Software
Houzz Logo Print
heathermalia

Rotting guava smell in my bathroom

3 years ago

Well I walked into my bedroom last night and immediately noticed my adjoining bathroom smelled like a rotting guava! I live in Central Texas, no guavas around here. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? It came on quite strongly suddenly- it didn't smell yesterday morning. It still smells!

Comments (12)

  • 3 years ago

    I had to look up guava to even find out what it was. LOL Are you sure you are not getting sewer gas backup?

  • 3 years ago

    Pour 2-4 tablespoons of chlorine bleach into the bathroom sink drain/s. Leave it to sit for a couple of hours or longer before running any water down the drain. See if that cures the problem.

    If so, there may be sludge build up in the sink drain causing the stink.

  • 3 years ago

    Haha! A guava has a sharp and sweet smell.  I would not be too surprised with sludge - this is an older house not upgraded, assuming the plumbing is all old. I'll try the bleach! I don't think anyone peed (human or dog) as that smell I know very well (unfortunately!) Thank you for the help :).

  • 3 years ago

    Oh also we have a septic tank. It doesn't smell stinky in that way. But who knows. We are due for a clean out soon ish.

  • 3 years ago

    Have you checked everywhere, for any mold? Mold can sometimes have a sweet rotting smell.

  • 3 years ago

    Cat_ky, I don't see any mold! Are you thinking behind the wall somewhere?

  • 3 years ago

    Ps still stinks :(

  • 3 years ago

    Yes, I have been thinking either in the floor or behind the walls somewhere. Could have a leak somewhere, that you havent found.

  • 3 years ago

    The overflow drains in the sinks and tubs could be moldy. Spray bleach in there also. wait a few hours then use the stopper and fill the sinks with hot water so that it runs into the overflow for a few minutes.

  • 3 years ago

    If bleach in the drains didn't help, then what Cat said makes sense. Look for leaks elsewhere. The wax ring on the toilet is a prime candidate.

    Central Texas--is the house on a slab?

  • 3 years ago

    Ci_lantro, yes house is on a slab. I do have an update today. I turned on all the taps in the bathroom (one at a time) and flowed water through the ones that haven't been run in awhile (there is a bathtub we don't use and a second showerhead in the shower we don't use) and I did the laundry - there were some clothes on the floor in my closet. The smell is gone now-- so either it was some stinky stuff in the pipes or it WAS dog pee on my dirty clothes! Or both things together creating a strange stink. I hope it doesn't come back - we shall see tomorrow.  Thank y'all for the help!