Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_375889718

Please help me pick paint.

Diana K
last year

We moved into the old 1850s house about a year ago. It's gorgeous. I got a custom peacock velvet green/teal sofa and I'm having a hard time finding paint. The living room has a silvery white marble fireplace with black/grey flecks and the room has 2 windows facing south, once facing west. It gets a lot of bright light in the spring and summer.

So far I've looked at various mauves, green/greys, blue/greys and a yellow. More recently some reddish browns. I'm very much NOT a fan of pastels, greys, greiges, etc.

I always struggle with choosing paint colors. I'm scared to make a mistake and can't visualize how the colors would look, even with an app because it's always different when it's on your wall.

The last one of the couch has Behr's potters clay on the left and Behr's Light Cocoa on the right. I also got a nice yellow but didn't get a picture.

Comments (1.2K)

• Diana K
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Could you provide a link?

• Cindy Bergstrom
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Umm…i can think of somewhere else the peacock print could go. maybe in a dark closet where you could go in with a flashlight and enjoy it in there. 😉

in addition, the yellow peacock with the very gold frame in my opinion is overkill. nothing to do with pracock prints. additional posts of peacock prints since my comment are lovely. that particular one, in my opinion, is just to yellow amd gold amd the frame is really strong.

• kl23
    7 months ago

Or maybe peacock in 3D?

• kl23
    7 months ago

Another 2D option:

• kl23
    7 months ago

If you are interested in actual feathers, don't pay this much money. I first saw the table top item for under $50.

• Diana K
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Oh gawd, my dogs wouldn't leave that alone. :)

• kl23
    7 months ago

Or something abstract?

• kl23
    7 months ago

• freedomplace1
    7 months ago

I am very much a peacock fan. They have a significance in my life.

You probably already know that there is a ton of peacock art to be found on Etsy.com - all styles.

Maybe a vintage style for your space -

No one can pick art for you. Art is a very personal thing. You have to find art that speaks to you.

• Jilly
    7 months ago

The thread is back! Hi, Diana and everyone! :)

I think this little bitty Folk Art painting would look so cute with your art here, and near the living room:

https://www.theorempaintings.com/small-peacock-painting-197/

Neat process:

https://www.theorempaintings.com

I also like this one on Etsy, with or without the whole set.

• Diana K
    Original Author
    7 months ago

That is very cute Jilly, thanks! And I agree, art is very personal.

https://www.etsy.com/people/asmodeuskraemer/favorites/house is a link to my Etsy list for house items.

I haven't gotten anything on there (I'm IN LOVE with the 4 seasons leaf art) because it's all print-and-frame-it-yourself which I'll never do.

• Jilly
    7 months ago

Your list is great! Really love this one:

• Diana K
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I know, me too. It's one of my favorites in the list.

• kl23
    7 months ago

Haha...yeah, the dogs would really go for a pile of feathers wouldn't they!

• freedomplace1
    7 months ago

Your list is great. I haven’t gone through all of it, but you have a lot of nice items there.

And I see you have the second piece I posted. This one -

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 months ago

From SaltwaterBlueShoppe on Etsy.com

• RedRyder
    7 months ago

From Fine Art America. They offer framing options. And they have a lot of peacock options. I like these two for your home.

• freedomplace1
    7 months ago

I’m sorry, Diana K - i realize now that the print I posted is not on your list! I had glanced at the page quickly last night, but now i see the one i posted is in the ”similar to this collection” group, and is not on your actual list.

• Diana K
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Putting up a new plant shelf.

• kl23
    7 months ago

I just love how the rug pulls together all the great colors in your room!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 months ago

That wood looks so pretty against your wall color. Agree on rug being a charmer. Just to give you idea of how this canvas would look on your wall here is mock up. I know we wouldn’t hang it here but rather on the wall you look at when you enter the room. A floating frame with gold front edge is what I chose but you could do a more ornate frame and possibly one you could pick up at a second hand store. Just have to coordinate size of canvas.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 months ago

It really looks gorgeous!

• Diana K
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Ooh, that is very pretty Flo!! I wish I had a better place for the TV, but there really isn't. :( The fireplace would look so nice with a beautiful piece of art.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 months ago

Could you post a picture of the wall you face coming into the room. The outside side wall. I can mock that up for you if you wish.

• kl23
    7 months ago

@Diana K at least you have your TV on a dark wall to reduce contrast. And I do believe the TV makers are getting better at making TVs that look like framed mirrors when off or look like framed art when not being used as a TV. https://www.mirrorvue.com/

Wayfair is selling frames in all sorts of styles for regular TVs. This might be a good solution for now. https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/deco-tv-frames-tuscan-deco-tv-frame-for-samsung-frame-tv-dcct1011.html

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 months ago

Can I ask why only a peacock wall art?

• Diana K
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Jilly started calling my couch Princess Peacock and so I wanted a peacock art somewhere. :) Here is art #1

• Diana K
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Art #2 and 2 of 4 mirrors I have

• Diana K
    Original Author
    7 months ago

And some posters I bought, which are intended to match the succulent one I have hanging already

• Cindy Bergstrom
    7 months ago

Are we still talking about the room with the blue couch and what color to paint the walls or was that decided? are you working around the color of the couch as your focal point? There are so many different prints being showed but nothing in my opinion about curtains/drapes, throw pillows. before ypu get into all that and wall are, id think you would want to pick two colors to pull together the couch with the rest of the room and go from there. or pick one print ypu love and pull a couple colors out of that as accent colors for other decor besides prints. it just seems there are so many comnents it is hard to follow what ypu really want and what main 3 colors ate your focal points points. the windows need some kind of window treatments. there are a ton of different designs of shades, or valances, etc. what about the area rug? just seems like there are no real design elements and decisions your leading towards. Sorry for the typos, for some reason with my phone, nothing i actually type is coming through.

• Jilly
    7 months ago

Diana, I love the art you’ve posted, love your style! Wonderfully eclectic. :)

(I wouldn't go too formal.)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 months ago

I could see several of those in your dining room and perhaps your entry hall but nothing quite right for living room. I do like the peacock or similar for living room. I don’t see a mirror in the living room. Have you thought about an abstract for the living room. The living room needs one larger piece on the wall with one window. Maybe you could do a gallery upstairs of some favorites. Pick one theme or unifying color though.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 months ago

Something like this.

• texmax13
    7 months ago

@cindy bergstrom her walls were painted SW Dark Night and she has a beautiful area rug. To my knowledge she hasn’t picked drapery, but my vote is still gold.

• Diana K
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Not interested in abstract art. I'm fine changing the blinds, but haven't looked into it. They work for now.

The art that I posted was an overview of what I have, not that's specifically going in the living room. I was going to put the posters in the downstairs hallway along with the succulent/cactus one. I thought the 3 feathers would look good in my office. Colorful birds in the yellow craft/guest room.

There's only one mirror that I really want up somewhere and I'll post a picture of that later. It's my favorite.

• Cindy Bergstrom
    7 months ago

@texmax13 so the main livingroom (which is what i mistakingly thought this whole post was about, that one room) is painted a dark like gray/blue color? is there a picture posted of the livingroom w the walls painted and rug? still looking for window treatments and wall hangings, pillows and such? there are so many posts i only get a heads up comment email here and there so i guess i am out of the loop. thanks for the message!

• Cindy Bergstrom
    7 months ago

Someone posted a pic of the walks pretty much the same color as the couch in the living room. i find it to be boring and makes the room so dark. just my opinion. a couple shades lighter, not much, just to add some texture i think would help, if you choose to stay with that blue. i know is formal but i personally hate the dark walls and huge sofa/couch then the off white/cream whatever ling window treatments. nothing flows right.

• Diana K
    Original Author
    7 months ago

The sofa and walls are not the same color. My camera doesn't properly capture the difference. They're similar in that the couch is teal ("peacock velvet" is the name of the fabric, apt2b.com) which has blue. If I were to do it over, I'd go with a different colored couch and have very dark green walls. But, here we are.

I got the drapes when we first moved in and the walls were a weird yellow cream. They're basic and I'm fine with them for now because they're functional. I can't manage curtains and art.

I guess it's worth while to post pics of the living and dining rooms with their updated colors so we all know what's what.

• Diana K
    Original Author
    7 months ago

The sofa and walls are not the same color. My camera doesn't properly capture the difference. They're similar in that the couch is teal ("peacock velvet" is the name of the fabric, apt2b.com) which has blue. If I were to do it over, I'd go with a different colored couch and have very dark green walls. But, here we are.

I got the drapes when we first moved in and the walls were a weird yellow cream. They're basic and I'm fine with them for now because they're functional. I can't manage curtains and art.

I guess it's worth while to post pics of the living and dining rooms with their updated colors so we all know what's what.

• Cindy Bergstrom
    7 months ago

I understand, the cost is unreal for window treats/curtains, whatever you want to call them. i sew and make them for people that ask, and the price of fabric, lining lining, eyc etc. and time involved is insane. now i see why 2nd hand places/sites are all the rage right now. i love the teal blue color of the cpuch myself. thats the color i want but with an expensive couch that is 3 yrs old and junk, i really dont have the money or know where to buy quality and know for a ”different” color will be paying through the roof. and i take it ypu dont want just junk. ypu want to find pieces ypu love. i agree woth that 100%. the room is not finalized bit in reality the beat part is finding pieces that you love here amd there. Just a suggestion, a few throw pillows may run ypu $125 or so but can make a couch ypur not crazy about or color, add contrast and a totally differemt look. dont go solid. look around, there are so many different textures designs and prints on them now, it will update the room even if you are going for a formal look. I dont know where you luve but Home Goods is a great place to frequently run in and check their always changing inventory, for nice quality at reasonable prices. geez, no matter what i tupe on hete the wrong words show up amd not puncuation or capitals. good luck with everything! im done w my 2 cents. enjoy decorating, thats the #1 reason to do it.

• kl23
    7 months ago

@Diana K I love your art collection and think it would be fun for you to find each one it's special place with the best background to make each one sing. I have been enjoying doing that with my own... VERY slowly. I think it will be even more fun for you because you have several rooms with great bold color to work with. Will Vincent be happier in the Dark Night or the sunny yellow? ☺️ Relatively speaking, your pale drapes are fine and serve to draw attention to the window... job done.

• Diana K
    Original Author
    7 months ago

It's a gorgeous couch color, don't get me wrong, but matching it with the house and paint showed me that I didn't think it through. I can be impulsive.

Yeah, curtains are nuts. I love the stuff that anthropologie puts out but holy crap, I'm not spending almost $1k on curtains for 3 windows. What I have now is Ikea and they were $50/set plus the 2nd gauzy curtains (a thing I like to have) and the hardware. Probably closer to $300 for everything. Which isn't bad, looking back, but still. Ikea has the velvety curtains that I want, but not in the colors I'm looking for. And they look stiffer, not thick and flowing. Maybe someday. The painting was a massive hit to my savings.

I agree KL: slowly. There are pieces that have clear homes but not all of them. And my stuff is so eclectic that it'll be a challenge. I'm not good at "going with a theme".

• kl23
    7 months ago

@Diana K I still love your teal couch. I have enjoyed your threads so much because they were about working with bold colors. Over the years I have finally learned that my impulses are all I should be listening to. They help me know what really satisfies and will continue to satisfy years later, even if they do make work/challenge. I've decided my biggest challenge is that I don't fit. I'm not a beige/white/grey person, so I have to work harder that those who fit the mold. But that's ok. Here in HOUZZ I've found others who also don't fit in the same way I don't. Maybe you are one.

Whenever I've had the chance to buy a thing: a sofa, kitchen floor, siding on my home, it's been some version of chocolate brown. OK, so I bought a red-devil chocolate-brown leather couple of pieces for the living room when my daughter took the first brown sofa to college. I have developed a thing for green too. Your thread has led me to greens that are great with dark chocolates (Cascades and Jasper). Know thyself.

I must have missed something... you said you're not good at "going with a theme". Don't worry about that. Themes are one of many tools or approaches people use when they are learning. Themes are not the destination; they are just one road there.

I love iris. The things people have given me over the years are purple, green, and orange. They dictate the color scheme wherever they go. Since I don't want all my rooms to be just those colors, I concentrated them in one bedroom and went with it. That's an iris theme but I don't want all my rooms like that. I am more than my love for iris.

I would say that you have arrived at a point where you can indeed slow down and enjoy the process of trying different homes for your art, seeing your art in a new light, and loving it all over again. Enjoy! And thanks for your threads!

• Diana K
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Oof. I'm back. Got added to a new work project and my life has taken A Turn.

Thoughts on this for the living room chandelier?

Link

Art is just going to take me forever. I found this, which isn't art, but is a super cool peacock wine holder! we don't drink that much, though. :(

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 months ago

Diana, where's the finished room? you still haven't painted? If so, post another picture showing the entire room and i'll photoshop this light for you

and where is this going?

• Jennifer Hogan
    6 months ago

Thought I would share some art sites that may spark your interest. . .

Peacock art and a variety of others.

I fell in love with this piece by Marcia Baldwin. I love her bold use of color:

https://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/peacock-abstract,2527611/

I also love horses her use of color in her equine art is so different than most equine art:

https://marcia-baldwin.pixels.com/art

I always enjoy getting my touch of class catalog - they have peacock art/decor you may enjoy

https://www.touchofclass.com/peacock-themed-home-decor/c/401012104/pgsize/All/

Every summer I go to the Mt Gretna Art show. It is a huge, juried show with tons of unique art.

They also list all of the artists on the website with links to the artists websites. It will have a lot of variety and may have something you love.

https://mtgretnaarts.com/artists/

I usually also usually go to Longs Park's annual art show. Some artists attend both shows.

They also list their artists and links to their websites.

https://www.longspark.org/2023exhibitors

Phil Singer is not in the Mt Gretna Page, but is one of my favorite surrealist painters

https://psingerart.com/his_work/

Diana K thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • Diana K
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@Beth H Yes, I have posted updated pictures. You just have to dig for them. It was a while ago. I found the post and made it the featured answer. The pictures aren't great, I might need to take better ones. The light would go in the living room.

• Diana K
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Ohmigosh White peackock! I loves it!!

• freedomplace1
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

That piece is nice. It will brighten up the space. And you’ve got enough blue in the space already. Although I love all things peacock, love the vibrant colors.

With that art, something like these Italian sconces in the room could be fab.

Here is info on adapting hardwired sconces using puck lights.

https://thehouseofhoodblog.com/sconce-light-hack/

• kl23
    6 months ago

@Diana K it took some effort to figure out how but I learned through example from another poster that it is possible to update/edit your own original post with pictures to keep everyone up to speed on the progress of your project. I can only do it on computer, not my phone. If you're interested...