Software
Houzz Logo Print
todd_gregory30

Looking for ideas for bathroom renovation layout

3 years ago

Well, we are officially starting to plan our main bathroom renovation. The bathroom is a fairly long rectangle, 129"L x 80"W. It has an unnecessarily long vanity. Right now it is just my wife and I, and hopefully a couple of kids soonish. We do not have any need or want for two sinks. I plan to do most or all of the work myself, so I am not concerned about extra plumbing and electrical work by changing the layout. I plan to take this bathroom down to studs to begin.


Things that we would like:

-Want to still keep the vanity a decent size, like 42 or 48"

-Want to explore the possibility of a separate stand up shower stall (neo-angle?) and tub, but if it doesn't work that's ok too

-Want to get rid of the big closet to make it more airy and allow more light into the entire bathroom- side note: I'm not sure how much of a problem the window will be for moving things around (the shower).


So, we are just trying to brainstorm possibilities for layouts. The entry door to the bathroom cannot move at all, but it could be swung from either side, or even swing out to save space? That's another thing I'm not sure of, if it is "ok" to have the bathroom door swing out.


Here is my feeble attempt to draw the current bathroom in AutoCAD, it's not perfect. The bathroom is off of a long corridor leading to the bedrooms.


I've also thrown together a couple off options off the cuff (#1 and #2) and am looking for input on what may or may not work.


As a general note, I would plan to make the bathroom nice; but please keep in mind that this is an average 1300 sq. ft home, not a million dollar home that shows up in most of the inspiration photos on Houzz. So we do not need a huge soaking clawfoot tub :) The main reason for a tub is for kids.


Also I should mention that it is very likely I will add infloor electrical heat under tile so that I can eliminate the radiant baseboard heat from the bathroom.









Comments (28)

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    What we need is a to scale floor planall windows doorways and where the doorways lead . All measurements clearly marked and the plumbing where it is now . Moving toilets is ahuge undertaking so if at all possible leave that where it is. What ithe house ?s your style ? Have you ever worked with the schluter system for waterproofing? IMO the best but really watch the youtubes to learn all you can about waterproofing it is the most imporatn thing you will ever do in a home Tiling is also an art but totally diyable if you are meticulous in your work ethic. IMO I would look for a nice deep saoking tub/ shower combo insted of a tub and to small shower. Please post the plan here nothing in it except for the toilet if that has to stay. Post that here in a comment do not start another post .Is this the only bathroom in the house? Use graph paper to do the drawing it makes scaled drawings much easier to do

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I don’t know what’s your budget but are you able to move the septic plumbing where the toilet is to place the shower on that side it’s only way it will make sense out your bathroom and you will have to lose your linen closet.

  • 3 years ago

    I can pretty much make any plumbing layout work. My brother is a union plumber, and I am opening all walls if I need to run a new vent. We actually prefer to lose our linen closet.

    Yes I have done plenty of tile work, prefer laticrete hydroban, and have no issues doing any of this work. I just need to figure out the best layout. I need to replace the cast iron toilet flange anyway, and I have full access from the basement below.


    I will work on creating a scaled drawing. The CAD drawing is to scale, but I need to see how to add measurements and grids. I have another full bath in the basement with a large stand up shower. And plan to add another 1/2 bath in our mudroom in the future.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I don’t know if you’re making structural changes to the exterior of the home but I would suggest changing the shape of the window to a transom.

  • 3 years ago

    I thought the same as Claire...put the tub under the window


  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Reality? It's the slightly larger version of a 5 x8 classic.

    Not wide enough really, and I would totally abandon the idea of separating tub from shower. A neo will be like a shower in a broom closet. Kid or two in the future? Leave room to move in there. Change the door swing, put a 42 inch high , 36 inch deep knee wall at vanity end and it will block a wide open view of the loo, and give you a spot for another gfi

    Is what it is....unless you consider accessing a couple feet from a bedroom next door.

    ( towel niche either end of tub )

    If you don't want to shower in a combo? You're headed below deck: )

    IN short? It's better than a classic 5 x 8 .......but not enough better.



  • 3 years ago

    In case you ever want to sell plan 2 sinks for the vanity, and shower - tub combo.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    He hasn't space for two sinks, if he wants to be able to move in the bath. Nor need for two sinks : )

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Yep, not too worried about the effect of two sinks on resale :) Resale could be when I'm dead.

    OK- dropping the idea of a separate shower. My only concern with the classic 5 x 8 layout is not seeing the window most of the time (we don't like tub doors so would plan a shower curtain). Our backyard is very private and I like seeing out the window to see what's going on out there (birds, deer, etc).

    Of course it would add quite a bit of open floor space compared to the current plan, but we give up a lot of storage for that floor space. Even though we want the huge drywall closet gone, we would still like some sort of other space for storage apart from the vanity if possible.

    Any thoughts on the below plan? This would open up a bunch of space in the front of the bathroom. Another plus would be if an adult wants to bathe, we have a nice view of trees and sky out the window :)



  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    You are ignoring comfortable clearances. You want to see out the window? You push a shower curtain aside!

    UNless you show us a room next door to steal from and add a couple feet in width? Don't reinvent the classic wheel. : )

    Your plan above? You'd be lucky to get 26 inches to kneel and bathe a child........NO. That's the answer. Bad plan

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Here’s a way you can have that openness in your bathroom without reconfiguring it. Where your linen closet stands you can add an extra block extending the look of your tub and above it you can create shelving for your linens.

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/jackson-hole-residence-rustic-bathroom-portland-phvw-vp~1116073

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I'm not ignoring anything, I just don't know what comfortable clearances are which is why I'm here. I grew up in small houses, and both had the toilet directly across from the tub and were narrower than this bathroom. The window is just one thing; yes we could push the curtain aside. My other hesitation is that it eliminates any other storage options. I'm also trying to understand is how the last plan poses any more of a hindrance to bathing a child than the classic 5x8 does where the LONG side of the toilet is blocking half of the tub?

    If I use a 30" wide tub, I have 27" to the edge of a 22" deep vanity. Or the vanity could be moved further up?


  • 3 years ago



  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago


    Your drawing shows the PROBLEM and clearances in front of tub at toilet, and at corner of vanity. It's awful, sorry. I gave you your best option. Please Go kneel down, lean over a 15 inch high, 30 inch depth cardboard box. Picture a soapy slippery child in the box.

    Codes exist for a reason. Whether that is 15" from the center of a toilet to any wall or obstruction .....24 inch MIN in front of a toilet.....36 inches as the barely tolerable in a hallway. They are based on the dimensions of human beings. You can google all of them.

    Minimums ? Doesn't imply vast comfort. Nor does an 5 x 8 bath . All are the bare minimum ! It implies you can tolerate the clearances. Doesn't make it fabulous or supremely comfortable.

    Just because you can gut a space, install a new space......doesn't mean you will get the best of the space if you don't consider these things.

    Note: You can have a more GENEROUS tub, better for a shower, better if you want to bathe two kids simultaneously.... if you leave it where I located the tub.

    But you're welcome to do anything you like - it's your home. You can come back here with any regrets: ) after the $$$$ are gone.

    And you can recess into the hooks wall if you want a linen and if there's a closet, or other availability on that shared wall. Personally? Hooks are better than towel bars, easier and a faster dry time.

    If you want other options? Do a scaled drawing ON PAPER that includes the adjacent spaces and their dimensions,.

  • 3 years ago

    Please listen to Jan. She knows what she's talking about.


  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Here's a glam version of less than fortunate size. It was a walk in closet prior to reno. Closets were replaced with reach in , within a very large guest bedroom. Minus/plus two inches in both directions? It's your dimensions. It's obviously for grown ups, no children to consider and it's one of five baths, two others having tubs.


    ambassador · More Info


  • 3 years ago

    I like Jan's layout best in terms of comfortable space and not making the bathroom feel crowded. it's an efficient layout, which is why you see it so often.


    But in your last proposed layout, I wonder if switching the tub and vanity locations, but keeping the shorter vanity, would work. My brother has a bathroom like that where the tub and toilet are along the wall without the doorway and the vanity is across from the toilet at the end of the room. The vanity should be shorter in depth than a vanity so putting it across from the toilet rather than the tub might help with clearance.

  • 3 years ago

    Jan’s instructions to sit down on the floor with your legs bent beneath you and measure from your knee to your toes, to your butt, is instructive. Right now I am struggling with a tiny (8 x 7’) bath with an awkwardly placed window and door that can’t be moved. Just because things “fit” on paper doesn’t mean they can work in real life!

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I can not for the life of me figure out why you wouldn't want the best bathing, best size vanity for the space. Oh,,,.... yes I can. There ARE no kids yet: )

    You haven't yet been stuck holding the head of a feverish child barfing into the john!

    "Right now it is just my wife and I, and hopefully a couple of kids soonish."

    "Want to still keep the vanity a decent size, like 42 or 48"

    Anything else you want know ? lol

  • 3 years ago

    Jan is right….hers is the best (“classic”) option. If you put the tub/shower at the end, under the window, you will be able to have 36” for depth….you could perhaps do a curved tub with curved curtain rod…..you’ll have so much more room, esp once kiddos use the tub to bathe. If you make your space look cute and pretty you’ll leave the curtain open, thus have a view of your window and back yard. Put in a nice, wide niche opposite your plumbing wall (Schlüter makes several different sizes and they’re super easy to install), and make sure you get a new window that can get wet…..you’ll be all set. I grew up in a house built in late 50s, in Europe (2 separate apts), and all we had for 4 people (parents plus 2 kids) was one 1/2 bath, plus a separate bathroom with a tub and 2 sinks….it was sooo tight but necessary so all of us could get ready in the morning for work/school…..forget everyone showering in the AM! So I’d say yes, 2 sinks are important on the main level near the bedrooms, but your space doesn’t really allow it and you do have the basement bathroom option, which I’m sure you’ll be using quite a bit down the road. Good luck!

  • 3 years ago

    On your last two iterations you might consider putting a pedestal sink in the "ne" corner and towel hooks at the end of the tub/shower. Or you could put the pedestal sink in the corner by the window and the toilet on the "north" wall. Here is a more versatile glass door. It is from Lowes (Aqua Fold) and it can also pivot in or out of the tub/shower. With toilet moved away from tub, you could have room to pivot it out of the tub for bathing kids. Better yer, my son was taught to shampoo in the shower when he was still in diapers; he soon realized he shower was as much fun as stomping around in the rain. I don't think I bathed him myself once he was potty trained. He had it all down!

    Guest Bath · More Info



  • 3 years ago

    Decoenthusiaste, if they have kids, they will need storage so a pedestal sink will not be a good option

  • 3 years ago

    Two big baskets (one for clean and one for dirty towels,rubber duckies and a few products) can sit on the floor and be moved at will.

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    More projects have failed from folks not knowing what they DON'T know, than anything else.

    It can be the simple things like codes, or the vast unknown such as going from childless couple to toddler in the house.

    He's posted four layouts, none of them work. Worse? They don't make a pretty bath! But? Bet he'll gut it and tape off every single one of them: )

    The door to enter the bath "can not move, can only change direction". The walls are not moving. It is what it is. An opportunity for a lovely, functional, comfortable bath. Which is driven by entry location- despite his bath has some extra inches. But not enough extra inches: )



  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Another vote to listen to Jan. You are getting free professional advice--take it.

    As one of my design teachers said, "don't fall in love with your floor plan."

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I'll add, especially of late? "Don't fall in love with any specific item WITHIN that floor plan!"

    Couch, rug......lamp.......vanity.....tile.....matters not: )

  • 3 years ago

    I would suggest you hire a professional to do the design even if you do the work yourself. It’s not that expensive. We are doing that right now. We can then go with the company’s contractor or hire our own. We have already done this with our master bath and have no regrets

  • 3 years ago

    Todd, are you planning to alter or move the window? It seems your last layout would have the curtain permanently obstruct part of the window. Also, what is your main goal...to use as much of the space as possible? It's understandable that you are used to living in smaller homes (me too) and trying to maximize storage areas, and looking for something less obtrusive than the current closet. You could add shallow storage (15" deep) on the wall across from the vanity.

    I thought of you when I ran across this rabbit hook today. There are plenty of other animal choices out there, and in other finishes.