtain at all if you use the office as you mention you should have no mess and just get a jazzy office chair in a coolo color and a funky wall hung desk a small file box and be done no doors needed . If by chance this might be a bedroom on resale they can figure out the doors.

  • 4 years ago

    That’s what I was thinking. Make it super cute with a cool chair.

  • 4 years ago

    Definitely leave the closet doors off. I'm guessing there is no HVAC vent inside the closet and you would not want to be in there with the doors closed anyway.

  • 4 years ago

    How about doors like you used to see on an entertainment center; they slide back into a pocket on either side?

    Fall 2013 Parade of Homes-Platinum Award Winner · More Info


  • 4 years ago

    I'm with @Mark Bischak, Architect. If you only work occasionally and can work in a space 6x3, why not place your desk under a window in another room? Traditionally called a writing desk, it's been done like this for quite some time.

    Keep the closet doors and use the space to store office supplies and workout extras. I'm glad you planned plenty of storage because it fills up fast!

    Is there even an outlet in the closet? Do you want to work while your husband is exercising? Will he have to knock just to enter in case you are in an online meeting?

  • 4 years ago

    If I had a desk in there it would not be in that small closet space. I would want a window or something pleasant but that is up to you.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I had a client from England that needed an office in the summer home I was designing with him. During the design process the office space moved around and changed size and shape. It ended up a little bigger than yours and not on the lake side of the house. It has a window in it opposite the appropriate door.


  • PRO
    4 years ago

    How about replacing your swinging double doors with a pocket door? You can leave open while working at your desk and close it when you are not or if things get kinda messy in there. Not absolutely sure it is possible but perhaps it could slide into the wall adjacent to the 3'-0"x8'-0" door into your study.

  • 4 years ago

    Make sure you have all the wiring you need and good lighting installed before the drywall gets completed.

  • 4 years ago

    thank you, I do have the wiring and lighting installed but can't add any walls at this point. We've been at this for almost a year and my husband would kill me if I delayed the progress, LOL.

  • 4 years ago

    Remove the doors and use a room divider between his exercise room and your work space.


  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Can you put the treadmill in the closet and the desk in the study?

  • 4 years ago

    I would swing the study door out into the hallway instead of inward, which will get in the way of the closet doors. I have a little desk area inside a closet in my bedroom and I love it. It keeps me convenient to the action in the house and I can shut the doors when I'm not using the space. Eventually, I'll take over our oldest son's bedroom once he's officially out of the house but this works for the time being.

  • 4 years ago

    That's a great idea. If I needed an office all the time I would use the study for it but just want a little nook available every now and then. Honestly I typically work on my laptop in my bed or on the couch, LOL.

  • 4 years ago

    NEVER EVER swing doors outward into the traffic pattern of hallway.

  • 4 years ago

    If you are talking 2 hours a week it doesn't matter. Leave the doors, lock the door to the room for those 2 hours, be done.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Since you have a study, consider how you could incorporate a small working area that meets your needs. I’d be happier in a congenial, spacious area vs a closet in a not so sweet smelling workout room lol.




    The closet in workout room could actually be quite useful for equipment, keeping it off the floor, and even a mini fridge for water and fruit.


    If you decide on the closet, perhaps a barn door would work.


  • PRO
    4 years ago

    By looking only at the partial plan provided, an outswinging door will not effect the traffic pattern of hallway any more than the inswinging door will.

  • 4 years ago

    I really like Jennifer's last layout.

  • 4 years ago

    I would not do doors at all. I would not want to feel confined in the office by the doors, or supporting wall stubs.

  • 4 years ago

    An outswinging door would be fine in this situation. However, a pocket door to the study would also work as well :)