Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_cusaac

Old Red Oak flooring (assuming) Finishing Ideas

L C
last year

Help! I have been working on redoing the flooring in my house. I’m assuming it’s old red oak (pre 1960). For reference, I have a child and two dogs and need something that can withstand that. I saw a post of someone talking about putting 2 coats of the Bona Nordic Seal and then 3 coats of Bona MegaONE (which I loved). On the other hand, I heard someone use the Bona Classic instead. I’m trying to avoid the floors being orange/yellow toned. I heard the Bona Nordic is difficult to DIY and can leave streaks, so I’m unsure of what to do! Photos of my unfinished floors are provided for reference.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

I have no experience with the mentioned products but maybe consider this regarding your choice on the finish:

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year
    last modified: last year

IMO refinishing wood floors is not usually DIY and with a dog even less so. One dog hair will make you crazy when it is stuck in the finish. My advice first find out what wood that is .Then get some real help as to what finish to choose .What is the flooring in the kitchen it does not look the same and also why layed in a different direction?How are you going to handle the patch needed whare it looks like white whatever. Patches need to be woven in to look best . My advice get a pro to do this job since you have left the baseboard on to sand IMO you are not ready to DIY this . The basborads all need to be removed before sanding and refinishing .

• L C
    Original Author
    last year

The house is currently not being lived in. The flooring was installed that way when the house was purchased. The flooring in the kitchen had vinyl flooring that covered it, so the flooring is original to the house and looked like that when the vinyl was pulled up. No idea what the white part is, but plan to fix it. The flooring in the kitchen is newer and was covered. The sanding is already almost done, with minor things the be done. Quarter round still needs to go down. So my post was about what kind of finish and seal would be best for the circumstances of what the floors would come in contact with, appreciate your comment though Patricia.

• Illie
    last year

We initially did Bona Nordic. the color was nice and not orangey, almost the color of sanded wood. Be careful with it because ours had milky white streaks throughout. We had to redo with a darker color.

• L C
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you, I appreciate that! That is what we had read about it as well, which was my reservation with using it.

• cpartist
    last year

The basborads all need to be removed before sanding and refinishing .

NO baseboards don't need to be removed. The OP seems to know what she's doing.

• kats737
    last year

The floors are looking great, keep it up!

We DIYed our floors before moving in and were really happy with the result. Even with a dog visiting the job site occasionally, the only hairs embedded were mine!

We sanded them and finished with a clear satin coat. 15 years later they have only warmed slightly but certainly didn't get orange.

• L C
    Original Author
    last year

Perfect! Thank you!! We ordered the Bona natural seal, enough for one coat over the floors. Then got enough for 2 coats of the Bona mega one. Very very nervous about the feathering and overlapping. Will post finished product photos when complete and fully cured.