Software
Houzz Logo Print
mmccool719

old house, small primary closet

3 years ago

I am remodeling a 90 year old home. The master closet is only 19” deep. Does anyone have experience with closets in older homes where you were able to get creative with space? I’m installing 60” sliding mirror doors and have a good 9 feet of height to work with. It’s just the depth I am challenged with, especially to hang clothes. Ideal depth today is 24”.

Comments (9)

  • 3 years ago

    Hard to tell from your photo but is extending out further an option to get more depth? Or is there room if you remove the closet and build a wall unit?

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    We opened up two side by side closets. Shelves hold lots of things! My husband installed this closet.

    I was surprised that I could have two poles for hanging.



    For our daughter’s studio apartment, we had California Closet. She needed drawers.



    She has a few long dresses so there is a pole on the right to accommodate them.

    I would get a professional closet company.

    Here is our closet in our Florida house. Professionally designed again to what our needs are here.


  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I wouldn't do sliders. Bifold doors give you better access. You can get mirrored bifolds.

    All the above closets have bifolds.

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    What's BEHIND the closet? You need more detail in both layout and information. Can you shelve that closet, add another elsewhere ? Who knows

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I agree no sliders on such a small closet. As for the depth the easy answer is build the wall out to the proper depth. We bought a 105 yr old house no closets so we converted one small bedroom space to a closet.

  • 3 years ago

    I suggest you look online for Petite Hangers. They are somewhere between kids hangers and more standard ones. Pay particular attention to the dimensions as they vary. You will want something 14-15 inches wide.

  • 3 years ago

    My house was 170 years old and who knows when the closets were added but they were not deep enough for a regular hanger. I didn't want to use a petite hanger, especially on heavy winter coats. Front facing telescoping rods were fantastic. I never actually pulled them out because the closet was so shallow it was easy enough for me to reach in, even to get clothing towards the back. Here are a few examples of front facing rods:


    Wayfair


    Build


    It would make me sad to see in an old home with sliding doors. I would put double doors that swing out. Add a long shelf above where the blue line is. (Looks like there was a shelf in this area before.) Mount to the bottom of the shelf two side by side front facing telescoping clothing racks, or just one and have shelves next to it. With good shelf organizers, you can fit a ton into this closet.


    Imagine something like this yellow closet but with the hanging clothes facing front instead of sideways.






  • 3 years ago

    Extend the closet out the 5 missing inches. This is the time to make it just right, not make-do.

  • 3 years ago

    Agree - do you have space for double doors? that is what i would do if there is room. i hate sliders because you can’t see the entire closet at once and they are always a bit fiddly to move back and forth.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner