Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeanne_zhu

Need ideas to make these two separated closet doors look nice

3 years ago

Please see the picture for the current closet design from my architect. The location of the two doors is practical

but I'm afraid they don't look nice (two separate doors on the same wall). I want to go a little wider (currently at 24") but the walk-in closet door would disturb the bedroom door. I can't make them next to each other as it would make the walk-in closet not easy to use. I'd like to avoid sliding doors too.


The side wall and back wall of the walk-in closet are 54" and 90" respectively. The side wall and back wall of the small closet are 30" and 36" respectively.


Would need your help to make the wall with the closet doors look nice.


Comments (12)

  • 3 years ago

    Is there a reason the dividing wall has to be there & they can’t be one big closet? As is, what about pocket door for each with both sliding towards the room entry door? That would allow furniture to be placed on the right wall outside of small closet (same wall bed is on) because no door swing needed & would also eliminate the 2 doors swinging into each other at the big closet entry.

    Jeanne Z thanked KW PNW Z8
  • 3 years ago

    Thanks KW and lisedv. My architect also suggested eliminating the dividing wall and making it one big closet. My concern is that would make the small closet not easy to use. About pocket doors, I feel they alway break. Sorry I'm so picky.

  • PRO
    3 years ago



    Jeanne Z thanked lisedv
  • 3 years ago

    Thanks lisedv. It's def something to think about!

  • 3 years ago

    @Jeanne Z There are pocket doors of all qualities. Good quality doors won’t be a problem - think about those beautiful doors in many older craftsman homes. still looking great & working today. They seem the perfect choice for your issues 1. door swing conflict 2. loss of usable wall space in bedroom 3. don’t want sliding doors on walls . As for closet space usage, why not seek closet design advice for both versions - see how closet design pro would utilize both.

    Jeanne Z thanked KW PNW Z8
  • 3 years ago

    @KW PNW Z8 Thank you so much! I'll do some homework on pocket doors.

  • 3 years ago

    Two doors on one wall doesn't bother me. In my current house and previous house I have the bathroom door and closet door on the same wall. Also in my current house, I have a reach-in closet (in addition to the walk-in) - the door to that is on a different wall and there is a small linen closet on that wall as well. I love having a linen closet in the MB. That allowed me to not have a linen tower in the bathroom which makes the bathroom space more open. When you have two doors on one wall, you put a piece of furniture or just artwork on the wall area in between and it looks fine. On the other hand, the small area is roughly square, so I don't think accessing it from the larger closet will be much different than accessing it from the bedroom. It is deep enough that you might want to look into installing pull-outs or drawers in that area so things don't get lost in the back.

    Jeanne Z thanked kandrewspa
  • 3 years ago

    @kandrewspa Loved your ideas. Thanks for sharing your experience as well. It certainly opened my mind!

  • 3 years ago

    Two doors on one wall doesn’t necessarily bother me either. However, on OP’s closet wall design with 2 closet doors, each door swing creates space loss issues. Just think about increased flexibilty on bed wall for bed size, night stand size or placement if that smaller closet door didn’t swing out to bed wall. And for bigger closet door, must be careful closet door either fully open - in which case one would walk right into door upon entering bedroom - or, that closet door mostly closed so bedroom door can be fully opened without banging into partially open closet door. Solutions are to combine closets & have one door in mid wall. Or, keep the 2 closets & install good quality pocket doors. OP has said doesn’t want sliding doors so no barn doors or bypass doors. Bifold doors might be another option. So, 1. combine closets & move to 1 door in middle, 2. keep closets & install pocket doors, 3. keep closets & use bifold doors

    Jeanne Z thanked KW PNW Z8
  • 3 years ago

    @KW PNW Z8 I think you are a professional!

  • 3 years ago

    @Jeanne Z Wow, thank you for the kudos Jeanne! I’m not a Pro in Houzz world but I think I am creative - my paying gig was finance. 😁 In all settings, it’s always easier to come up with solutions for perceived issues of others rather than our own, yes?