Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy10n

Entryway with large niche, need some inspiration, please.

Amy10N
last year

I am looking for some ideas for this wall. I would like to keep the turquoise piece if possible. And perhaps an idea for the wall such as paint or some type of accent application? Appreciate your suggestions. See below some things I found online…

inspo?

this is opposite the wall, I am still searching for a dining set

Comments (41)

• Kelly Jones
    last year
    last modified: last year

Of the ones you posted I like the 1st one and the others don't do anything for me, although what matters is what YOU like!

I also happen to like niches and find them a way to use some creativity.

What do you think of this?

• Sammie J
    last year

I feel like the niche overpowers your cabinet (your cabinet would look best if wider than the niche), so I wouldn't do any accent paint color on that wall because it just highlights the discrepancy. Your last pic looks good, although I'd opt for something different than the wine holder in the middle.

• Olychick
    last year

You could also use a painting like you show and hang sconces on either side instead of the lamps. They would fill in some of the blank space left around the painting and perhaps make the niche size look deliberate.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

You need a wider console under this niche. Would the curio cabinet be wider than this console? Might switch the two and see what you think. Your dining space looks very small so less furniture in there would work better. Can’t be sure without detailed measurements.

• Amy10N
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for comments so far, hindsight, I would have closed this but I am not totally opposed to the niche in entry area. Also not opposed to other creative ideas of what to place here. @Flo Mangan the black piece is what I originally wanted there but it is smaller in width. We are also thinking of adding some wall ’trim, board?’…..again, just looking for a vision on this. I wondered if adding bottom wall trim boxes would add some balance or throw the eye off the wider niche. Have been looking at it too long. My husband is very handy as well and ok with diy..I have to say I did like the sconces and the plants photo ideas to add some symmetry. You are all wonderful.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

The art should nearly fill the niche to the edges. The other alternative would be to wallpaper the niche and then add a frame around the edges.

Here's an example of the wallpaper idea in a bedroom:

Chinoiserie Guest Bedroom · More Info

• liasch
    last year

Depends a bit on what your budget is. I like the idea of mural wallpaper and framing it up, but a piece of artwork could also work very well. If you can find some thing that you really like…good art can run into dollars though. I am all for supporting artists!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Would the TV console work under niche. The dining? Area is very small. I would make it a reading room with a couple comfy chairs and a table in front of windows. Not enough room for table and chairs.

• cubby14
    last year

I spent a year in my new home trying to design something into the builder’s niche’s and failing to find something that fit the space without feeling off in some way. So ultimately we drywalled in the niches and have never looked back so much more freedom.

Hope you figure out your dilemma.

• ci_lantro
    last year

Entry niche, dining niche, TV niche. Niche-happy house designer. I kinda like the dining niche, lukewarm about the TV niche and would lose the entry niche, like yesterday.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

You have nice inspro photos, so for it.

• Iri
    last year

I don't mind the turquoise cabinet being narrow; what bothers me is its height. It's a few inches too high. Is it possible to unscrew the feet and toss them in the back of the cabinet "for future use"?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

This with a contrasting green backdrop makes a big statement

• Amy10N
    Original Author
    last year

@Iri yes we will be removing the legs….also going to update the top as we had some moving damage, discolored. It is just a unique, heavy, interesting piece to me, functional for glasses and stuff, and am trying to work it in somewhere. I am looking to keep caramel, black and soft white colors for majority of open area, and thought a pop of color at the entrance would be neat.

• Amy10N
    Original Author
    last year

@BeverlyFLADeziner I love that art work with the black candlesticks, I just saw these somewhere too and thought about buying them.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I think just large art without painting the niche a color is best to hide the size differentials. Painting the niche emphasizes it. I like the second rendering Beverly did above.

• Gizmo
    last year

I'd mirror them - preferably with antique mirror

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I like one of the blue/green colors behind the painting. but I would look for a diff entry rug. w/the colors and the art, that current rug is too busy.

this type of rug may be a better choice

I love this one w/the texture. perfect colors

I also lik the gold metal accents instead of the black. you want something a bit lighter

On the flip side of this, there are other things that might work better. while I like the blue console, I don't think it's the perfect size for that spot.

You could try decorating like shown here to see if that niche size works.

this rug is much better.

bold color art w/a glass or acrylic console and X ottomans

you could go w/a long leather bench and a photo gallery in the niche.

here are some other consoles and designs

Amy10N thanked Beth H. :
  • palimpsest
    last year

For me one of the problems is that the top of the cabinet is higher than the bottom of the niche. Ideally the top should be below the bottom of the niche so the niche looks complete. I wonder if you could take the bun feet off the chest.

• Amy10N
    Original Author
    last year

@Beth H. : awesome ideas, and the rug can certainly be changed. I thought of painting the piece but that won’t change the size. Hmmm good pics to review and consider. Thank you.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Have you tried the rug in dining area for entry? It looks more neutral. Size looks oks about right.

• Amy10N
    Original Author
    last year

@Flo Mangan I hadn’t because it is larger than the current one, thought it was too big? But a good contrast to the turquoise too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Worth a try. Might be switching these two rugs will help with both spaces!

Amy10N thanked Flo Mangan
  • arcy_gw
    last year

Wall paper it, add two sconces and a HUGE beveled mirror then put the 'tv console" with some cushions under so people have a place to check themselves as they leave and sit and remove shoes.....

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Just playing with ideas for your entry room.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I think I would start on the dining/sitting area first. Then let that inform the front entry area.

• elcieg
    last year

If you follow @BeverlyFLADeziner's second inspiration photo, the one where the art is the same size as the credenza, it will work.

• Amy10N
    Original Author
    last year

I pondered a different type of space but have seen a dining set fit nicely in similar sized homes in the neighborhood. I measured 6-7 foot table, and I have read about the guideline space around the table, which I know would be tough. I am still considering options though, I do love those black chairs @Flo Mangan.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

It will be very tight, but up to you. Do you have those chairs?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

The Bergere chairs are from Home Depot on line store.

• Amy10N
    Original Author
    last year

Yes I have these they are in the kitchen nook at the moment.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Ok. So you still have options. Here is scale drawing of your room. Chair A and B will catch edge of rug when pushed back. Your rug size is limited by post and pop outs so can’t make rug much larger. Side chairs on curio cabinet side will have some room but very tight. Have you thought about a round table? How big across is your breakfast table?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Here is overlay of Approx 48” round table. 52” might work too and be a bit more accommodating in this space. The red dots show round table. A 52” round can sit six if chairs are compact style.

• nelliebean
    last year

Couild the legs on the sideboard be removed so it's lower than the niche? It might look interesting to slide the sideboard over towards the door and then something tall on the one side (ie coat rack, silk tree, decorative branches etc)

• Amy10N
    Original Author
    last year

@Flo Mangan I am not decided on having a rug in the dining area. And it is more like 9.5ft by 11.5ft per my husband, will remeasure that area and the round table. Thank you again for taking your time with the drawing, really appreciate you. @nelliebean yes feet can come off, hubby and I talked about doing that when we placed it there just haven’t gotten to it. We are about 4 months in the house now, still settling in.

• vista a
    last year

Maybe you can also hang a round mirror like this

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Once you have new measurements, I can revise scale drawings. I used what you previously posted so if it is bigger that would be great.

• 2pups4me
    last year

How about trying the low piece from the DR below the niche? It looks wider than the turquoise piece and might allow more room in the DR.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

what if you put the larger, dark console over by the entry? (seems too large in front of the dining area) Lets see how that looks w/proper art and staging

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm