Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chippydudu

scenic bathroom window size and placement... do's or dont's

Annette
last year
last modified: last year

As home design rookies, we (my DH and I) wanted to ask for help and perspectives about the appropriate size and placement of large windows, surrounding a freestanding bathtub.

One fundamental rule that we have read is that the tops of windows should be aligned.

Our dedicated framer created of a 72-inch heigh window on the North wall.

A free-standing tub will be in the area shown, length-wise along parallel the 60-inch width of the North-facing window.

We wonder if the window sill of the window on the North wall should be higher than the red line indicating the bottom of a 60-inch high window.

On the East wall (right side of corner), the position of the window sill (bottom) is limited by a roof line that starts at that level and goes down to cover a portion of the first floor jutting out a few feet beyond the East wall shown in this second floor room.

What fundamental conventions or best practices should we want to avoid violating while trying to achieve a scenic bathtub window layout?

My DH wonders what window size and placement would yield the best look on the outside of the house, as well.

Our GC thought that two tall but narrower windows on the North wall may appeal to his sensibilities and conventions.

The house itself is on the corner of a housing development abutted to a strip of National Forest. There is more than 1/8th of a mile of forest to the North and about 1 mile of forest to the East.

We will try to add more info to our question, after a fresh look at what we wrote today.

Would it be helpful to see a straight-on pic of the North wall? And also a pic of the exterior corner of the home?

Thank you, all!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Where is the bath layout, and where is the bath in the new home. Where is the floor plan? What are you framing TO?

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

One thing to keep in mind - since the tub will be so close to the windows you will probably be required to have safety glazing (glass) in the windows. You can check with your local building official to get an opinion as to the requirement for safety glazing.

• Valinta
    last year

Not to mention good window coverings that will block the view. If you are soaking in the tub you will only see sky anyway so consider windows no lower than sholuder height for privacy, yet allowing plenty of natural light.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I would need to understand the reason to have windows with a view in a bathroom since the windows will need to be very close to the floor to allow a view while in the tub. So a floor plan sahowing all measurements and some info as to the location of the home to understand what is planned for privacy or is it a moot point. I need to see the whole house plan to understand this choice.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

I bet if you ask the entire human race the OPTIMAL time for a soak in the tub? The reply is "before bed", unless one suffers extreme body ache or a debilitating flu?

So unless you live at the land of the northern lights? You're staring at a black hole, PERHAPS stars if a clear night and you are truly lucky. Which leads me to ask, when are we ever going to let go of the idea that a tub should sit at a big window that will need a covering for privacy or any sense of comforting enclosure. Just sayin...........it's been decades of idiocy in my mind. A pretty vignette in daylight. An upgrade to a built in lake size honker in a suburban McMansion, subsequently ripped out all over that suburban landscape. Big boo hoo, and WHOO hoo : )

• Annette
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for the specific prompts & suggestions. It was helpful in finding specific pics. Evidently we can't take enough pics! Hopefully, the the two pics begin to provide some context.

The final master floor plan.

And some exterior views.

Above is the East side of the house; facing due East to catch the morning sun. The red outline is approximating the 48" x 48" window placement.

Below is the North wall. The original builder may have purposely not put any windows on the North wall and perhaps the second owner inserted the small octagon window. We can only speculate. Is there a convention to not put windows on North walls? My DH wonders that one.

Well, anyway, the red outline is approximating the 60" x 72" window placement on the North wall.

Our windows will be replaced.

And the siding will be replaced.

And we will definitely not be putting that wide "we don't know what we to call it, maybe shaker" window trim back on the house surrounding the new windows. :-)

Will be going for a white with black trim look.

Thanks for your interest and input. I genuinely appreciate it. Y'all make the process more fun due to the collaboration and excellent ideas.

A&D

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

I see snow. Commonly, windows on a north wall are less desirable than other exposures, unless you happen to be an artist.

Colder temperature and no direct sunlight. Decades ago, a huge energy consideration. Still is to a degree, though far less than it used to be.

Would I want a huge window on a north wall at a soaking tub? No........not with any amount of "new" . But that's me.I don't really want to see snow when I'm in a tub. But again......that's

also me. : ) Palm trees? Okay.

Not to mention, your master bath shower is rather a sacrificial lamb here......congested by the toilet and narrow at 36 inches if that.

Basically? You'd have to be in the tub for half of every day to sell me the entire primary suite.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I do bathe every night and have no desire to see outside when doing so. I also dislike freestanding tubs and when my clients want one I send them to test drive getting in and out . I grew up with a cast iron tub FS and hated getting in and out even as a teenager. Almost all my clients opt for a alcove tub or a drop in after the test drive. If you bathe all the time I get wanting a tub but I agree you put the shower in a bad space to get a tub . BTW no entry to a closet from the bathroom abd I really dislike toilet rooms they make no sense since no one should be using the toilet while someone is bathing, or brushing their teeth.I agree N. facing windows were usually avoided to control heating costs . I find with good windows I love my N side of my home with big windows looking out to the back yard. I aslo would much prefer windows in the bedroom on 2 walls than 2 in the bathroom

• Lorraine Leroux
    last year

Put the tub in place over the weekend when no contractors are around and try it out. This will show you what height you would like the bottom of the window at.

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

I would match the height of the windows at each side regardless of freestanding or built in tub.