Software
Houzz Logo Print
lorianneschott

Colorado Mountain Home---WOOD, Color, WOOD, Lights AND MORE WOOD

3 years ago

We just purchased a timber home in the mountains. It is on 40 acres, so there are no neighbors. I want to put my touch on it, but there is SO much wood, (and it is the orangish color wood) and I am struggling with the introduction of new colors and style. The house is an open concept with the LR, Kitchen, DR, and entryway in one visual space on the first floor. The upstairs has a pool table, high ceilings, and a bar (which has less wood, just on the half wall)-plus 2 bedrooms and MORE wood. Almost all walls and ceiling are wood, some walls are sage green in the living room, and with a cast iron stove in the LR (not a fan, but it heats the house), we have big windows, no window dressings--and outdated lights. I was looking for something that fits this beautiful location in the Colorado Rockies. We are western, rustic, but classic.

My Christmas present is all new furniture and rugs, curtains, but I need IDEAS please.....so it would add some character.







Comments (17)

  • 3 years ago

    I wouldn't rush buying furniture, because I would want that carpet gone yesterday! I would install engineered wood (or LVP) and bring in some color/pattern with area rugs.

    I would also have no problem with painting some of those wood clad walls.

    Back in the 80's my parents owned a house that had a den that had wood paneling. They felt bad about painting wood for a few years, but finally decided to do it. They used a cream color and what a difference it made in the room. No regrets.

    Don't spend any money on the "decorations" before you have a clear design for the fixed elements.

    lorianneschott thanked chispa
  • 3 years ago

    Thank you so much appreciated. So color-wise, would a navy and grey work for rug inspiration?

  • 3 years ago

    Agreed. My first thoughts were painting at least some of the paneling.

    I’d also remove and replace all window trim. To something less “lodge-y”.

    Lighting as well.

    And then start with furnishing.
    Take one room at a time. And take your time with it.

    Where do you want to start first?

  • 3 years ago

    The livingroom is my base amd then expand from there. textures, colors, lighting styles lighting?

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Flooring/hardwood or LVP and a light and neutral paint on walls ......then furniture. Nothing will feel rustic or western or right, until the awful carpet is banished.


  • 3 years ago


    Sarah white washed a place...there are many episodes but the before and after are worth a look along with her advise. It is possible to lighten up and keep the wood look.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    If this is Colorado in the Rockies, you might appreciate wall to wall carpet for its warmth. Not saying to keep it, just something to think about. If you have guest rooms or kids' rooms, maybe keep it in those spaces.

    If you update the outside lights, replace the sconces with can-type lights in the porch ceiling -- the illumination at night will be more pleasant for you and much more attractive to look at.

    Will this be your year-round house, or for vacations? I like wood and the lodge look, but can understand not wanting to be immersed in it all year.

  • 3 years ago

    I could not agree more with Ida. Perfectly said.

    What a wonderful home, congratulations!

    lorianneschott thanked Jilly
  • 3 years ago

    My brother lives in CO on the side of a mountain, so I understand the aesthetic but the previous owners do seem to have gone a little overboard with it. Most importantly, you don't love it. I would want to cut it back by painting some of the walls, probably not all of them. Maybe every room could have one accent wall remaining? You will have to see how easy it is to paint that wood. You might have trouble with the knots bleeding through, so try a small section first to figure out the best method before you try to do a whole room. You can always drywall over it - people have done that. I would definitely leave the ceilings alone. While I think navy would look great in there, you will have to be careful if you use gray as it could easily be too cool with all that warm wood. I have navy, rust and camel in my family room which is a good combo.

    lorianneschott thanked kandrewspa
  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I do not love knotty pine but I would not start painting it until you have done the flooring with anything but wood or wall to wall carpet. I do not like navy with wood or gray for thta matter.The TV is too high and it would be ahuge help to see a to scale floor plan.

    lorianneschott thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I'd leave the walls alone but paint the cabinetry. And very much agree about ditching the carpet. Get some beautiful area rugs instead.

    For a client's woodsy home with redwood walls, we did painted cabinets in a dark teal. Looks amazing:



    Portola Valley Artist Haven · More Info


  • 3 years ago

    Fun and congratulations on your new home. It makes me think Sundance and, of course, Robert Redford. : >}





  • 3 years ago

    All that wood then no carpet not only would be COLD it would be a nightmare of noise pollution! The acoustics would drive any visitors home ASAP!!

  • 3 years ago

    I’m not a carpet person, but I’m going to go out on a limb and suggest keeping carpet ( just not that carpet). I don’t think adding more wood to the floors (particularly fake wood lvp) will make all the wood any better. But a nice light burber carpet would brighten it up, yet keep the cozy, mountain vibe.

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I think the carpet is the biggest offender. It doesn't help that its the same color as the wood walls. I would either get wood floors with large area rugs as suggested above or if you want to keep the carpet replace it with a plaid low-pile carpet. I would go full Tommy Hilfiger style with this cabin.







    lorianneschott thanked User
  • PRO
    3 years ago

    We agree about getting rid of the carpet. Here are some of our designs which might help you figure out how you want to decorate and what kind of furniture you'd like to put in your new place.

    Mt. Washington Ski House · More Info


    Mt. Washington Ski House · More Info


    Alpine Ski Home · More Info


    Alpine Ski Home · More Info