Software
Houzz Logo Print
theotherjaye

Dressing area in closet

3 years ago

I have always wanted a dressing area - full length and makeup mirrors, table w/drawers, chair, clothes and shoes at hand. I had the builder finish out my closet with that in mind, and here it is - a closet dressing area.




We had the chair and lamps. The table was $150 on Wayfair, The mirror was $40 on Amazon. The shoe boxes are from Container Store and were something like $4/each - they built the shelves to fit them.

Comments (11)

  • 3 years ago

    Nice!


  • 3 years ago

    It’s awesome! You got me thinking that I need a makeup table…

  • 3 years ago

    I think this is fabulous! I need a makeup table and a closet.

  • 3 years ago

    So many fancy primary suites have a walk-in closet or two, but not a dressing area. I’m so glad you thought about it, and took it to that level.

  • 3 years ago

    Lovely

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Thanks!


    My mom had an entire dressing room - ironing board, vanity sink, steamer cabinet, the works - in the house I grew up in. I’m no way interested in replicating that house (too big, too formal) but there are aspects of it that I like quite a bit. So they’re in this house, and I’m glad to have them

    And @bpath, that drives me nuts. Dressing space is important. Otherwise, you make a mess in your living space. (well, I do)

  • 3 years ago

    I’d love to have a garment care room near the bedroom. Not necessarily laundry room for the machines, but a space to iron, steam, mend. You’ve given me a new idea for the dream house in my head!

  • 3 years ago

    bpath -- You'll need to plan for electrical in that closet. You'll want to be able to sit down somewhere anyway, so why not at a vanity? (Swivel chair even better?) Full length mirror somewhere? Hmm...I don't have a lot of things to press or iron in these casual times.

  • 3 years ago

    Oh yes, it would be a room, not a closet. because I like open space. Electricity would be designed to accommodate the steamer, iron, and probably a glue gun and a handvac. a place to hang things before or after ironing, perhaps a flat surface to untangle or repair jewelry. I’m not sure I’d need a full length mirror in there, but why not? I think it would be adjacent to my dressing area somehow, but not necessarily in it.

    Funny story about casual times, chisue: when my son was a toddler, we would participate in the child development studies at the university. For one study, they were designing a new vocabulary ”test” for children with communication disorders, so DS was in the phase of ”what is our baseline”. Anyway, for one portion he had to identify images. He identified all but three as they intended (and this is why it is important to have a baseline):

    An image of a cigarette he called ”a stick”. He’d never seen one.

    An image of a blouse, he called ”a shirt”. Later the monitor said that they were finding that children whose mothers worked in certain environments outside the home were more likely to know the term ”blouse”.

    An image of an iron, he didn’t’ know at all! I had to laugh, I told the monitor that we wore mostly knits and any ironing was done with the board and iron that hung on the back of my bathroom door, with the door shut, and usually by DH who needed a pressed shirt for work.

    TBH, nowadays I will choose something that doesn’t need ironing mot because I don’t like ironing— I do — but because my ironing area is such a pain to use and I don’t have a better alternative. Although, with the boys gone, I’m eyeing their hall bath…outlets, shower rod for hanging, but not quite wide enough for an ironing board and me in the same space.

  • 3 years ago

    We put a fold down ironing board in a cabinet in the laundry room, also hanging space and screen rack space for hand wash. Our steamer lives in there, too. The ironing board cabinet has an outlet in it and a nice little metal-lined area where you can stow a hot iron. I don’t iron a lot, but I won’t do it at all if it’s not convenient. And I do like ironed napkins. Our laundry room is right next to our bedroom, which I really like.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Nice way to create space!