Software
Houzz Logo Print
elimorgan12

modernizing a drop-in tub ?

3 years ago

Hello, starting a bathroom refresh and wondering if I could “modernize” the drop-in soaking tub or go with a free standing acrylic one?

Comments (20)

  • 3 years ago

    It depends on what your plans and budget are. You absolutely can fit a shower and free standing tub on that wall (with the new tub staying under your window). I think it would look terrific.

  • 3 years ago

    I don't know how you're going to modernize that bathroom without replacing all the tile. What are you thinking about doing? What is the measurement of the tub alcove? It doesn't look like you have enough room for a freestanding tub. It is recommended to have 12" free around all sides so you can get around it to clean. There's nothing wrong with having an alcove tub if that's what works in your space. That being said, the tub you have does look builder grade. You can probably get a nicer one.

  • 3 years ago

    I personally think freestanding tubs look ridiculous. I'm a fan of a drop in tub with a built-in surround like what you have and what I see all over Europe. However, it is a matter of taste and expense. I agree your tub and bathroom look dated, but I think you can have an updated look with a drop in.


    Don't know what your style is - by modernize did you mean a modern, contemporary aesthetic or just to get it out of the 2000's? Here is a smattering of drop in tub images in a wide range of styles and with different surround materials.



    Recent Work- Indiana Private Residence · More Info


    Admirals Cove Bathrooms · More Info


    Royster Project · More Info


    A new home in the New York Suburbs · More Info



    Ozark · More Info



    Stanford · More Info


  • 3 years ago

    I wouldn't do a freestanding tub in that space but I might paint the surround of the existing one a shade of cream that works with the colours of the BS. Light shade but not white.

  • 3 years ago

    I think the surround adds some insulation benefits so if you do an acrylic free standing you may find your water gets cold

  • 3 years ago

    Thank you for the comments. I totally missed the part that yes I will be changing out all of the tile and my question is whether to leave the current tub and replace the surround…Go no tub. Or do a standing tub.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    do you want a tub?

    do you want a bigger shower?

    Here are pictures of both set ups. which do you like better?

    if you did a slightly wider shower you could do a freestanding tub.






    this one looks close to your size. why not measure the width and see how big of tub you could get.




















    a 3rd idea would be doing a wet room from wall to wall, basically like this one shows


    More than a refresh if you're taking out all that tile, no?

  • 3 years ago

    Thanks for the photos Beth H!! I will definitely measure for the free-standing tub. I guess my question is freestanding tub vs replacing the tile around the one I have now which may be less expensive. What look to we like since I’m not really a bath person! Thanks!

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Although I love free-standing tubs, personally think your drop-in tub is of very good maintenance.

    Update current drop-in tub tiles would be a great idea to control budget, as the shower cabinet will be kept.


    Anyway, I'd like to show a pic from one of our buyers:



  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    While free-standing tubs are popular and beautiful, the lack of places for soap etc can be problematic. cleaning around the tub can turn yo into a pretzel. lol Consider a big soaker tub that is mounted under a granite? like your countertops, undermount tubs are sleek and modern looking


  • 3 years ago

    A free standing tub will also mean changes to your glass shower enclosure. Your budget just increased around $2500 or more depending on how much of the existing glass structure if any, can be salvaged. Or, you'll have to have a funky little wall support built to fill in the tub enclosure you're removing. without damaging the existing shower glass enclosure Kind of a Jenga thing happening. Finding a contractor who will want to mess with that would definitely be a challenge in my current market. Maybe not yours.

  • 3 years ago

    @elimorgan12 you said you are not a bath fan. Who has used this tub in your house and how often? Are there other tubs in your house or is this the only one? For resale, it is often good to have at least one tub in the house. If you do have another tub, then I suggest you take this one out. No need to have tub that you don't use.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    As other posters have said the changes you make depend on your wants and your budget. If you have a large budget you can rip everything out and install as you like. If your budget is more limited you can replace the tile and replace or paint the surround around your tub.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Do you need a tub ? IMO that is the question. I really dislike FS tubs and IMO you do not have space there for one anyway. I think remove the tub do a nice big shower and amaybe a nice spt to do a makeup table under the window.

  • 3 years ago

    As someone who loves taking a bath, my vote would be to replace what you have now with a free standing tub, if you have the room. They are not inherently difficult to clean around, and it’s so much easier to get in and out of a free standing tub as opposed to one with a large deck. We are doing a bath remodel this year and will be replacing our built in tub with a free standing one. Can’t wait. Maxx has some amazing tubs with room for soaps, etc., on edges, or you can also buy a tub caddy that expands to cover the width of the tub for soaps, candles, wine, etc.

  • 3 years ago

    this type of drop in tub w/a deck surround and tile on the skirt, along w/a slightly larger shower, would be the way to go.

    freestanding is fine too, but it is more of a hassle to keep clean. and w/the tub deck, you can put up some ochids or plants, and you can also do a wall niche (above the faucet) for product storage.

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Before you get to the tub you don't use?

    Draw and measure the entire bathroom with all door passages, walls, window.... wall to wall, the entire bath. Every single inch.

    If all the tile is going? Basically the entire bath is going in a dumpster. Your shower can easily grow by a foot - there are many other ways to accommodate the window

    " Refresh" Is the wrong word here. If you're staying it's a gut, and if you're selling? it is what it is. Super clean and do nothing

  • 3 years ago

    Thanks, Jan. Not selling. The options are overwhelming. Lol. I think it might be interesting to not do a tub and just add some type of counter under window… would that be considered wasted space?

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    There are a lot of ways to make great storage under there. But first every dimension, and include the distance bottom of window sill to floor

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Hi elimorgan-

    I think freestanding tubs are very difficult to get into and as you age you will end up not using the tub at all.

    I would prefer changing the look of the drop in.

    I think Raimondi is correct, the travertine and the tile are the problems,

    If you print out a picture of your bathroom and dab Wite-Out over the the tile walls and the travertine walls and floor and the tub surround and over the wood front of your tub, it will immediately look better.

    If you want to, you can change the hardware in your shower and tub, maybe remove the barrier to get into the shower in anticipation of aging in place.

    You needn't move all your plumbing around.