Software
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Hanging sliding doors in closet/pantry need replacing

3 years ago

I have old birch vaneered hanging closet 1-1/2" hollow doors in my porch/pantry area. They are 24x72" and by-pass each other at the opening. The are a mess and I would like to replace them.


The closets they cover are too shallow for a true coat closet, which is the function of one of the closets. The coats have pushed the doors off the tracks in the past if the closet gets too full.


If I used 1/2" or 3/4" birch ply I could save some room, maybe an inch or 2. Question, Can I do that with the rail and roller hardware that is needed for these types of installations?

Comments (12)

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    LOL, I tried pulling that one over my husband, but he has too many coats and I need space for a wire rack for other things. The other closet (there are 2 side by side) is where my food is. I have taken the doors off and wondered about putting a bench in there with the wall hooks. But Im afraid it will just be a dirty mess. I should take a picture of this mud room for a full appreciation of our ugly space!

  • 3 years ago

    Here are the Pictures


    Here is the stairway down the basement with every combo of outerwear for the farm imaginable:



    Here's the other side of the room with the closets in question. I took the doors off the right closet to see what I thought. but I think I want them back up:


    I am getting a new floor covering and will be painting the ugly ceiling fake paneling a creamy white. And painting the steel door another color, along with some cabinetry along a wall that is not shown,


    As you can see the coats don't fit into the closet because its only about 18" deep.

  • 3 years ago

    A quality plywood would work. Try a lumber yard or specialty supply house instead of big box store, especially if you're going to do a stained finish.

    enduring thanked Seabornman
  • 3 years ago

    @Seabornman, Thanks You. I have an excellent source for quality wood and a very nice birch ply and oher woods in ply. Or would you recommend something else in the way of wood ply. Would 1/2" ply be thick enough? the doors would be 24x72" each.

  • 3 years ago

    I would go 3/4. Finish the same on all sides to help from warping. I recently used iron on wood tape at the edges of oak plywood that held very well. You may want to try that in birch. Be careful storing plywood before making doors. If it warps, it's hard to unwarp.

    enduring thanked Seabornman
  • 3 years ago

    What about hanging hardware? Any brands to recommend?


  • 3 years ago

    Johnson makes sliding door hardware that will fit 3/4" thick doors. You may have to reinforce the hanging method as they are designed with screws attaching from the top.

    enduring thanked Seabornman
  • 3 years ago

    Thanks @Seabornman, I'll look into the Johnson options.

  • 3 years ago

    Hi, Maybe Bifold doors?

    Good Luck Woodbutcher

    enduring thanked woodbutcher_ca
  • 3 years ago

    These doors will be hard used. expecially the ones near the entry door. What I like about the sliding doors is that they dont extend into the room. I have bifold doors in all the house closets and they work fine. I will think about this option.

  • 3 years ago

    As I remarked earlier, here is the room in its full glory: