Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

Five best R daylilies 2023

sherrygirl zone5 N il
last year
last modified: last year

Show us your five best R daylilies today, my best are all red.

Bad joke of the day: The first time I got a universal remote I thought,” This will change everything!”

Reindeer Antlers is a late bloomer. It is a sunfast red with great looking foliage. It has had a good increase.

A classic early daylily with large blooms. I love the trouble free large blooms, everyone should grow this daylily, good increaser.

I am including Red Volunteer because it blooms in the shade here. It is growing at the base of a 40 y o pine. It’s great to have this color in the shade.

Sherry

Comments (21)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

I'm torn between Persian Ruby and Ruby Spider. These older ones always draw my attention. It gets down to which would do better in my heat and, as always, where to find the space to battle it out in................. Fingers crossed that this R will survive it's 2nd winter outside because it's been a good all around daylily for me complete with the edging I love. This is a picture from it's August Rebloom:

Roman Steel:

Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Sherry, "groan" to the joke! My Red Volunteer also grows well in the shade. Years ago it was in sun and it was not sunfast. I could put mine in my five, but since you did, I'll go with 5 others:

Red Viper, tall, bright, large flowers, well budded, often gives a good show.

Rob Cobb, very tall, reliable, large blooms, usually well budded.

Royal Occasion. Although not so tall and a smaller flower, it is a favorite. Has lots of velvety black on it the camera can't see. Very late so it is planted by the VTs. Reliable, does well with a lot of shade.

Regal Heir. It is quite reliable and generally well budded. It is more of a reddish purple than the picture shows.

Red Grace. very reliable and sunfast. it is not a favorite, but I keep in the background as it is somewhat tall.

Brad

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • mantis__oh
    last year

Same experience with Red Volunteer--not sunfast--so good it blooms well in shade. Red Grace is a Benz red; I agree that there are better, but it was reliable. Red Viper and Red Viper are my favorites.

So many good R's.

Regina Sitko --bold and beautiful. Afternoon sun takes a toll, but last year that was true of so many.

Rogue Wave --made the list for last year because of rich color. Not registered height and a slower multiplier so far.

Rogue Primate. Very vigorous. Intense velvety red. I had to move it to the estate because it was bullying neighboring plants. Many buds.

Riot Act made a great display last year.

Redheaded Hussy. I don't have many Davisson reds, but this one certainly makes a statement. Vigorous, well budded, and good height.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked mantis__oh
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Mantis, Regina Stitko and Rogue Wave really are pretty.

Brad

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last year

I like Reindeer Antlers (we grow it--beautiful color), Regina Sitko.and Red Viper.

Here are my R's.

Raggedy Man is one of our all time favorites. It blooms late, has teeth and soft orange color, and sets seeds well. What else could you ask for?

I wanted Raspberry Suede and finally got it last season. I don't know how it will perform, but the color was delightful--so velvety

I appreciate a southern bred daylily that does well in our climate. Red Eyed Queen is one.

We picked up Red Lobster at Jamie Gossard's nursery a few years ago. We were afraid it might be tender but decided to give it a try because it was cheap. So far it has done fine.

Remembered Kisses is one of my favorites from Richard Norris.

That's all for me.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

Mantis: Riot Act is a beautiful color combination. It's unfortunately a sev. Has it proven real hardy for you? Paul Owen daylilies can have a problem holding their color from what I've seen, how's it do for you?..................Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • shive
    last year

Nan - I always like your photos of Raggedy Man! Let me know if you ever have any to sell or trade.

None of my R's did particularly well last year. Probably the best of the bunch were Rainbow Maker and Reckless Girls.

Rainbow Maker had far fewer buds than usual, but the clump drew attention.

Reckless Girls got divided last Spring, and I sold several divisions, so it was not the impressive clump it's been in past years.

Regina Sitko performed better than anything else in its bed, but it was much shorter than usual and not as well budded as in past years.

Razor Eyes was good, but not as great as in past years.

Rapture of Love bloomed for the first time last year, but bud counts were only 8-9. I'm posting it because it was one of the prettiest purple faces last year. I hope it will do better this time. It was too new to set pods on, and its pollen failed to make pods in the high heat. I hope I have more success hybridizing with it this summer.

Rosie Cotton's Ribbons improved its performance over previous season, and Rosie With a Ring did OK.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    last year

Well, I was just ready to submit mine this morning when I received the message, "something went wrong, try again later." so here i am; I like Raindeer Antlers, sherry. that is a pretty one, Maryl. Ruby Spider does not fade here, but I do not have the other one.

Brad, I like the color on Royal Occasion.

Mantis, thank you for posting Redheaded Hussy . I received that one this fall and hope it does well here. Regina Sitko is also a very pretty one.

Nancy, Raspberry Suede is lovely. I will be interested to see how it does.

Debra, I like Reckless Girl and Regina Sitco again. Very nice.,

Now for my "r"s Rosemarie Louise : I've had this one a couple of years It is a nice height and and it reblooms here.

Rose F Kennedy: I know this has not done well fro Mantis, but it does well here. I have divided it twice so far:and, it does rebloom here, but not sn extreme amount of blooms.

Rennies Delight. It did not bloom as much as usual last year, but is a favorite:

Ruby Lipstick: This blooms an awful lot here and every bloom is perfect; rarely reblooms

:Rocket Booster Blooms very vigorously and reblooms very well here too.

kay

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked organic_kitten
  • daylilybedmaker
    last year

I love REINDEER ANTLERS. It is a wonderful shade of red, so thanks for posting that one Sherry. That allows me to post a different one. I will agree that RED VOLUNTEER is a great plant, but does better with some afternoon shade. Mine receives 5 hours of sunlight and blooms very well and over a long period of time. I will second Mantis' comment about RED GRACE.

Here is another Benz red. This is RED LIGHTNING. I love the ruffles and that it shows a white edge around some of the segments.

Here is another ROSE F KENNEDY. It has taken a little while to get established, but it has been well worth the wait.

RUNAWAY ROMANCE: A Bennett intro that I love.

RUBY STORM: Not the best picture, but this plant pumps out the blooms. Rather rapid increaser.

This is RED FRIDAY and it often maligned due to splotchiness. It has been really splotchy in the past, but this past year, not a splotchy bloom at all. It has great plant habit and many buds. I keep it for hybridizing purposes.

That is all from me.

David

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked daylilybedmaker
  • mantis__oh
    last year

Ruby Lipstick and Remembered Kisses also grown here and well worth noting.

Riot Act I've had for a few years. As I recall, Nan also grows it. I wouldn't think there would be hardiness problems. Being sunfast in your climate is another matter.

I have some good plants out of Emerald Starburst. RFK we will not go into.

Norris's Ruby Grandeur. Very sunfast. Later blooming.

Roman Cohort --nice display this past year

Red Skeletons --colorful. Sometimes a little splotchy, but not an eliminating factor.

Royal Extravaganza. Consistently clear and showy with typical Carpenter watermark, but may be a space hog.

Rhinestone Cowboy. Described as "gaudy," but that doesn't deter me.

• Nancy 6b
    last year

So many beautiful plants. Reindeer Antlers does really well here too. Others I like are Roman Steel, Red Viper, Redheaded Hussy, Raggedy Man, Rapture of Love, Rosemarie Louise-mine had 1st bloom last year and did very well considering, Ruby Lipstick, Rocket Booster, RUNAWAY ROMANCE, Roman Cohort, Royal Extravaganza and Rhinestone Cowboy.

Love Rapid Eye Movement and it seems to do well, although it took a couple years to actually get moving

I have several red/orange spiders, they all seem to do so well I can't bear to part with them. Reminds Me of Fireworks does really well

Rose F. Kennedy does not have the most buds in my garden, but I love it. It bloomed just over 5 weeks last year. I have heard it is slow to multiply, but after its first year it has done at least average on that too.

Rock Solid usually has 2 to 3 scapes to each mature fan, decent number of buds per scape, but so many scapes.

Regina Sitko does well here too

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • Brad KY 6b
    last year

Nancy, I really like the color of Raspberry Suede. Debra, Reckless Girls is outstanding. Kay, Rocket Booster is a great color. David, I too like the ruffling of your Red Lightning. Mantis, Royal Extravaganza has great color and form. Nancy, Reminds Me Of Fireworks reminds me of a couple of mine.

Brad

• mantis__oh
    last year

Though I don't get double scaping on Rock Solid here, it is indeed a solid cultivar. Has good offspring too.

Ruby Storm is indeed vigorous.

Royal Girls is a rich shade of deep lavender. Afternoon sun not friendly.

Ring the Bells of Heaven--another good Carpenter. Was splotchy the first few years, but then shaped up.

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

Royal Girls has caught my attention now and in previous years in your posts!

• shive
    last year

Mantis - Royal Girls is an enticing color! Roman Cohort is a good one. Mine did better last year than it had it years, but I failed to get a photo of it. Ruby Grandeur is indeed sunfast and well-budded. I grew the one I got from you in a pot for three years before a bad winter took it out.

Kay - I enjoyed seeing your pretty picture of Ruby Lipstick. The grubs have just about eaten mine to death. I don't think it even bloomed last season.

Sherry - All three of your reds are pretty!

Maryl - Roman Steel is looking good!

I enjoyed seeing the various photos of Rose F. Kennedy, Regina Sitko and Rock Solid and how they vary in different gardens.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • mantis__oh
    last year

Rose Masterpiece. Enjoyable in the earlier season.

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last year

Debra, I'll keep you mind when we divide Raggedy Man.

Maryl, Riot Act has been hardy for us. It has made a nice clump. I don't know how sunfast it would be in your climate.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • celeste/NH
    last year

Here are mine (and btw, I do concur about Raspberry Suede being a great daylily. Every year it is one of the best plants in the garden. Somehow I always overlook it and forget to take it's photo).

Here's one not many people grow but should. This is a Culver and it is one of the only daylilies that reblooms in my New Hampshire garden. This plant has wonderful plant habits, pristine foliage and sturdy scapes, blooms profusely and has great color. REBECCA HOCKRIDGE

RUNNING IN THE RAIN, makes the list every time; a big plant with great color, large blooms, hardy and robust. Sets pods like crazy.

Another vote for RUBY SPIDER. What can you say other than it's fantastic? Every....single....year.

Even in year's of severe drought. This was last summer where it never got watered and the ground was bone dry.

REMINDS ME OF FIREWORKS, I got this from Nancy in KY and I'm offering my photo of it as well.

Reliable, year after year. Great size, color and performance. Very eyecatching in a clump.

REGINA SITKO, I seem to be 'copying' other people's nominations today! But this is a great one.

I have one more to squeeze in and it's another one already shown. It (and Come Sail Away) has been the best of the Guy Pierce intros in terms of hardiness and vigor. Most don't do that well here but this one is good. And it sets lots of pods for me. It's truly lovely.

ROSEMARIE LOUISE

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste/NH
  • lilykate7a
    last year

I have lots of Rs so narrowing the list was difficult

Royal Girls-not as deep in color as Mantis’ but I like it and it shines with Mean Green

Like Nancy, I have a lot like this but this one blooms like crazy

Rose Corsage-I don’t grow many doubles but I like the color and it is really pretty in a clump

Rose Pink Sparkle-another Reimer-large and flat

Reindeer Antlers is so rich and velvety

This is not a best performer yet but I hope it turns into one! This color is hard to capture but oh so pretty!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • shive
    last year

Celeste - Your photo of Rosemarie Louise is outstanding! It's good to know which Pierce's really perform in more northern zones.

Kate - Your photo coupled with Royal Girls has me really wanting to add that one. I just wish I had more space for all the ones I like.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • lilykate7a
    last year

Maryl, I may need to move Royal Girls this year. Mean Green has really outgrown its rent space next to Royal Girls!