Software
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_poploski

Countertop conundrum - dolomite leathered vs polished?!

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Our kitchen is almost done except for countertops! I found this LEATHERED dolomite milano that I love. They have enough to do out countertops but not a 20" backsplash with ledge the length of the wall above the stove between the 2 window. I found another store that has 1 slab of POLISHED dolomite milano. It matches except that it is polished. I've searched all over for more but without luck!

To make use of what I've been able to find, my thought was that I could have the polished piece honed so that it sort of matched but the fabricator doesn't have that capability.

Sooo, these are the options I've come up with:

1. Have polished backsplash and leathered countertops all in dolomite milano

2. Use the dolomite milano for the pecan-stained cabinets and the backsplash and use a black soapstone-ish quartz for the white cabinet

3. Try to find another fabricator who will hone the dolomite to use for the backsplash.

Would really appreciate any thoughts or recommendations! If anyone has honed a polished stone, is it expensive?









Comments (22)

  • 3 years ago

    I know this is not what you’re asking about, but try Taj Mahal….I think it’ll go better with your warm tones. Polished quartzite offers a bit of “extra protection”, honed is a more casual look….up to you. I wouldn’t mix honed and polished.

    Kathy thanked coray
  • 3 years ago

    Agree that Taj Mahal would look terrific!

    Kathy thanked lkloes
  • 3 years ago

    @coray @lkloes Thanks very much for the recommendation! I've seen Taj Mahal - is really pretty! I thought maybe it would darken the room too much but I'll definitely take a look again! The floors and cabinets do look really warm in the pictures. They are actually much softer and pull more gray in person. Thanks for your time and input!

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    The supports for your countertop cantilever haven't been installed yet?

    Kathy thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 3 years ago

    @Joseph Corlett, LLC nope, not yet!

  • 3 years ago

    I would do option one. The backsplash should be polished anyway.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    IMO honed or leathered stone or quartz is a poor choice in a kitchen it opens pores to staining. What do you mean by ledge above the stove? In my head a really bad idea.

    Kathy thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 3 years ago

    @Patricia Colwell Consulting thanks very much for the feedback! Sorry for the poor description.


    Here's a picture of what i had in mind




  • 3 years ago

    Kathy: our Taj Mahal is very light, not dark at all. The lighter slabs are still available (often sold as Perla Venata), but you do have to search for them.

    Kathy thanked coray
  • 3 years ago

    I agree you need to keep looking till you find two pieces that match exactly. Taj Mahal is hard to find in the light creamy color, but as was said, having the salespeople keep a look out for you often works the best. Talk to them, tell them your problem and you may have a fairy godmother/father who finds what you need.

    Stone countertops are often the star of the room, so don’t compromise.

    Kathy thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Dolomite=marble. Be very careful.

    Kathy thanked User
  • 3 years ago

    Thanks so much for your recommendations!


    @coray your kitchen is so beautiful! I feel like I've seen it on instagram or a blog by the designer!?!?


    @stiley thanks so much! I love that kitchen by Whittney Parkinson! She is one of my favorite designers! Yes, I've been looking for months too! It really is a full time job! It took us 2 years to find the house and we just hit the 1 year mark on the renovation. I'm trying to stay patient!!


    @RedRyder Thanks so much for your advice and recommendations. Hoping something works out because I agree the counters could be the best part!

  • 3 years ago

    Kathy: thank you, that is very sweet of you! I’m sure my kitchen looks somewhat familiar, as it is a conglomeration of many Houzz idea photos.😂 I’m not on Insta, and the “designer” (I use this term loosely😉) was yours truly. Houzz was a great resource and help; first it helped me see what I definitely did NOT want, then what I liked, and lastly to convey my wishes and style to our “cabinet gal”, who helped us realize everything. I cook, bake and entertain, and living with the original kitchen for 5 (long) years gave me plenty of time to figure out what worked (very little), what didn’t, which cabinet “tricks” were important to us, and which weren’t. Happy finishing!

    Kathy thanked coray
  • 3 years ago

    @coray incredibly impressive! You did an amazing job. Love the windows between the upper and lower cabinets. Truly stunning!

  • 3 years ago

    Thank you, Kathy….you are very kind. We can’t really take credit for the windows, all we did was replace the existing ones with walnut Kolbe windows (triple glazed because of cold winters and crazy, noisy winds!).

    Kathy thanked coray
  • 3 years ago

    If you want the leathered countertop, do the backsplash in another material like honed soapstone or tumbled stone. I would not do a leathered countertop - the bumps make it harder to clean especially food particles (I have leathered granite bench in the shower).

    Kathy thanked marylut
  • 3 years ago

    For hardworking kitchen countertop, it is important to look at the stone hardness score on the Mohs scale. Dolomite Mohs score is 3.5 to 4. You need a 6, 6.5, or 7. Dolomite will need sealing annually and careful day to day use. Tomatoes, juices, wine, and other acids can etch Dolomite. Silverware, metal utensils, and other metals can scratch Dolomite.

  • 3 years ago

    I chose super white dolomite for my island that was polished and had it leathered. Dolomite can etch and it was suggested I have it leathered to hide any etching.

    I have had this in my kitchen now for three years and I absolutely LOVE it. I get complimented on the counter all the time. Get what YOU like. You can ask if they will leather the polished stone for you. I had much help here on the forums when building my new home. This is my polished slab.

    My home build · More Info

    Photo of leathered counter (not mine).





    Kathy thanked NewEnglandgal
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    @NewEnglandgal THANK YOU so much for sharing!! Your stone is beautiful! This makes me feel much better. How is cleaning the leathered? Do you feel like it is hard to get up crumbs and such?

  • 2 years ago

    is honed the same as leathered?

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Leathered, and do the same finish for both the countertop and the backsplash. Polished counters tend to be too reflective.