Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_289349974

Soapstone pricing too good to be true?

3 years ago

I went to go look at soapstone slabs yesterday and found a few that I liked. Both places that I went had price ranges rated from A-H, with A being cheapest, H being most expensive. All of the slabs that I saw with the exception of one were in the G-H range. The exception was a C. This is one of the slabs that I'm interested in, however after getting home and doing some reading, I'm a little concerned that it might not actually be real soapstone. The stone was labelled as Ocean Black, which is suspiciously similar to Marine Black, a common name that M Teixeira lists as not a real soapstone, but is instead a Phyllite. This doesn't necessary exclude this material from consideration, but I really can't find a lot of information about it as a countertop material, and I really don't want to drop nearly $10k on a counter only to find that I really really really hate it. I realize now that I should have brought some materials to do some testing with, but it didn't even register with me as a red flag until I got home and started researching. If I decide to potentially move forward, of course I'll bring a lemon, some wine, etc and see if there are any issues with etching or staining before actually paying for these slabs.



I did a Houzz search and found some questions in a couple of threads but never really got solid information. It sounds like Phyllite may or may not etch/stain. It can be oiled (but does the oil actually damage it? I'm fine with it seeping in and staying oiled) Might be harder than soapstone but still scratch, and if it scratches, can they be sanded out like soapstone?

Comments (6)