Software
Houzz Logo Print
robert_garneau30

Oversized exterior chimney

3 years ago

Hi, I purchased a ‘70s ranch with a large brick chimney on the exterior that overwhelms the house. Is there something I can do to make it appear less imposing? Tearing it down is not an option. Thanks for any advice you can give. Rob.

Comments (17)

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I don’t think it is that bad. It’s standing out a lot now because of the contrast between the bricks and the shingles. If you have plans to refresh the shingle wall at some point, you could choose a material or paint color that blends more with the red/orange tones brick of the chimney. I don’t think it is a bad feature, though.

  • 3 years ago

    Look for new features that would distract the eye from the chimney (which looks fine, by the way). New landscaping, brighter trim color, a fountain. For quick changes, trim the shrubs to a foot below window sill height, mow the lawn, then hang a big garden flag or bright windsocks.





  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I would lean into it instead of avoiding it. It's a real nod to the era it was designed in. I would clean up the exterior and remove some of the shrubbery so the exterior architecture of the home can be seen, including the chimney. Then, do intentional things like maybe a decorative vine.


  • 3 years ago

    Great suggestions! I’m about to start staining/painting the exterior. I will definitely incorporate some of your suggestions. I’ve been working on landscaping - hopefully the overall results will be positive. Thank you for your help !

  • 3 years ago

    Looks better already!

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    IMO something like this for the siding would be huge improvemnt


  • 3 years ago

    I like it! I actually think that it’s the shingles that are out of place. I’d do a linear siding (not vinyl though) or work with a designer/architect to explore different materials that would update the look. Really cute place and great job on clearing the landscaping.

  • 3 years ago

    A large chimney is not necessarily a bad thing


  • 3 years ago

    Patricia, What a coincidence! I just found that same picture a few days ago and saved it to my desktop. Just received my BM Arborcoat samples yesterday :).

  • 3 years ago

    I think your house is great and what you have done so far with the landscaping makes a big difference. I think a large front patio or porch would open it up a bit. Good luck

  • 3 years ago

    Looks much better now. Landscaping will distract from it but it’s not that disproportionate.

    Your shingles have aged differently on the sides of the house so be aware of that if/when you change those.

  • 3 years ago

    I actually think your chimney is the best part of your exterior. It gives the home character.

    Can’t wait to see updates.

    Maybe something to consider when landscaping. Paved or slate walkways.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Your home is charming and cleaning it up just that little bit has done so much. That chimney is great!

  • 3 years ago

    Cute house! I would limewash all the brick with a very light gray toned product. The red brick clashes with the orange undertone of the shingles. With most products you can do a test area that can be washed off.

  • 3 years ago

    Heather, That is in the works. Plan to build a covered porch in the front of the house.


  • 3 years ago

    Love the idea of a slate walkway for both practical and aesthetic reasons. Thanks! Currently all the walkways are stone - not so practical in the winter.


Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio