Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_200306369

What to do with awkward walk

3 years ago

Inhave two bookcases and a bookcase nook that look so awkward in my living room. hiw can i balance it out?



Comments (37)

  • 3 years ago

    I'd find largish works of art that I loved and hang in vertical formation on that wall. Just some ideas:





  • 3 years ago

    Me, I would slide the bookcases down the right and put a library table between them with a vase and flowers and a standing picture on each side, or maybe seasonal holiday decorations.

  • 3 years ago

    Also, is the sofa right up against them?vAnd something back in the corner?
    And is it possible to separate the sofas more because not able to seat people at adjoining ends at same time due to…legs.
    Because if you were thinking of rearranging seating and side table a bit , that might influence how you arrange & balance shelving and wall spaces.

  • 3 years ago

    we need to see the rest of the room. I'm not following why you cant remove them from the room?

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I would center the bookshelf on the wall. Right now the left side of the room is too visually heavy. By shifting the unit over you will add better balance to the room even though the couch will then be off center to it. I add further balance by getting a larger side table that takes up that entire corner between the couches and centering the lamp on it.

  • 3 years ago

    The bookcases are centered on the back wall and couch is lined up also at center . do yoh thjnk i shpuld center the bookcases in the void on the wal?

  • 3 years ago

    I am havign trouble finsing a large vertical picuture any suggestions on good places to find afforable ones?

  • 3 years ago



    holiday decorstions are usually not there

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    The void of the wall ;)

  • 3 years ago

    Yes, I think that if you keep the bookcases there, then the centering has to take into account the recessed shelves. So you are really trying to envision the whole wall AND what is on the shelves, if you are thinking about adding more to wall.
    Because the shelves are “ dark” and have various objects on them, and recessed area is light wall color so then mostly appears dark objects on that.
    So that already create a bit of visual chaos.
    If you were using art to balance the wall displays, and keeping the nook the same, then it’s possible the art colors and contrasts should somewhat echo the nook appearance.
    And as you can see from some of the wall art examples, you don’t necessarily need one tall rectangular piece.

    Or you could consider painting the back of the nook darker. ( would experiment with some temporary dark poster board though). But probably you are not trying to darken the wall area more.
    Or, paper the back of the dark shelves!

    But it would be most helpful to draw the room and furniture because it’s hard to tell how the items relate to each other the floor, instead of just this static head- on wall view.

    because it might be worthwhile to try some different side table, or see how you use the sofa seating to optimize position, so that could affect furniture placement by an inch or so either way.

    Molly Branksy thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • 3 years ago

    I say remove them, you dont need them in this space and large art would be more attractive. Id also try centering the rug, and having the couches across from each other. using the credenza as a sofa table you have all the weight to that end of the room.



  • 3 years ago

    lastly consider removing the little shutters and using curtains it will bring some proportion.

  • 3 years ago



  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I would put the bookcases in a different room and hang large art on both walls.

    If there's not enough space in another room, get rid of one of the bookcases (or replace them with something smaller). It looks like all of those books could fit on one case, and/or consider downsizing the ones you don't really need to hang on to. The family pics could be redistributed throughout the house (the small ones could go in that built-in, and the larger ones could be part of a gallery wall somewhere).

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    We use that room as a library/formal living room so we need some sort of bookcase

  • 3 years ago

    I would use the entire room and rearrange. Currently, the window end of the room is wasted space.

  • 3 years ago

    again, try moving the sofas across from each other and flank the fireplace this should give more walk around room you then might be able to move them across from the the fireplace, also you could then possibly look at removing those and using bookcases behind the sofas as both a sofa table and bookcase.


  • PRO
    3 years ago

    The niche on the left is the problem. Can you drywall over it? Then you'd have one large wall for the bookcases to be centered on.

  • 3 years ago

    I do not want to loose the chairs. i have thought about getting rid of the nook and making built in bookcases. wont be an option for a couple years bc expensive. trying to find a less expensive solutionunion. but you are saying to keep the current bookcases and just get rid of the nook?

  • 3 years ago

    Split up the bookcases. Slide one to the left and cover the niche. Slide the other on to the corner. No need for the top piece. I love the cases and wall painted an accent color. Makes the arrangement look custom.




  • 3 years ago

    We use that room as a library/formal living room so we need some sort of bookcase

    A library? Where is the desk and/or table? Seems to me that this is just a living room and you don't actually need all of those books to be physically present in there. My bookcase is in a hall. If I want to read a book, I choose one and take it into the den.

    What are the matching books? Are they encyclopedias? Do you actually use them? (Or if they're precious collectibles, do they really need to be in that room specifically?) Keep what's most important that needs to actually be in that room and fit them into the built in. Put other books in a different room and/or donate some of them.

    Or do what others suggest and drywall over the nook. Then get a wider bookcase that fills the wall better. Obviously a more expensive plan.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Yes, keep the current bookcases and drywall over the nook. It would simplify the room as well, all that stuff in the nook is distracting.

  • 3 years ago

    If i move the couch between the bookcases( covering the nook). would you move the entire seating arrangement away from the fireplace?

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Molly, could you not use the nook as your bookcase in that room, and move the two other bookcases somewhere else, sort of as storage. Then alternate books between the nook and bookcases as needed. This would then allow more options for furniture and art placements. Otherwise imo the bookcases should be centered on the remaining space of the back wall not including the nook, not squashed against the nook.

    Molly Branksy thanked doods
  • 3 years ago

    i want more book storage verses less . we are a big family with lits of books and artifacts we want to celebrate in this space.

  • 3 years ago

    Try putting one of the book cases on each end of the wall (one will cover the niche) and push the couch against the wall (looks like a tight squeeze to reach the bookcases now).

    Molly Branksy thanked adina
  • 3 years ago

    Can you put the bookcases in the corner where the ottoman/square thing is, one on each wall (with a dead space in the corner)? Put the art where they currently are to set them apart from the niche.


    It might work better to use the niche just for decorative things (and not books) so that it doesn't look like a mismatched odd bookcase. Treat it as a curio cabinet.


    I like books in a living room and of course you can call it a library without having a desk. It's not a school library!



    Molly Branksy thanked Iri
  • 3 years ago

    I would not drywall over the nook. It looks to be an original architectural feature that you might regret covering up. Can you move the BC altogether and make another room your library. Then move the credenza on that wall to really play into the asymmetry between the nook and the lower credenza. I agree with setting the couches up facing each other like one person suggested. Creates conversational space and sets the FP as the focal point. The two chairs can be set along the window wall with a small table between to create a sort of separate reading area.


    If you need to keep the BC in this room, then slide it over. The tiny table in the corner is more like dead space. You can put a very small desk between the two. Keep it simple with what you put on that desk. You might also simplify what's happening over the FP. There are many visual elements over the FP which are competing with the BC. Also, if you keep the BC, you'll need to pull the couches in closer to each other to create more circulation around them.


    Essentially, what I'm saying is if your space is large enough, you can set up zones: the little reading zone by the window, the mid conversational zone, and then the focus/work zone in the back. (If there's room)


    Hope this helps.


    (Love your floors by the way. I'm jealous).

  • 3 years ago



  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    If you have any paint left (or color match) I’d paint the entire arch and bookcases so wall doesn’t feel as heavy. Centre the bookcases and add two matching prints on each side. Accessorize arch so it’s not competing and wall will feel balanced, unified and interesting.





    Suggest moving couch/rug down as far as possible and place the chairs by window with a lamp to create a lovely reading area.


    If interested and when budget permits an ottoman would be comfy when reading and would ground the seating area.


    It would also be nice to pull in the blue chairs with sdditional blue and art over fireplace would really enhance its look.




  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Thank yOu all for the amazing ideas! I was playing around with them and measuring furniture last night. Unfortunatly bc of the base of the bookcases I cannot put them in the corner. The the room is too narrow for parralel couches and chairs.

    I like the idea of painting the nook to blend with the wall. What Do you think about painting the entire back wall dark blue and putting a darker picture to the right of he bookcase?

    Or Moving the bookcases over the windows on each side of the fireplace and painting that wall a dark color. I could also paint or whitewash the nook so it fades in the corner more. With the bookcases moved to the fireplace wall, I can move the couches into the corner.



  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Hi Molly--I would not recommend covering any windows ever. I think Judianna's idea of moving the bookcases to the ends of that wall and painting the entire wall and bookcases the same dark color. Seems to be the least expensive and disruptive option. But it is a bit difficult to give you the best advice without having the measurements of the room and its contents. If you were my client, the first thing I would do after asking you your goals is to measure the room and draw a floor plan. Then everything else follows after that--it's all about the space and the inches.

    Molly Branksy thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • 3 years ago

    cramming your furniture into the corner of a long room is not the answer. maybe try the chairs between the bookcases and the couch by the bay window?


  • 3 years ago

    Pleas don’t cover windows!

    Still not sure about exact room dimensions but:

    I think a dark accent wall alone will not enhance the room will not enhance the room- though it’s hard to tell because not able to twirl around and see the whole.

    But, I would consider painting tgd entire room a bit deeper color such as blue in the sane family as your chairs. The wall color (and same nook color ) do not have to be AS dark as the bookcases in order to help the wall look more cohesive- just a deeper color , rich enough. The current wall color actually looks to yellowish on my screen for your blue and gray furniture but it’s hard to tell. I think the blue wall/ brown shelves direction might be good.
    Then you would center the bookshelves on the solid wall and balance nook with art or wall sculpture.

    I still think there may be room to move your sofa “L” out from the shelving wall a foot or so and maybe adjust they butt together.

    Molly Branksy thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • 3 years ago

    The wall color is muslin by sherwin williams, I love the idea of painting the enire room dark blue I'm just comcerned it wont be cohesive with the rest of my house. I live in a collonial and all the front rooms are paintied this beigy color.

  • 3 years ago

    I hear that. Although I think the color is making the room look more blah because does not seem to go with upholstery. Do you have the same disconnect between walls and furnishings colors in other rooms?
    If this room is really a separate room, it is fine to have it a different color. Not the same as wide open floorplans.
    Maybe start by just centering the bookcases on the solid wall, if can’t get the one close enough to wall to cover the nook. Move sofas away a little to be sure there is room to access books & clean. If find art that’s not too expensive , try it balancing the nook. Organize the shelves in a pleasing balanced way- I like to collect photos of shelf styling.
    Live with that for awhile and see what you think.

    Molly Branksy thanked marmiegard_z7b