Software
Houzz Logo Print
jokeefe10

Need help/advice filling wall space PLEASE :)

3 years ago

House is pretty much complete but I have huge areas of blank wall space. I can’t do “big art” on all of them so need some ideas on how to fill it out nicely. If anyone responds, thank you very much!

Comments (7)

  • 3 years ago

    I think the mirror in the dining room should be a bit narrower, quite a bit taller, a lot chunkier and more interesting/unique.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    That mirror in the dining is the wrong size for such an important wall.

    That sideboard is too small for that wall. You can assemble something better from IKEA if funds are an issue.

    The rug in the dining area is way too small for these table and chairs.

    You have options as to what can be used on the wall. Lots of them








    Larger rug works better in the space.

    The foyer is the first chance you have to make a good impression. The table is great. Now it just needs a few other items. A mirror would probably be best.

    You can get large mirror for a small price at HomeGoods.


  • 3 years ago

    chispa and Beverly covered it all. Take their advice. Start looking for things you love and don't rush into buying things just to fill the walls. It is okay to live with a blank space for a while.


    Try taping off with blue painter's tape different sizes on the wall in your foyer, above your buffet, to the left of your fireplace so you can get a feel for how different sizes take up the space. I would argue that if you have a great collection of gigantic artwork, your home absolutely can handle multiple large pieces.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    If you have no artistic ability and no money for the art you like, you can always purchase primed canvases from a craft store, paint them colors and apply them to the wall. Inexpensive and effective.

    I always like decorating with 'found objects'






  • 3 years ago

    I used to find a lot of excellent and interesting art and sculptural pieces at thrift stores but HomeGoods seems to have captured the market of what's being donated to thrift stores these days so I've shifted to online auctions for better quality and more interesting pieces.

    If there are any local auction houses in your area, check out their online auctions. I've found great pieces for very little money.

    One of my most recent is this Curtis Jere, Rainy Day at the Park Wall Sculpture. I paid $40 for it. I saw the same one on 1stDibs for $1200 (no one will ever pay that). I also saw one by the same artist in Architectural Digest on the wall of Viola Davis' house. Maybe she got a bargain too!

    Completely agree, go slowly and find things that speak to you.



  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Here are a few ideas that might help you figure out what you'd like to do on all your blank walls. See the images below and note the plants, artwork, accent walls, shelves, and small desk area.

    California Ranch Transformation · More Info


    California Ranch Transformation · More Info


    Modern Glam · More Info


    Pacific Palisades Family Room · More Info


    Casual Classic Remodel · More Info


    Charming Cottage · More Info