Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xxnonamexx

Landscaping ideas? Holly bush dead?

xxnonamexx
last year

I usually plant something in front in between the boxwood bushes. Any ideas that will stay small and deers won't eat? Also are my holly bushes dead this is the 3rd year for them and they are empty? If so what would be a nice replacement that deers arent attracted to and low maintenance. Thanks

Comments (18)

• Embothrium
    last year
    last modified: last year

You can probably put a comparatively short and inoffensive see through fence around the edges of these beds, stepping stones inside the beds and keep the deer out of them that way. Because they don't like to jump into small enclosures. Or onto things that might not be good to land on.

Then you can plant whatever you like, as long as it does not reach over the top of the fence to where the deer can get at it. Whereas anywhere plantings are accessible to them that situation can restrict the planting choices hugely. With the facts that fawns may sample most anything and bucks will scrape the trunks of young trees during the rut even when they are not kinds they browse contributing to the total amount of impact deer may have on garden plantings.

Finally, the spaced out little clipped looking balls you have now are not big enough to serve as an effective foundation planting. Particularly in the section left of the entrance, where the area of exposed foundation becomes quite high. Whereas if you plant more densely and allow the shrubs to grow tall enough to hide most of the foundation the planting will become more purposeful and successful.

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    last year

What about the holy bushes are they  dead. What do you recommend

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

We can’t see the holly bushes. You need to post closer pictures to get advice on them.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

They look dead, and are planted too close to the steps so remove them.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

If they have green leaves, which they appear to, they are not dead. But if they are threadbare they may well be unhappy.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

If you remove the brick border in the left-hand bed, making it much larger, you’d expand your planting choices. (There’s no need to mirror the bed on the other side.)

The hollies are sad. Remove.

There’s no way to advise on plantings without a general idea of your location.

(Your house seems vaguely familiar. Have you posted it before?)

• Sigrid
    last year

If the hollies have leaves, they aren't dead. They can be pruned, so I'd prune them, fertilize them with something like Holly Tone, that's suited to them and keep them adequately watered and see how they do.

Black Cohosh should be deer resistant. Russian sage is, too. Heuchera should be deer-proof, too. Do you get much sun?

• Embothrium
    last year
    last modified: last year

Fawns everywhere make nothing deer-proof, will sometimes even gobble down unsuitable plants that end up actually killing them. Otherwise, on my property the menu that is not limited to the one age class has been getting bigger just in the few years I have been here. With reports from elsewhere on the island of conventionally "deer-proof" plant kinds now being eaten on other plantings sites coming to my attention.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

" Heuchera should be deer-proof, too. "

Not in my garden!! Deer treat them just like they do hostas, devouring them to the ground.

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    last year

@Sigrid This area gets 1/2 sun to more shade as the left side of the house has trees that the sun peeks behind so 1/2 day sun then shade. @Dig Doug's Designs What is the bush to replace the holly bushes? Also whats the flowers you have on the ground level. Thanks

• Embothrium
    last year

Another problem with designating particular plants as deer resistant is that black-tailed and white-tailed deer have different preferences on the species level. Apart from variation between different individuals within the same species. And deer-resistant plant lists generally do not indicate which species of deer they are based on.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    last year

Deer tip. Whenever you set out a new plant, even if it's supposed to be deer resistant, spray it with a good repellant and keep it sprayed for a season so the deer learn that it's a really unpleasant plant. They learn and they remember.

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    last year

@dig dougs what bushes do you recommend from your photos?

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    12 months ago

What bush do you recommend to swap out the holly bushes?

• xxnonamexx
    Original Author
    12 months ago

What bush do you recommend as I noticed the other appear to be plants but I m looking to replace the bushes.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    12 months ago

Goshiki Osmanthus or Snow False Cypress & Bergenia

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 months ago
    last modified: 12 months ago

I'd follow Doug's suggestion to replace the hollies with Osmanthus 'Goshiki', aka false holly. The leaves look sharp and prickly like a holly but they are not...really rather soft and flexible. And the shrub is very colorful with evergreen foliage in a combination of green, cream, gold and with pinkish tints on the newest growth. Hardy to zone 6, it will thrive in both full sun and quite a lot of shade, is moderately drought tolerant once established and is not favored by deer. Also stays relatively narrow with respect to mature height.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax