Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slin2007

Need advice on corner space

Sharon Lin
9 months ago

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can put in this corner? Thank you!

Comments (16)

• auntthelma
    9 months ago

Woodpile. desk. bookshelf. rocking chair? tall green plant.

• eld6161
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Why not start to think about art work? Window treatments?

Can you post a entire view of that tv wall?

• Sharon Lin
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Tv wall

• Sharon Lin
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I need something to go in the corner, where my doggy bed is

• loobab
    9 months ago

Are you going to get any kind of curtains or other window treatments?

If so, I think you should get those first before you decide what else you put in that area.

Another thing, although you didn't ask, I think your sconce on the side of your fireplace is a bit too high.

• Sharon Lin
    Original Author
    9 months ago

No window coverings. I agree on the sconces, they are too high. My contractor put them up before asking me!

• lharpie
    9 months ago

Small armchair with some color?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 months ago

The sconces really prohibit items from being placed in this location. Poor choice of location.

Additionally, The wall between the windows might have been the better location for the TV.

• Jenny Island
    9 months ago

A little hard for me to tell from the photos, but can you move the entire sectional toward the tv/fireplace? If possible, by a few feet so that the double casement window isn’t blocked by the back of the couch?

• Sharon Lin
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I’ll give that a try and maybe put a table behind the sectional

• Mark Brunner
    9 months ago

Move the sectional forward to the fireplace. Add a small table at the left end, then art work left of the fireplace.

• Andee
    9 months ago

The sconces can be moved. Or, at some time in future, you could get a style that points downward, so the bulk of the fixture is not so high.

• coray
    9 months ago

Maybe a swivel chair (not too huge) and/or a nice plant? But I agree with some of the other comments re. TV on the other wall….I’m sorry your contractor decided to put up the sconces w/o your input…..who does that???😡

• Ruth
    9 months ago

You need art, art, and more art

• loobab
    9 months ago

Hi Sharon-

Have you just moved in?

Maybe you should live there a while before you make final decisions.

The reason I suggest this is because may be you will realize more what you need in that room over the next year as you use it more.

For example, over the next year or two you may realize that you want some storage in that room for a bar, things for entertaining things, games, books, audio-visual equipment, photo albums, 3-dimensional collectibles, etc.

The options for the above could mean a shelf unit with closed storage on the bottom, or a unit with drawers or doors and above some shelves.

I would decide on that first, and then decide where to place the lighting afterwards.

a sconce can even be placed right on the front of a book shelf.

Also, both sides do not have to be identical either.

They need to have balance in their visual weight, but do not need be identical.

I also strongly suggest some large live plants in the room.

Your room is crying out for life.

Please be sure your pet is trained to not chew on them or pick ones that are not poisonous.