Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

Best G daylilies 2023

Show us your best 5 G daylilies today.

Bad joke of the day: I want to be cremated because it is my last chance to have a smokin hot body.

Getting Airborne, cant say enough good things about this daylily. Great bud count, tall scapes and purple! It has had good increase.

Get r Done has had good increase in the two full seasons here, blooms have been flawless and are big.

Sherry

Comments (19)

• daylilybedmaker
    last year

Sherry,

I like both of yours. Getting Airborne certainly looks well budded.

I will startoff with GREAT WHITE. It is tall, well branched, well budded and fertile both ways. The only flaw is that it is slow to increase for me. Since I am tight on space, that trait does not bother me.

GEMSTONE WARRIOR: This is an old Benz intro that will always be in my garden. The blooms seems to laugh at the elements. Does not melt in the sun and looks good after rain. Substance is like plastic.

GRACE AND GRANDEUR: This is an old Salter intro. It is one of the first to bloom. Blooms are perfect each day and blooms over a long period of time.

Those are the outstanding Gs that i took pictures of last year.

David

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
  • organic_kitten
    last year
    last modified: last year

Smokin hot body" That would be the only way for me, Sherry. "Gypsy Cats is a really nice one and seems better every year:

Git R Done

It really does have such perfect big blooms every time, and, it is a very good rebloomer here.

Garden Butterfly I juat like this one. It blooms a lot but no rebloom so far.

Grape Twizzler; Thank you Debra!, love this one.

I may add another lare

kay

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked organic_kitten
  • mantis__oh
    last year

Get R Done is nice; its bud count is acceptable here at around 8. Great White has been used a lot in hybridizing. Unfortunately, a number of its progeny have the same slow-multiplying habit. Getting Airborne seems to be growing vigorously for you, Sherry.

Graphic Art. Out of Free Wheelin. Much admired, though growth is a bit slower than that of many Davissons.

Geneva Firetruck--good growth and color on this Hansen.

Glowing Quasar --one of the finest toothies here.

Grace Like Rain--long blooming, even though bud count is moderate. To me, a great Northern plant (that Rita years ago admired)

Garry Bewcyk --tall and well budded; sometimes a bit splotchy.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mantis__oh
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Garden Butterfly and Getting Airborne are my two favorites of the above.

I have very few G's. Glory to His Name is still new here. It bloomed fairly well last year. Hoping it increases more and becomes better budded because it is so pretty.

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • shive
    last year

Sherry - I always admired your Getting Airborne. It looks very well-budded.

Kay - Thanks for including Gypsy Cats and Grape Twizzler in your post. With last years heat/drought, both were so much lighter in color that I didn't get many good pictures of them. Garden Butterfly is gorgeous!

Here's two G's for one photo: Genie in a Bottle and Gypsy Cats. Gypsy Cats, my intro, sometimes has bud counts in the high 20s - but not last year. It multiplies like crazy for me. Genie has a moderate bud count of 8-12 here.

Ghost Gifts performed well for a new addition.

Green Mystique gets hit repeatedly by grubs and still seems to bloom pretty well and multipliy, despite being shorter than it should be. The flowers always open well and look lovely at the end of the day.

Groovy Kind of Love - I adore the colors in this daylily. Last year it's foliage looked awful though, and I cut the leaves back. It's still in a pot, and I'm hoping it survives the winter.

Gillian, which was one of my best performers two seasons ago, did not bloom at all last year. I suspect a major grub attack was to blame. Grape Twizzler did OK, but I didn't get a photo of it.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

Sherry: Another good chuckle to start my day......David: I like the looks of your Gemstone Warrior. Dark velvety red. I can see why you keep it........Mantis: Gary Bewcyk is pretty with the white edge. Glowing Quasar was advertised as sunfast and it was when I grew it. Unusual for such a pastel color to hold in our heat........Debra: I will always have fond memories of Green Mystique. It put up with my newbie efforts and lived for many many years here, always showing perfect form...............I only have one G that qualifies for this post. Excellent long season bloomer/rebloomer that is colorfast despite our triple digit heat.

Great Goodness Gracious:

Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • mantis__oh
    last year

Glory to His Name does well here; it's around the registered height of 24". Green Mystique has Great White in its background. It has some off years, is attractive, but not an ideal northern plant.

Gimmee Gimmee Gimmee is an older Davisson, but still a recommendation.

As is the newer Glass Houses.

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

Mantis, both of yours hit the spot for me, especially Glass Houses.

Brad

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last year

Ha Ha! I love your joke, Sherry.

Lots of beautiful daylilies here. I like Glass Houses, Glowing Quasar, Ghost Gifts, and Garden Butterfly.

Here are my G's.

I love this smallish (4.5 inches) flowered daylily, Galaxy Explosion. It looks like it will be a good increaser and we are getting some nice seedlings out of it. It is one of the true spiders we grow.

Everyone has heard me sing the praises of Geometric Wizard. It doesn't increase that much for us (it has made a small clump), but it blooms reliably fairly early every year.

I am surprised how much I like Green Arrow. It's greenish yellow with green-throated flowers show up so well across the garden. I also like the rather wonky shape. Green Arrow throws lots of proliferations so even though we haven't had it long, we have had several plants to sell.

Gryphon Prague Gothic is sort of representative of all the Gryphon series. The Gryphon series, which were hybridized by Gil Stelter of Canada, all have some form of Fulva in their immediate background. They are all great growers here. I don't have good pictures of all of them yet (we haven't had some of them very long), but got this nice photo of Prague Gothic last season. These are all tetraploids.

That's all for me.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • celeste/NH
    last year

GETTING AIRBORNE, never disappoints even in years of drought.

Tall, massive plant with sturdy scapes, great bud count, hardy and vigorous, huge blooms, dark velvet purple. Clumps up quickly. I've divided it several times in the last few years but somehow it's always a big clump. The only negative is I've yet to get a mature pod off it but pollen is strong.

GLORY IN RED, an oldie but goodie. Strong thick scapes, high bud count, blooms appear larger than registered size, will set pods if you wave pollen in the air....LOL

GREYWOODS SHADES OF LACE, admittedly this was brand new in 2022 but you gotta love a daylily when the 2 tiny fans pump out multitudes of blooms much larger than the plant! I have high hopes for this one.

GOLDEN GLOBE, Kate gave me a piece of hers and I second her nomination. It is a great daylily with amazing color.

GENTLE ROSE, another oldie but goodie, nothing fancy, a little on the short side....but rock hardy, healthy, blue-green dormant foliage, purest pink blooms in abundance.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • mantis__oh
    last year

Best bad joke so far, Sherry.

Deservant of a recommendation, even if older: God Save the Queen

And one worth exploring, Gia's Wonder, if you like tall. Out of Women Seeking Men.

A new Emmerich one (to me) I am evaluating: Guard Your Heart:

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

Nancy, I do like your Green Arrow. In a trade a year ago, I had a choice between it and Green Inferno. I'm hoping Inferno will do as well for me.

Kate, Garden Butterfly is my favorite of yours.

Kate and Celeste, really like Golden Globe.

Celeste, Getting Airborn and Gentle Rose are very pretty.

Mantis, I gotta repeat myself, love that Glass House!!!!!

Brad

• shive
    last year

Mantis - God Save the Queen does deserve a mention. It's always been a good one for me. I just didn't get a photo of it last year. I was too busy photographing seedlings and by midseason to photograph many of my older registered cultivars. Thanks for posting the pic of Gia's Wonder. I've thought about adding that one.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    last year

People often don't realize what a thick, velvety texture has Goldner's Red Velvet. Remarkable. A later bloomer.

• Nancy 6b
    last year

H's worked well. My son added memory and tweeked my old computer some, doing much better it seems. Knock on wood.

Green Rainbow

Get R'Done has not gotten much done since I have had jit. Got it as 3 fans, after at least 5 years, it is 2 fans. I did move it a couple years ago and it blooms better, but still no increase in clump.

Glory to His Name, picture turned sideways. Blooms quite well, multiplies fast.

Green Mystique is a great plant, heavy bloomer with rebloom, increases very fast. It is of such a size I wish it would stop. Needs to be divided, but I hate to divide a plant when it is doing well. Sometimes that is the kiss of death for a favorite.

Gift From Heaven did not do as well as the previous year

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Nancy, Glad you got a computer update. The memory should really help. Glory to His Name is a favorite.

Brad

• shive
    last year

Nancy - Glad to see Green Mystique grows so well in your garden. I always like your Gift From Heaven.

Mantis - Goldner's Red Velvet is a beauty!

Debra

• Nancy 6b
    last year

I always wanted a smokin got body, but plan to wait on that :)

Brad, I guess I am astounded that memory made such a big difference. I guess because I don't really use the computer that much. Speed is noticeable, but I don't have minor issues that had been going on.
    GRACE AND GRANDEUR is a pretty one. I mentioned before that Get R'Done has not done that great for me. It has bloomed better the last couple years since I moved it, as far as blooming. But still just 2 fans. It does rebloom though, one reason I keep it.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus