Software
Houzz Logo Print
hanoof83

Need help with the wall behind the bed

13 years ago
I'm not sure what to do with the back of this wall, any ideas .?

Thank you

Comments (59)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would start with some cool hanging lights for the nightstands. What about some drapes behind the bed?
    Miami · More Info
    Seeley Guest Bedroom · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    suggestions
  • 13 years ago
    I just purchased a house and this looks EXACTLY like my master bedroom. I LOVE the ottomans at the end of your bed. Where did you find them? I am having a similar dilemma, about wall decor and lamps but at least you chose a nice wall color, right now my entire room is "beige" because I'm unsure of accent colors. There are many great ideas in the comments.
  • 13 years ago
    Keitha suggested mirrors and I think that will look great. Also, some nice lights. . Here are some ideas
    Aldine Avenue · More Info

    Tholen House · More Info

    Hollywood Regency Master Bedroom · More Info

    Random Work · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    what about this one ?
    Minneapolis Interior Designer - Luxury Loft by Tiffany Hanken Design · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you for all the suggestions !
  • 13 years ago
    Carolins what would the frame be made of ?
  • 13 years ago
    Wall trim, chair rail... available from your local DIY store :-)

    You can go for a classic look with moulding,
    HHL 2010 - Bedrooms · More Info


    or for a more contemporary look like this:
    Contemporary Bedroom · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    More
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    cmrkeith suggested mirrors from Target. I have one I've used multiple times and in a similar color bedroom here's some photos. The owner wanted an organic placement. She loves the way the mirrors bounce light in the room at night.
  • 13 years ago
    What is your accent color?
  • 13 years ago
    Check out this wall treatment... It's from houzz ....sorry I don't know how to add the link ....
  • 13 years ago
    What about this idea?
  • 13 years ago
    I havnt read all the previous comments... but the very first thing that stands out to me is the kick board. If u remove this and put a thicker more substantial skirting board in place and have it painted a gloss white... bingo... It will make the room look refined ! Have fun :-)
  • 13 years ago
    Consider these or similar above each night stand, in keeping with the scale:

    http://www.amazon.com/Kichler-Lighting-42634CH-Parker-Sconce/dp/B004RF7M5U/ref=pd_cp_hi_0

    I would use a large-scale, elegant stencil pattern similar to this:

    http://www.amazon.com/Designer-Damask-Design-Stencil-Pattern/dp/B007WSGO2Q/ref=sr_1_26?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1378683181&sr=1-26&keywords=wall+stencils

    or this:

    http://www.amazon.com/Large-Damask-Stencil-Mural-Design/dp/B0061OSJSE/ref=sr_1_65?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1378683235&sr=1-65&keywords=wall+stencils

    using paint one "level" shinier than what you have on the wall, just on the headboard wall, for a stylish but restful look. I would agree that the baseboards might be gloss white but the size should be kept the same as adjacent areas in your house.

    I would recommend adding a throw in an accent color and then repeating it in a few similarly colored items around the room. Afterward, you could see if you still felt you needed to add artwork or mirrors.

    You have a great start with your beautiful choices of wall color, headboard, footstools and bedding!
  • 13 years ago
    What is the boxy thing along the ceiling? Consider painting it the wall color to make it disappear?
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe put something like this on the boxy thing.
    Interior Design · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Wonderful ideas everyone!

    I like these wall lamps for over the nightstands .. that would free-up the space on top.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think this wall is screaming for wallpaper and sconces! These wallpapers all have a metallic sheen making them very luxurious.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Ideas for sconces.....The darker ones pick up the colour of the studs on the headboard.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    The small benches are nice but there are too many "cubes" (with the night stands) in the room. If you can return them, I suggest choosing a long bench.
  • 13 years ago
    just add a large chandelier. If you like that idea you don't have to do anything behind the bed because the headboard is tall and the ceiling drops at the bed anyway. Don't want to get to busy/ cramped in that space because it is already very pretty. Then you could add sconces on either side of the bed as others have suggested. I wouldn't do matchy-matchy overhead and sconce but do complimentary (same tone/ scale) with a little lustrous matte silver (like antiqued silver leafing) for more interest since the palette is very light and dreamy already in the room. Super pretty already!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Without reading any of the other posts, I would like to add that it is not a good idea to add too many mirrors in a bedroom. You could end up not being able able to sleep because of all the energy bouncing off the mirrors. I love the idea of a damask wallpaper (not metallic}
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I was just looking at the wall again. You can just pu the wallpaper inside the frames if you choose to
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with Lydia regarding the ottomans. If you love them and/or have multiple uses in mind for them where you need 3, consider pushing them together so they touch. That would create the illusion of one bench.
    Also, try pushing the nightstands a little bit further away from the bedside, but no more than 6-8 inches. That little added width I think would help balance with the beautiful headboard.
    I love the idea someone suggested involving moulding. That was stunning and elegant.
    I, too, think you should paint the ceiling box the wall color.
    You have a lovely start to your room.
  • 13 years ago
    Hopefully no one has already posted this one...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I've got just the thing , a White Crocodile Texture Design by Venetian Wall Design.. http://www.venetianwalldesign.com
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Also for the ceiling box and side walls, may I recommend a White Marble High-End Finish Design http://www.venetianwalldesign.com
  • 12 years ago
    I love the furniture that you have in the room! There have been so many great suggestions any of them would be great with you room. The only other suggestion I have would be to add a nice area rug to go partially under the bed. I think that it would help to ground the room. Also I love the idea of a nice chandelier over the bed.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    The ceiling box would look like this . all this great wall designs, together, will bring depth, amplitude, hight and a sharp classic cream look to your room… Check http://www.venetianwalldesign.com Thank you for your time ...
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Those finishes are gorgeous, Venetian Wall Design
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Thank you, A Crew Of Two. Are you familiar with Venetian Plaster ?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Yes, just have not seen it done so perfectly before!
  • 12 years ago
    It may seem different, but I think handing some long silky or organza (?) fabric, ceiling to floor across the whole wall would give it a very luxurious and soft look. I stayed in a swanky hotel once that did that on every wall with mirrors and great accent lighting. It felt fabulous!
  • 12 years ago
    I love your nightstands, but do think they are small as they are now. However, how do you feel about putting the bed off center and placing a cozy chair or chaise to one side of the bed? I would get a beautiful mirror to go behind one of the tables on the opposite side from the chaise. Hang a chandelier on one side and find a fabulous lamp for the other side. The chandelier should go on the mirror side; the lamp for the other table needs to give light for the chair too.

    I also love trellis stencil in silver in general and for this room.

    Right now everything is too symmetrical, something a lot of people do as a default. Things do not look good in strict symmetry as this is not what our eyes see in nature or even in the built environment.

    Even the size of your footstools echoes the size of the side tables. I don't think you need to take them back, just push them together as suggested.

    Ideally, one side table and one dressing table/desk or even a dresser. There are very nice mirrored dressers out there.

    I like what you are going for. Don't be afraid to keep it all silvery. A bedroom that is blue/white/silver is very restful and dreamy. You can bring color in with flowers or art, or not. I'd happily put white flowers in such a room and call it perfect.
  • 12 years ago
    I like the idea of a hanging curtain behind the bed.
  • 12 years ago
    A nice tufted wall
  • 12 years ago
    I must confess - I have not read much of this thread. Just messing around with my designer software. Perhaps it will give you some ideas. Good luck creating your perfect bedroom.
  • 12 years ago
    A mural is the first thing that comes to my mind. But I saw these vinyl stickers the other day on houzz which I thought were very cool:
    Art Wall Decals Wall Stickers Tree Decal Winter Trees by Nou Wall · More Info


    Here are a few examples of Peel & Stick murals (you can reposition and even move them without them losing the adhesive on the back). You'd just have to pick a subject you really love and there are thousands of images from which to chose. The images come from http://www.muralsyourway.com/ but there are a number of other sites that carry murals.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I hope this image will help you to bring some ideas for you.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi hanoof,
    just wondering what you did with your bedroom. Did you use any of the ideas given? Would love to see an update :-)
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You will surely like these patterns, You will like them just like brownies!!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I agree with the wallpaper idea and the benches. Your room is bare, so lots of potential there. A Crew of Two, nice suggestion about the hanging lights!
  • 12 years ago
    Just wondering if it would not be a good idea for people to state what their budget limitations are for their projects?
  • 12 years ago
    Paula, that was my thought and budget friendly too.
  • 12 years ago
    This is one of my favorite inexpensive solutions to your dilemma.
    Master Bedroom2 · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Can I just say that I don't think it's helpful to suggest to get bigger nightstands? My guess is they are new, and the owner isn't going to want to replace them. Plus, they are lovely and using mirrors strategically will enhance their size. I find that to be an insensitive suggestion.
  • 12 years ago
    I think Susan makes a very good point. Many times, rather than suggestions, I see "must do" remarks made on houzz -- as if to say "anyone with any sense would have done it otherwise." And now that I think about it, I am guilty of the same sort of thing when making remarks about products I've added to Idea Books "needs a bigger lampshade," "tree needs uplighting," etc..

    Sure there are generalized guidelines in design but they are only that, guidelines, the real art comes in when people don't feel overly constrained by existing guidelines or rules, eh? And regardless of how good one is at design and communicating new concepts -- as long as the project doesn't risk safety and functionality concerns are expressed-- in the end isn't the goal to please the client?
  • 12 years ago
    Love your furniture, may I ask where you got the mirrored nightstands? I've been looking for something that exact size.
    Since you have a lot of wall I would go with two tall lamps like everyone suggested. Maybe place 2 or 3 large frames next to one another along the top of your headboard with your fav. photos blown up? wedding pics, kids, pets etc...I would go with light or metallic (gold/silver) color frames, black would look a little too harsh on your lighter color furniture.