Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender12145

Crown moulding for bedroom

lavender12145
11 months ago

we are going to have our bedroom skim coated, painted and crown moulding will be replaced.

we want something detailed , a litle more than just simple ( pictures of what we liked online)

these are available in polyurethane as well as wood. Polyurethane has more options.

which is a better choice?

live in chicago, room has one long 16 feet, transom like east facing window .

Comments (12)

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

My bedroom ceilings are 9 feet and the existing crown moulding has a 7 inch face and we are going for a smaller face and height.

i looked up the recommended height of crown for a 9 foot ceiling and it said 3.5 to 7 inch should be fine and we are looking for 5-6 inches.

if polyurethane is a good choice, i can order sample today and see how they look.

what do you think?

@BeverlyFLADeziner i love the inspiration pictures you shared. thats the color palette i am

going for.

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    11 months ago

In the pictures, it seems like the curtain rod is in front of the crown moulding, not under. i didnt know we could do that?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 months ago

Are you sure your bedroom wouldn't look better with the dresser on the window wall and the bed where the dresser is currently?

lavender12145 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • ptreckel
    11 months ago

It is possible to create a wider looking crown by using two kinds of molding—a traditional crown at the ceiling and a piece of flat molding applied a few inches beneath it. Then, when painting, paint the crown, the wall between the moldings, and the lower flat molding with the same semi gloss paint. Voila! A WIDE crown, but the middle section (where the drapery rod is hung in the photo above) is actually drywall. It just appears to be one LARGE piece of moulding.

lavender12145 thanked ptreckel
  • lavender12145
    Original Author
    11 months ago

We have considered changing the layout , but placing the bed on the wall where the dresser is, is not conducive to privacy as the door will then be facing the bed. So my husband dismissed this idea . We have to work around the same layout as no other wall is empty where the bed can go. one wall has closet , and the other has fireplace.

the idea about the crown moulding with a gap of drywall to accommodate the curtain rod is interesting! I know people join teo narrow faced mouldings to make it wider. but i did not think it necessary for us because on the websites i can find really tall crowns too. we are looking for 6 inches F.

if i do go with 6 inches, then how do i hang curtains that are 108 inches long? do i get them hemmed? i ordered a sky blue from ballard designs.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    11 months ago

lavender12145 thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • lavender12145
    Original Author
    11 months ago

If i change my bed layout it will be one of the 3 worst feng shui samples. i see in all 3 of them the room door is opening right in front of the bed

• ptreckel
    11 months ago

Have you priced out thick/wide crown vs. narrow crown and flat trim? And, yes….you might have to have draperies hemmed. How wide is your window? Width might be an issue for stock draperies unless you have panels sewn together.

• jackowskib
    11 months ago

Feng shui is what brings you comfort and joy. No rules here. On crown molding consider using 5” standard crown and could use ceiling for additional trim idea instead of going down the wall. Wall color would be a border on the ceiling.

• Kendrah
    11 months ago

This crown is way too ornate for your ceiling height and space. If your windows were longer and had a more historic vibe to them you might be able to get away with it. They would be a pain to dust as well. Nothing about this makes sense to me. I'd do something simple and classic that transitions the space from what it is to what you want it to be and save ornate details for bedding, furniture, and other elements.

• lavender12145
    Original Author
    11 months ago

what do you think of the original crown ? we were going to keep it and paint that and the wall white. but we cant find matching profile to go on the wall where its missing. so decided to go with a new crown moulding. and my original looks like this.