Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chippydudu

Help with Master floor plan, seeking advice

Annette
last year

Hi everyone

I need some help on our new master bedroom design. I’ve tried to play around with the design for too many weeks. I can’t seem to get past this iteration of my design.

This is on the second floor of the North-East corner of the building.

After living with the current layout of the master bathroom and closet, we feel like it could be improved.

The entrance to the closet and bathroom is interesting and seems like a waste of area.

There is a huge specimen of a Ponderosa Pine at the corner of the building but there is no window to view it.

Our current bathroom doesn’t have a bathtub so we’d like to add one.

My DH thinks the water closet (toilet room) is a feature! So keeping that for now.

What would be the downsides that you see in this layout?

Does anyone have bathtub inside a walk-in shower? How do you like it?

My DH has concerns about the distance water splashes outward from a shower.

So, perhaps a solution is to add a shower curtain or glass door in-between the walk-in shower and the bathtub?

Though, I think it would be a cleaner design, both visually and functionally, if there was no barrier like a curtain or glass door.

This is my first attempt at interior design in my house so any suggestions or shared experiences would be so welcome and helpful!

Old Layout

New Plan Idea

New Layout with Tree Perspective

Thanks!

Comments (69)

• marylut
    last year

Comments on Plan 8

• marylut
    last year

Comments on Plan 9

• suzanne_m
    last year
    last modified: last year

Looking at your layouts it seems that you are ok with moving windows, is that right? Is there a possibility of moving the bedroom door by any chance?

Also, would you consider a closet designed professionally with shelves instead of furniture? You could most likely make a very efficient closet while using less floor space.

• Annette
    Original Author
    last year

@mmc429 yes, I have trouble solving that problem.

Was thinking:

(a) to build a custom closet in between the bed and the walk-in closet (so there will be a real closet I/O wall there) with a hidden closet door like below for entering the walk-in closet and then to the bathroom?

(b) not putting a door entering to the bathroom?

I don't know how practical the above two ideas are, maybe I need to start another discussion topics for these.....

Hidden closet is like below:

• Annette
    Original Author
    last year

@suzanne_m. Unfortunately, we cannot move the door due to being constrained on both sides:

Right side: A hallway wall, which is coincident with the wall in the master bedroom that the door swings toward | against.

Left side: Stairs. The stairway from the first floor to a landing at the top; a half step to the left of the doorway.

I had not represented the entrance area outside the master bedroom which would have been useful to visualize this constraint on moving the door way.

Yes, we will have custom build closet.

• suzanne_m
    last year

I am not sure about the measurements and if you have enough storage in your WIC. White rectangles are pocket doors.

EDIT: Maybe your bathroom could be shorten by 2 ft and you can have extra storage on each side of the bathroom door.

EDIT2: You could switch the tub and the toilet room. Just make sure the plumbing of the toilet is not inside the bedroom wall.

• Annette
    Original Author
    last year

@marylut thank you for pointing out all the bed designs (you really have good eyes lol and I guess I was too tired to think clear while putting these layout out.... )

The shower space in my plan is 58"x42", is that too small?

• marylut
    last year

42” is only 3’6” feet. Seems tight since one needs more elbow room in shower for back washing than walking down a hall. Won’t y’all bump an elbow on shower wall? BTW I like Suzanne’s plan with Edit 2 swapping toilet and alcove tub under windows with both plumbing on the shared wall. Your idea of the rooms behind paneled doors is pretty but would eat up a lot of budget - and lumber supply still seems hard to get - wouldn’t you rather splurge on the bathroom materials (and extras like toto Washlet) and a custom closet system?

• marylut
    last year

If you like panelling, you have room for built-ins and spot for TV across from bed.

• Annette
    Original Author
    last year

@suzanne_m, @marylut thank you so much for your help! Really appreciated!!!!

I love the plan with Edit 2.... and thank you @marylut for putting out a very similar plan first). I will need to put that in the actual floor plan to see what the actual sqft are (ideally bedroom is around 220~225 sqft, closet is around 80~85 sqft, bathroom is around 117~123 sqft)

I just couldn't let go of the idea of having a freestanding tub at the upper right corner (north-east corner) (really want to put a freestanding tub in the master bathroom) and closet next to the bed.... which means the rest of the bathroom is at the bottom right..... I just couldn't figure out a perfect floor plan for that idea.... maybe i just don't have enough space to bring that to reality.... ;'-(

• marylut
    last year

To clean floor around a freestanding tub it is recommended you have 12 in between tub and each end wall. So 5 ft wide tub takes up 7 ft. And you need 30 inches in front of tub to get in. I feel a tub is prettier if part of the end isn’t hidden behind a vanity. There are air jet tubs that come in same size as standard alcove tub (60” x 34”) so you still get water motion but more hygienic than water jets/jacuzzi. A “drop in” tub needs a thick surround for support and looks bulky, an alcove tub is supported by 3 walls and looks sleeker.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

My preference is to keep the closet and bathroom separate. So, would infill the wall between the closet and bathroom where your closet door is not and add would place the closet door directly opposite from your bedroom doors.

• marylut
    last year

View of wall closets and TV from bed

• marylut
    last year

View into bathroom if small window stays in BR

• marylut
    last year

For walk in closet, allow 2 ft D for hangers and 3 ft clearance in front to stand, even more clearance in front of drawers to open them. Money well spent for pro closet designer, which I am not.

• suzanne_m
    last year

On the rendering above, I think you have room for a free standing tub. You would have 6'10" for the tub + 4.5" for wall + 5'4.5" toilet room. I would put a pocket for the bathroom as the toilet door is right by the entrance.

• suzanne_m
    last year

I believe that on this one the shower is big enough to be a walk-in shower. The yellow wall is a pony wall to allow you to mount a towel bar inside the shower:

Or if you want to feel it more open when you enter the bedroom, you could store your bathroom supplies in a closet outside the bathroom:

• Karenseb
    last year

I hesitate to show this to you, but it does give you the view, the tub and the toilet room. It may or may not work depending on measurements.

Some people do not like walking throught the bathroom to get to the closet, but with a good fan and toilet room, I think it can work. The closet is smaller but has room to stand inside. I like toilet rooms to be at least 42 inches wide on the interior. I would use a pocket door for sure if that works.. Otherwise I would not do this plan.

A shower 3 X 5 is spacious..I put the shower head on a wall opposite the bathroom entry to keep noise down.

• Karenseb
    last year

Here is another idea that uses a drop in tub and showcases the vanity. I would make the toilet room at least 5 feet by 42 inches. A shower over 54 inches by 42 is very spacious.

• suzanne_m
    last year

In Karen's last layout, I would switch the toilet and the shower so you can have a wall close by to mount a towel bar when you get out of the shower. You can also have a window above the toilet.

If you switch the toilet with the shower, you could skip the bench and move the vanity towards the tub a bit and have a cabinet to between the vanity and the toilet.

• ptreckel
    last year

Or, push the vanity closer to the tub and mount a heated towel bar between the shower and the vanity. The shower window, as is, will bring some light into the room. Enclosed in the toilet space, there will be no other windows in over half of the bathroom. Or, if movement of the vanity towards the tub isn’t possible, a hook might be possible on the wall beside the shower stall. Or a towel bar on the side of the vanity. Or a cross bar handle on the shower door upon which a towel might be hung. The wall behind the entrance door to the bathroom OR the wall beside the toilet room aren’t terribly far away from the shower.

• suzanne_m
    last year

Looking at the measurements in the last layout I drew, the space does not allow for a walk-in shower. You would need to switch the shower and the toilet.

• ptreckel
    last year

Or, Suzanne_m, perhaps just turn the toilet so it faces into the room. That will free up another foot for the length and possibly the width of the shower.

• marylut
    last year

7x7 closet is only 49 Sq ft and Annette wants 80 Sq ft or more.

• suzanne_m
    last year

I reduced your closet by 3". I must say a 5'10" wide closet is a bit tight for hanging space on one side and shelves on the other side but it is doable if you have shallow shelves (actual hanger is 17" wide, so let's give 21" for hanging a clothe + 36" walkway + 13" shelves). Your shower towel may go on a bar mounted on the bathroom door.

EDIT: You could place a basket on the vanity filled with rolled face clothes or paper towels since you don't have room to mount a towel ring on each side of the vanity.

• suzanne_m
    last year

If you let go of 5'6" shelves in your closet and a big closet for your linen/bathroom supplies (green rectangle in previous layout), you could add a direct access to your closet from the bathroom. The area around the tub is more spacious and you have room for a towel bar on each side of the vanity. The green rectangle is a little storage for your linen/bathroom supplies (see houzz image below for narrow storage). Note that I had to make the green rectangle deeper than needed because you need a wall to slide the pocket door. You could also have a pull-out instead of shelves.

Master Bathroom Remodel · More Info

Note that you could slide the pocket door where the towel bar for the tub is and keep the bathroom storage inside the closet.

• marylut
    last year

Another stab at a floor plan that checks all the boxes

• marylut
    last year

Details

• suzanne_m
    last year

I don't know if you are at liberty of moving/adding windows anywhere in bedroom and bathroom:

• Annette
    Original Author
    last year

Hi guys, thank you so much for all your support and effort trying to help out! I am so grateful to have so many comments on my bathroom design.

I tried to take a break from the floor plan mass that I've created and focused on kitchen appliances last week so when I came back to master bathroom design, I can have a fresh mind for some improvements.

I came down to these 3 layouts and hoping my final design will be one of them..... Again, any critiques and suggestions are welcome as I am still trying to learn and find the best solution.

@marylut, @suzanne_m, @Karenseb, @ptreckel I value all your comments

Plan A: this probably is my favorite as it meets the following "ideal lists":

1. bathtub is at the north-east corner with the view of the ponderosa pine trees

2. pretty private space to sock in the bathtub

2. closet next to the bed

3. water running noise in the bathroom can be blocked a little bit by the closet (I am a very sensitive/light sleeper)

Note: the white rectangle can be a bathroom closet

or I can move the wall up so the space is more defined and clear, like below

Plan A-1

Plan B

Thank you @suzanne_m for the suggestion. One concern from my DH is the entrance of the bedroom may be too narrow? (not enough open space and you have to kind of turn 90 degree to get into the bedroom?)

Plan C

Thank you @suzanne_m and @marylut for the idea. I just found out I can put the double vanity on the north side as the pipe won't be in the exterior wall (the plumbing will be from the floor)

Only downside is toilet and double vanity next to the bed....

Let me know which one you like the best and which one works the best (if there's one.... lol)

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

I think Karen’s last option is really great. No tight aisles or bottlenecks, plumbing is far from a light sleeper and tub is in desired corner. Couple that layout with built ins across the bed like Marylut showed and I think you have a winner.

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

I tweaked Karen’s a bit to enlarge the closet, add a linen closet, and clean up door locations.

• ptreckel
    last year

I really like thinkdivinelive’s plan. It does reduce your bedroom width by a few feet, but the simplicity of the layout provides adequate space in all areas. Love the windows in the bathroom, location of the key fixtures and the entrance to the room, closet and bath. Nice job!

• marylut
    last year

Perhaps reduce the WIC from 8ft to 7ft wide. You need 2ft for hanging items x 2 sides is 4ft wide, plus 3ft wide to stand, so 7ft total width is all that is needed.

• marylut
    last year

@Annette, please don’t get discouraged, the more time spent planning for best use of floor space, the better the final result. Your contractor can tell you how much moving the toilet and toilet vent stack will add to the cost so you can decide if cost is worth it. Also, unless you plan to dress inside the closet (a dressing room) you can get as much closet usable space from a reach in closet without eating up the 3’ empty floor space a WIC needs.

• Karenseb
    last year

Here another take on my original idea that keeps the closet and bahtroom together. Helps in noise and light control. A good fan will help.

You could add a linen cabinet next to the toilet room.

You could increase the closet to 8 feet in length.

• suzanne_m
    last year

I would make some modifications on the plan A-1. A functional one row closet is 5'0" wide and a two row closet is 7'0". As you can see 5'4" is not enough for 2 rows and you have some wasted space for a one row closet. I would take another 8" from your bedroom and then you could have a one row hanging space with a one row 1'0" shelves.

I also move the vanity on the exterior wall. If you have room to slide a door in the toilet room wall, I would put a pocket door. I would also have a 15" deep cabinet in the bathroom instead of 20".

Your bedroom would be: 15'4" x 13'10" = 212 sq ft.

• suzanne_m
    last year

Compare to the one above, I like this one better:

• marylut
    last year

If going to the trouble of a freestanding tub, and you want the full WOW factor, please do not ruin the visual effect with any arrangement that hides part of the tub from full view.

• suzanne_m
    last year

I agree with marylut if you want the WOW factor with a free standing tub, it should not be tucked among the other bathroom elements. But if you want just a nice place to relax, being in the corner is fine but you could save 1 ft in your bedroom (or have a bigger closet) if you go with a deck where you can put candles etc.

• mmc429
    last year

Suzanne, good work, but it looks like if I need to run to use the toilet I have to open 4 doors along the way. Might be worth it and a great layout if there’s another usable bathroom nearer the rest of the house.

• suzanne_m
    last year

Thanks mmc429 . I have the feeling that you would go to that bathroom only if you are already in the bedroom and also I suspect that most people keep their closet and/or their bathroom door open. It may annoy Annette if she is the type who keeps her doors close at all times except when needed ... only she knows ...

Personally, I find the toilet private enough, I would not put a door.

• Annette
    Original Author
    last year

Wow guys.... I think we got a winner here!!!!!!

I am really really speechless (in a very good way) on how much help I got from all of you and this community...... Words can't express how much me and my DH appreciate every of your comment/advise..... you guys are awesome!!!

Thank you @Karenseb for putting that sketch out and @thinkdesignlive to bring it back to life, otherwise it just got buried in all my other designs. @marylut really appreciate your kind words and encouragement @suzanne_m for trying out other options.....

Can't wait to share this with my GC and see it becomes reality!!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

• suzanne_m
    last year

You might consider losing 2 ft of closet hanging space and have a bathroom door that is not in conflict with your bedroom door.

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

I agree w Suzanne - when you drew up the plan I tweaked from Karen you moved the bathroom door down too much. I like what Suzanne is showing as well. Good luck with your renovations!

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

Oops forgot to say - if you and your partner are on separate schedules for using the closet then going with the 7’ width is fine. If you find yourselves in there at the same time quite frequently then I’d go with the 8’ width. Remember you’re gaining 1’ more of storage in addition to the legroom and I don’t think that loss of space in the bedroom matters as much. Signing out😁

• suzanne_m
    last year

With the layout above, I would probably have a wall on the right side of the cabinet so you have a place to mount a frame. This will give you something nice to look at when you enter the bathroom.

Also, I am not sure how long is your vanity but if it is longer than 6'6", I would make it 6'6" and give the extra space to the shower and the toilet area. This space is already small, so give more width would help even though more length would be be better.

• Annette
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the advice! The reason moving the bathroom door down is to have more closet space.... my original WIC is around 64sqft which is a bit small for us. If I move 2 ft up, then WIC is now only 60 sqft.....

• suzanne_m
    last year

Personally, I would try to find more storage in your bedroom and not have to deal with the bedroom and bathroom doors. My bathroom door overlaps only 1/4 in. with my bedroom door and I find it annoying during the night to deal with the two doors to get in the bathroom (I sleep with my bedroom door opened). Also, with 2 people you can get in the situation where one enters the bedroom while the other exit the bathroom.

I would not count only the sq footage of the closet. The configuration is more important. In a 7'0" x 7'9" closet you can have 15'6" of hanging space and a 3'0" wide shelf at the back for a total of 18'6". I think in your original WIC, you have less storage space because of the angled wall.

• Annette
    Original Author
    last year

Hello to everyone on this thread that contributed to and elevated the master bedroom & bath plan for my home.

I humbly appreciate the contributions from each of you.

Your improvements are clearly and visibly apparent.

For those interested in following this plan further, I have posted a specific window sizing and placement question, that we could argue, could be also be a debate about the existence of a window or not, based on early feedback.

Could this corner window idea work? We'd love your input. Especially before my DH and I make a big & expensive rookie mistake.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6333279/scenic-bathroom-window-size-and-placement-do-s-or-dont-s