Software
Houzz Logo Print
robert_brown97100

Blue Star 30” Range Still The Go-To?

3 years ago

Moving next summer and have the opportunity to put a gas range in. I’ve always wanted a Blue Star. Are they still a solid choice? Haven’t researched in years. Anyone buy one recently?


Moving away from a GE Cafe Induction double oven. It’s bittersweet, but I’ve missed the eveness of gas cooking.


Thanks for any info. If there are any other gas ranges I should look at please share! I may just get the gas version of the double oven range I currently own, but tough to not consider the Blue Star.

Comments (14)

  • 3 years ago

    Heat through the oven door? Really, still? I have a 1 year old and a 4 year old. That isn’t great news

  • 3 years ago

    We are leaning towards a 30" RCS. Price seems about $800 less than a Wolf for a better stove. I haven't seen anything else in the sub $5K price range that looks better, but I'm happy to look at all options.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    CR tested the 36" BlueStar RCS36SBSS which achieved a very low score. It's been replaced by the BlueStar RCS36SBV2 but it's impossible to know how much the range really changed. The 30" version is the BlueStar RCS30SBV2. The only "pro-style" 30" gas range that received a recommended rating is the Monogram ZGP304NTSS.

  • 3 years ago

    you think gas is more even than induction? Hmmm...


    in any case you should look at your hood since gas will produce way more heat than induction. The hood may need to be changed

  • 3 years ago

    Hood will be installed before gas range. And yes, induction may be the most uneven heat source of them all. Still fantastic, but heats unevenly with the concentrarion of heat directly above the element. Very easy to cook bacon and get cooked and crispy bacon in the middle and chewy on the ends.

  • 3 years ago

    @wdccruise thanks so much for the info on the Monogram. Did some reading and comparisons and it’s checking all the boxes. Looks pretty perfect.


    Wish I could do 36” for 6 burners but that’s not possible and 30” ranges with 5 or 6 burners are so cramped I’d never be able to use that many pans anyway.

  • 3 years ago

    wdc--I don't have access to cr. What didn't they like about the Bluestar? We want something simple, reliable, and with strong burners that put the heat where Bluestar claims it is going vs my experience with Wolf where the high heat is all at the perimeter of the pan.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    "What didn't they like about the Bluestar?"

    Note that CR tested the BlueStar RCS36SBSS which was replaced by the BlueStar RCS36SBV2 whose differences are unknown. "Poor at low heat cooktop performance", mediocre performance on all other tests, poor brand predicted reliability.

    https://www.consumerreports.org/products/ranges-28974/pro-style-ranges-36820/view2/ ($10/month digital)

  • 3 years ago

    Hood will be installed before gas range. And yes, induction may be the most uneven heat source of them all. Still fantastic, but heats unevenly with the concentrarion of heat directly above the element. Very easy to cook bacon and get cooked and crispy bacon in the middle and chewy on the ends.

    What brand induction do you have because I haven't experienced that at all. I have the Bosch 800 induction cooktop and everything cooks very evenly. A heck of a lot more evenly than even my OLD Jenn-air gas stove did.

  • 3 years ago

    GE Cafe range with double oven. It’s fantastic. Induction heats the pan directly above the coils. If I use my 9.4” fry pan on the largest burner, it’s very even because the coil is the same size as the bottom of the pan. If I use my larger fry pan than it’s more uneven as the heat spreads out from the coil. Can literally cook a piece of bacon through in the middle and keep it flabby on the ends. The best way around this is to buy heavy disked based cookware like Paderno or Fissler.


    Scientifcally, induction is the least even heat source and radiant heat is the most even. Induction Cooktops may be more even if their coils are larger, but that’s the only way to make induction more even - increase size (or use different technology that isn’t really used).


    I have the Demeyere Teppanyaki and it’s an incredible piece of cookware. Spread over to two burners though, I get two nice hot spots directly above the coils, and then the rest of the teppanyaki is varying levels of heat with the least amount being directly between the two coils. So for something like pancakes, I need to put the pancakes directly over the burners to ensure they cook evenly. Just one example. Not the end of the world and I’ve definitely cooked fantastic food on induction, but beginning to tire of the uneveness.

  • 3 years ago

    I've had the BlueStar RCS366BV2 (open burner) installed for 2 years, use it daily, and I love it! I haven't noticed any heat issue from oven door.

  • 3 years ago

    @wdccruise I bought the GE Monogram a few days ago! Thanks for making me aware of it!

  • 3 years ago

    I have a Monogram (duel fuel) and have been happy with it. The cook top is really easy to clean up and the service from GE has been great (I wanted advice on cleaning up a spill without using the self clean).