Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

First Scapes Found Today!

I was out weeding the front bed when I discovered that Fernstone had scapes up. It is almost always the first one to bloom here, but this just means I have quite a bit of work to get done. of course we are supposed to have a colder snap, but unless it is like the Siberian express we had earlier, it should not cause major damage.

kay

Comments (9)

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last year

Cool! I can't wait for you to start the season with your photos.

Nancy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    last year

Hurray! I was hoping to see blooms from you soon!

Sherry

organic_kitten thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year
    last modified: last year

It will be nice to see a new start to spring from you again. We've got a cold front headed our way too. One forecast had it possibly diving down to 23 degrees in the AM later this week. Hopefully it won't get that far south to you even if that forecast materializes here. We have lots of new growth, but no scapes yet......Maryl

organic_kitten thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • Nancy 6b
    last year

Wow, this seems really early, but we have been having really warm weather lately. I have a few plants that still have not come up, but I did see 1 scape up from one that I hope is Sweet Isabelle. Not tag by it, but it is in the general area. I saw another dormant barely poking out of the ground. Not freezing temps expected here the next week, but that can change. I have some bagged leaves saved,. I may put them over if it gets colder

organic_kitten thanked Nancy 6b
  • Julia WV (6b)
    last year

Glad to hear Kay. I was hoping you would post about scapes coming up. The daylilies here are starting to come up. Daffs, Crocus and Tulips are well on their way up. I'm itching to move stuff but with the crazy weather swings, I'll wait. Lots of rain here so I hope that continues.

Julia

organic_kitten thanked Julia WV (6b)
  • celeste/NH
    last year

I will live vicariously through your posts! It will be a good morale booster to see daylilies up and blooming. We just got another snow storm which dumped 11 inches more of the white stuff so my plants are under about 3 feet of snow. There will be a LONG interval between your posts and mine....LOL. I can't wait to see your photos.

There are plants underneath that huge embankment but you would never know!

organic_kitten thanked celeste/NH
  • lilykate7a
    last year

Kay I know you are always 2-3 weeks ahead of my first scapes but I will be looking closely for the next few weeks!!

Wow, Celeste, your plants have to be hardy to survive your temps and snow! I know the snow provides insulation but that is a deep blanket!!!

organic_kitten thanked lilykate7a
  • organic_kitten
    Original Author
    last year

Good Grief, Celeste, that is a lot of snow! Kate, my season always seems a little too long since it starts so early, but I really was surprised to see scapes. Fernstone is next to the side of the house, so I don't see it unless I am right there, but yesterday, it did surprise me.