Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2zmom_gw

Even more butterfly IDs needed!

last year

Thanks again to Jay and arbordave for all their kind help.

Dun Skipper?

Also a Dun Skipper?

Orange Sulphur?

No clue

Don't know but pretty

another unknown visitor

Painted Lady I think

no clue but gorgeous

A monarch did a quick drive by but could not get any photos. Hopefully he'll be back today. And one of my favorites, a hummingbird moth, showed up, but all my photos were awful. It's hard to get a good shot of them.

Comments (20)

• last year

all but the last two are moths... i wonder how i know that.. what are the basic things that make me think that...

I THINK the last 2 are butterflies... BUT WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED THEY ARE MOTHS... oops...

is it because moths are furry.. or hairy..????

ken

• last year

The only moths I know for sure are a cabbage moth (I have a ton of them dancing around every day) and a hummingbird moth, one of the cooler insects you'll come across. I'm about 80% sure number 3 is an orange sulfur (a butterfly) but I wouldn't bet money on it as I am no Lepidoptera expert.

• last year
    last modified: last year

Ken, they aren't moths, they are skippers. Scientifically classified as butterflies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skipper_(butterfly)

• last year

Yes to the Orange Sulphur & Painted Lady. I believe the last one is a Pearl Crescent. You are having a great year with butterflies!

a2zmom_Z6_NJ thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • last year

@peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada I think you are right about the Pearl Crescent. I've never seen one before, really a beauty. And after many years with way too few butterflies and bees, this has been a banner year. (I should try to get all my bees identified. So many different kinds).

@Jay 6a Chicago Am I correct about the Dun Skipper? And any thoughts on 4, 5, 6 above?

• last year
    last modified: last year

a2zmom_Z6_NJ, 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 are all Dun Skipper. The wings have very faint markings that may or may not show up, depending on the lighting. Dun Skippers have furry upper bodies, and their antenas are bent back at the tips. Clouded Skippers look very similar to Dun Skippers, but they have a conspicuous white spot on their wings. Pearl Crescents use aster family species as host plants.

• last year

Then the Pearl Crescent should be suoer happy. I bought an Alma Potschke years ago. The damn thing seeded everywhere and most of them reverted.

The Dun Skipper in picture 5 has revealed himself to be quite a handsome fellow in the right lighting. Thank for the details on spotting these guys. They definitely look different in different circumstances.

• last year

I'm not sure #5 is a Dun Skipper. The yellow on the upper side of the wings isn't consistent with that species. Also, Clouded Sulphur could be possible for #3. It's an Orange Sulphur if the upper side has orange. The under side of these two species can be very similar.

• last year

Unfortunately, I never saw the upper side of the Sulphur. Maybe he'll make a return visit.

• last year

I have this list of New Jersey grass Skippers. It might take a minute to search though.

• last year

Ken, they aren't moths, they are skippers.

==>> i kinda figured i was making improper overly broad suggestions.. but i just wanted you guys to talk about them.. rather than just throwing out names.. figuring maybe i might actually learn something... the jury is still out on that..lol..

ken

• 12 months ago

Cloudless Sulphur.

• 12 months ago

four, I'm pretty sure it's not a Cloudless Sulphur. See these links from alabama butterflyatlas:

Cloudless Sulphur

Clouded Sulphur

• 12 months ago
    last modified: 12 months ago

You're right. Now I see the cloud somewhat,

(Trivia : in central FL there are no Clouded.)

• 12 months ago

Pretty sure Orange Sujphur. He came back and I stood there and took probably 100 burst shots hoping to get one as he flew away and I did. So here it is:

• 12 months ago

Good work, Orange Sulphur for sure. Female.

Trivia : none of this species either, in central FL. We get Orange Barred Sulphur (and Cloudless); I raise both from eggs.

• 12 months ago

Butterfly photography can be hard work, lol. Still more fun than weeding though.

So cool that you're raising butterflies.

• 12 months ago

Eclosed this morning :

• PRO
    11 months ago

The "cabbage moth" referred to above is a butterfly.