Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_48338488

New kitchen chairs need protection

Joan Simon
last year

I wanted kitchen chairs with a dark fabric so stains would not show but my husband liked the lighter fabric and the store said we could Scotchgard the fabric. It wasnt until I actually received the furniture and went to buy Scotchgard that I found out it was reformulated because the original was bad for our health and the enviornment. I’ve seen pictures of the new Scotchgard darkening fabric and heard it doesn’t work very well. Can anyone recommend another product that I can use to help protect my new chairs? Thank you.

Comments (4)

• eld6161
    last year
    last modified: last year

I googled and there are alternatives to Scotchgard. Hopefully others used them here and can suggest one that works.

With all the high performance fabrics as well as Sunbrella, I don't understand why you chose a delicate fabric.

What is it made of?

Is the fabrics just the seats? I would just be diligent with spot cleaning. Really, how often do you spill or drop food on the chairs? If you have little ones, maybe cover those seats..

At some point, cannrecovernin high-performance fabric.

Joan Simon thanked eld6161
  • Helen
    last year

My understanding is the formula was changed in 2002 or there about.

In terms of your concerns, you should test spray on an inconspicuous spot like underneath and see if it stains the fabric and you can also test it.

Depending on the style of the chairs, reupholstering them could be relatively easy and inexpensive - e.g. chairs with only a pad on the seat are easy to do as my mother changed those types of cushions relatively frequently and helped me do my chairs once.

In the future if you do upholster you should ask for a swatch and test it for stain resistance. I got a light chaise and was concerned about staining so I took a swatch home and dropped tomato sauce and chocolate on it - those came out very easily with no mark as to where they had been. Oddly what did leave a stain was the drop of face foundation which I also tested on the fabric

Joan Simon thanked Helen
  • Joan Simon thanked clt3
  • Joan Simon
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you everyone. I ordered swatches of the fabric from the manufacturer and will test different products to make sure the spray does not discolor or stain the fabric. Worse comes to worse, I will enjoy the chairs for now and reupholster them if/when they become unsightly. I did choose my fabric, over one I liked better, because this one was cleaning code SW and the other was S so I thought it would be easier to clean (of course I could have just gone with a dark color and not worry about stains!). I would have liked Sunbrella fabric but it wasn't an option for the chair I chose.