Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindalana

How is your Snake eyes?

FB group has post after post about Snake eyes hostas being infected as major distributor wholesale known to have them infected.
I seriously want not to hyperventilate over entire HVX thing.
I do have 2 Snake eyes, both are from Gary years back. Since he was doing mostly his own TC I think I should not go around and test all hostas ...

Comments (15)

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    10 months ago

I don’t have one, but is it possible to know the name of the wholesaler so we can avoid purchasing from them???

debra

lindalana 5b Chicago thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
  • miles10612
    10 months ago

i've had 2 and neither did well--they dwindled and died several years ago.

lindalana 5b Chicago thanked miles10612
  • gardengoon1957
    10 months ago

I have had mine since 2015 its doing fine

lindalana 5b Chicago thanked gardengoon1957
  • indianagardengirl
    10 months ago

Bought mine last year at a nursery and went out now to look closely. Oh dear.

lindalana 5b Chicago thanked indianagardengirl
  • lindalana 5b Chicago
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Indianagardengirl, sorry to see it.

Debra, all big stores are carrying loads of infected plants and am not sure on specific names but if you google Snake eyes suppliers few names come up. Not sure if mentioning names is legal.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    10 months ago

Gotcha!
    Indianagg, so sorry to see what looks like HVX….. ☹️ I got it on a Royal Standard maybe 5 years ago. Hard to deal with.

debra

• indianagardengirl
    10 months ago

Yes, has me paranoid about each new hosta I bought last year. I had not worried much about HVX because I had not seen it. How foolish of me!

• indianagardengirl
    10 months ago

Here is Fire Island. I thought it was sunburn, but it only gets a couple hours in early morning. now wondering if it is something more sinister.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    10 months ago

My experience is FI burns easily. Mine only gets a slice of Sun through a fence and it burns there usually. I don’t think yours looks infected, I think it looks burned.

debra

• bkay2000
    10 months ago

I agree with Debra.

bk

• indianagardengirl
    10 months ago

Thanks Debra and bkay, appreciate both of you weighing in. I will move FI somewhere full shade. (After sterilizing my tools after the removal of Snake Eyes.)

• gardenchick2010
    10 months ago

Seeing this thread now, 2 weeks after I just bought Snake Eyes, at Walmart, no less. I think it looks ok. What do you guys think. And sorry, indianagardengirl to see yours was infected.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    10 months ago

The Royal Standard I had was old and still manifested the virus. I did buy the test kit, $$$ and it did test positive. I chucked it and left the spot open. I read that it was ok to plant other plants in the soil, but not a hosta. It sat that way for several years. Last year Sage was getting so burned I moved it to a spot next to where the other hosta had been. It seems I read that after a few years it would be safe to plant in the area again. 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

debra

• gardenchick2010
    10 months ago

My new Snake Eyes is planted, so too late to throw out the pot. I'm in Canada, so maybe the wholesaler here is ok. Guess time will tell.

Ironically, my Sun Power which I learned here on this forum was infected with HVX, I bought at an actual garden centre, not a big box one. It's been a few years since I dug it out, and I planted turtleheads in the spot, and they seem happy. 🙂

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living