Software
Houzz Logo Print
raymondcannetti

Exterior Choices For 80s Contemporary

3 years ago

We are renovating our 80s contemporary (1989). We love the form/layout but it's time for some updating. The house's current exterior color is a bluish gray, trim same. We would like to start with a black roof, possibly metal; gray siding with a tinge of earthy green (BM Sabre Green or Revere Pewter?), and re-stain our paneled, wooden garage door with a warm cedar color. We have Anderson windows, brown vinyl clad and, after a ton of research, are thinking about painting the vinyl a black color. The gable ends are brick, Flemish bond because ... I don't know but we kinda like it and we won't paint them. We are surrounded by woods, on a creek, facing west in the Middle Atlantic and our hope is to look as if we have been here awhile. We don't want a dramatic house if that makes sense. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.







Comments (8)

  • 3 years ago

    I am very sensitive to noise and the metal roof would make it impossible for me to sleep during a rain or hail storm. I would never consider a metal roof. I love the idea of an earthy green color for the siding. The only concern I would have with the green is a possible clash with the brick. Color does not exist in a vacuum. We need to consider all colors - including the grass, sky, and the neighbors house colors. About the roof, the black may be harsh - depends where you live. Even a dark gray would not be as bad. If you live in a warm climate, a lighter color is better. If you live in a cold climate, a dark roof is good.

    raymondcannetti thanked Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • 3 years ago

    As Elaine said, a black roof will cause your house to heat up in the summer. That is enough for me to pass on it. Medium gray is a good color that goes with a lot of different siding colors. I don't love the current color with your brick - the blue tint is what is problematic (although maybe this looks better in person). Leaning green would be a better choice. I don't know if you'll find Revere Pewter to lean green however. But since it is a warm gray it might still be a good choice. Colors on exteriors are frequently different than you think based on looking at a chip, so you will need to sample on all sides of your house to see how it looks. I used BM Nantucket Gray HC-111 on my previous house. It has more green in it than you might think.

    raymondcannetti thanked kandrewspa
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Thank you so much, everyone. The brick does worry me and I am not sure if it would clash so my plan is to paint a swath once I narrow it down. I don't have neighbors, but I am concerned about the potential for clash. I have gone back and forth on the metal roof. Someone suggested high def shingles but I am worried that the roof is pretty massive and added interest from the shingles would make the roof too much of a star. But I could be wrong and thank you -- dark gray for the roof would be a better choice. We are in Maryland. Thank you again.

    Edit: So much to think about! Just what I needed to frame my thinking. Thank you.

  • 3 years ago

    I would go with a gray roof and do a dark color on the siding.

    raymondcannetti thanked houssaon
  • PRO
    3 years ago

    IMO we need to see a close up of the brick. The pictures of all the cchoices you think you want all in acomment on this post. These homes usually look best in dark colors but the brick is the thing that will drive the color scheme I do not think painting vinyl windows is a good plan that paint will not last . it hink theurban broze color for the siding might work with the brick and the natural cedar of the garage door but IMO that garge door will probably never look like natural cedar so either get a cedar door or do that one like the siding. Maybe add the natural cedar on the deck and get to work on some awesome landscaping.

    raymondcannetti thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 3 years ago

    Charcoal and brick can work; here are two shades. The roof would be the issue for me. I'm in the south and HVAC would be outrageous with a black roof. I love the sound of rain on a metal roof, and if you plan on any solar panels, I understand they mount most easily on a standing seam roof without drilling holes everywhere.

    Magnolia Residence 03 · More Info


    raymondcannetti thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 3 years ago

    You mentioned black paint on vinyl siding. While vinyl siding can be painted with a special paint, black isnt a good color for it. The siding will absorb heat and will warp. All dark colors will do this on vinyl. Lighter paint colors on the vinyl, will be just fine.

    raymondcannetti thanked cat_ky