Shop Products
countryd

Update bonus room

countryd

Our bonus room over 3 car garage needs an update to be a multi use room for young family. Can you help setup room for a good size crafts desk, a keyboard for music interests, and a king or 2 twins for visiting family. Beautiful large window, but dormers are limiting design ideas. Would consider Murphy beds?? Should I think about feng shui? TV important for guest and as get away for parents.

Transitional or contemporary style, but right now desperately need idea for furniture placement.

Thank you!

• partim

I would use 2 inflatable twin mattresses for guests. They are quite comfortable. I wouldn't think about feng shui at all.

IMO 2 sofa beds would be a great choice both for sleeping and watching TV With some nice cabinets to store craft stuff and I love Besta from Ikea for TV storage and a even a bit of display if you want. A floor plan is great but we also need pics of all 4 walls.

suggestions please! bonus room

I think if you changed the paint color that you could easily keep the color of the bookshelf. I would choose something in the tans ranges, or even taupes. Whatever color your choose I would suggest painting the ceiling white to reflect more light. You would be suprised at how cheap paint is and how big of an impact it has on your area! I would suggest dropping your tv down several inches. It seems like you would be looking up at it rather than looking straight at it. You should also add some art work to the space. I would suggest some family photos, maybe in black and white or sepia tone. Not a lot, but enough to personalize the space. You could even purchase some inexpensive art work for the walls too. You could also buy a rectangular mirror to help bounce light around the room. Good luck!

Want to update living room and bonus room

Tina, where are you in the process of converting your bonus room? I'd love an update.

Bonus Room Makeover

Great job! You really brought the homeowners vision to life!

Bonus room layout ideas and new furniture

Get blackout shades for the windows so you can put the TV on the big blank wall. That makes one less wall to decorate. Get a really long console to take up a lot of the wall. If you want then you can even get a bigger TV. Rehang your framed art, but hang only three in a row, not staggered, with a couple of inches between. And yes, we need a floor plan to advise on furniture.
  • KW

@countryd

Agree with @partim about the beds. Your listing of a ’king or two twins’ makes me think your guest bed needs aren’t either defined or frequent. So, why make beds a prominent feature of the room? A recliner couch provides lovely spot for any napping needs! I have 3 air beds - 2 extra long twins & one full sized & those beds have met every overnight guest set up we’ve needed over several years. I’ve set all 3 beds up in my upstairs bonus room for 3 teen boys, the full has been set up in downstairs office for my older aunt with 2 twins upstairs for 2 other adults. I do have a guest bedroom with a queen bed too so the air beds come out when I have a full house in my 2 bedroom 2,300 sq ft home. My point is, why permanently take up valuable floor space in your bonus room for occasional overnight guests? Today’s air beds have built in pumps for auto fill & deflate & are 24” & more off the floor - they aren’t camping air mattresses & all my guests have expressed that they’ve slept well on them. They’re pretty easy to store in their protective covers - mine are in garage on a top shelf. BTW my upstairs bonus room has a vintage oak 36” square draw leaf table - each leaf is 12” wide. A recliner couch, loveseat & comfy chair with a big TV console for the 60” TV & for storage & a book case, end tables, lamps - all filts well with lots of walking floor space.. We do also have a walk in closet up there with shelving for all the project stuff, a vacuum & more. The room gets high use for craft projects & puzzles on table, evening TV watching & playing with our little dog who loves the carpeted flooring to chase toys without sliding.

ETA My bonus room is also over a 3 car extra large garage. Has one 6’ wide window & is a bit over 20’ long with sloped ceilngs down to 5’ high along the length on both sides. The 8’ ceiling is @ 8’ wide I think. Room is close to 400 sq ft. Couch fits comfortably along one long wall, TV on console is across from it - TV is centered on console top so the slope of ceiling not an issue. Craft table near the West facing window to take advantage of great natural light. Comfy chair & another console over at landing at top of stairs - a nice reading spot with lamp there.

• KW

Still wouldn’t take up floor space for permanent beds - or wall space with a murphy bed. Too limiting, Expect to spend some $$ for a quality piece - paying for the mechanism as well as the ‘furniture quality frame.

• ptreckel

How tall are your side walls? Murphy beds will take up an entire large wall, prohibiting its practical use. (I know they are often masked with book shelves, but they can’t be as functional as real shelves, etc. At most I would consider two twin beds with upholstered caps, positioned in an L shape under, perhaps, a corner table with a lamp. And then bolster pillows, so they can serve as slouchy places to curl up when not used as beds. Perhaps one could have a trundle pull out, below. Just an option, especially if your side walls are short.

• countryd

Thanks again to clarify, entrance door wall and large wondow wall 8’ dormer wall is only short vaulted wall key board niw sits comfortably between dormer windows

• elcieg

Put a twin bed under each window.

• tracefloyd

If this is also a parent getaway then don't get convertable beds. Just have two twin beds there ready to flop into when it's Mom or Dad nap time lol! Believe me you will appreciate it. Everyone will use those beds all the time...who doesn't love a bed in a loft?

The two armchairs shown could also be a sofa and coffee table. The craft table is the one with two desk chairs. The keyboard is in the dormer next to the TV.

This is a concept rendering and not to scale. I did not measure the pieces.

• countryd

Thank you, glad to actually see a layout. Do you think I could flip this so I could keep window open for viewing while working at table?

• tracefloyd

I'm glad you like my concept. I'm unclear on your question.

I placed the craft table in front of what appears to be open windows in the upper left of the floor plan you provided. The two half circles represent workchairs or desk chairs facing those windows while at the table.

• countryd

so sorry, what you see is two sets of closet doors, this window is across from the entry door. there is nothing on walls left or right of window and wall between dormer wall is 5'high. All other walls are full ht. Can you try again. I do like the twin bed idea. Thanks much! This is a really difficult room

• KW

@countryd - how long is the wall between the 2 dormers? I understand the ceiling height on that wall is 5’ but it is sloped / angled down from 8’ in center to 5’ at wall, correct?

• countryd

Yes correct. Wall between dormers is 5'9"

• chispa

My parents have a queen size Murphy bed with upgraded mattress ... I hate sleeping on that thing! They live about 1.5 hours away so I usually go visit for the day, but sometimes I spend a night or two with them.

Either do 2 twins or one twin with a pop up trundle stored under it, if you want more floor space for everyday use.

• Kendrah

I hate murphy beds because you have to clear the floor space to open them and then where do you push that furniture to? They make little sense to me. I think a single bed with a trundle could be good. Also, why a king sized bed? Plenty of guest rooms have full or queens.

• tracefloyd

Here the keyboard could go on the door wall or window wall. I placed an ottoman by the closets to be used as a dressing area or extra portable seating.

With two twin beds -- or one twin with pop up trundle:

• countryd

Wow great ideas thank you. The tv may be a bit low, but I think I can make it work.I l also liked someones idea of one twin with a pop up trundle, not sure how to balance that idea in room. Again thank you for your time!

• tracefloyd

Yes, I wasn't sure what a popup trundle worked. It wouldn't work in the dormer. Fold a sleeping cot under the bed. I don't know what your bedding needs are but there are everything from basic campers to heavy duty luxurious.

I found this on Amazon and it has different mattress pad options:

• KW

TV won’t be low if it sits on a console instead of being wall mounted. The TV on console won’t be flat against wall but centered on console top which is flat against the wall no matter whether it’s the 5’ or 8’ wall.

• loobab

If you want to be able to get your crafts out of the way when it's time for your parents to be there or for your family fun, I saw something advertised on TV the name of which I just can't remember, but maybe another Houzzer does. It's an entire modular craft storage unit with all sorts of great features including a seating area and fold down desk and place for a sewing machine, etc. And when you are down crafting, sewing whatever, it fold up and looks like a neat storage closet.

DreamBox

WorkBox 3.0

• tracefloyd

Yes, a TV console stand per KW, good idea.

Pull the console out 12" to 18" away from the wall for even more headroom under the sloped ceiling and the TV can be on a taller stand. The sofa has room to be pulled back.

You might get away with that stand you have if the sofa is aligned to the window arch.

I was going to suggest a blow-up bed but it looks like you have your floor plan with the two beds. I think beds will be nice in the dormers.

• KW

The console won’t need to be pulled away from wall! I’m not home or I’d post a pic of my almost 6’ console with 65” I think TV. Console is against the 5’ high wall, TV sitting in center of it depth wise & it clears the ceiling. Works perfectly.

• tracefloyd

You sound so happy! It's great that you can use your existing pieces. It's nice to have another Houzzer take my ideas and implement them in real time. Yay! Have fun in your new room. You deserve it.

• tracefloyd

You might be able to incorporate some of these ideas for accent walls. Some of the decor is a little wild though lol.

Country House 1 · More Info

Boston Area Family Home · More Info

Harwich Port Historic Home Renovation · More Info

Contemporary Kids · More Info

Mill Valley Classic Cottage · More Info

Hidden Hills, CA · More Info

Edina Tudor Estate · More Info