Software
Houzz Logo Print
michael_robinson144

Cabinets installed 24" from countertop. What should I do about this??

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I just had a home renovated and everything looks great except for the kitchen cabinets. My contractor installed them too high. My wife and I were not aware of the standard placement of cabinets before the install took place. We honestly had so much going on at the time. We had just had our first child while the project was going so when our contractor told us where the cabinets would go, we assumed it'd be good. It doesn't look bad per se (maybe I'm biased being taller) but they are not in the ideal location. We are also surprised the city inspector didn't call this out.

Now they the cabinets and backsplash is installed, we are not sure what to do. Buy a step stool and forget about it, or hire someone to lower them. I guess I'm wondering from the group here if you all think it looks bad or have had a similar dilemma and what did you do.




Comments (8)

  • 3 years ago

    They look fine to me, even if on the higher side. While 18” is common, there’s no requirement for that—ours are 19” and many people go higher or lower based on preference. Definitely not something an inspector would care about since it’s not governed by code. Here, it looks like the height was defined by the refrigerator cabinet. That couldn’t have gone lower, and everything else aligns. Assuming you gave the cabinet company or kitchen designer the refrigerator model when the plans were drawn, that decision was made long so. If you find it bothers you, you can add a shelf and put some items on that—but that might make them too low, assuming those are 2” tiles. If it just bothers you aesthetically, you could add some trim. How many inches above the counter are they?

  • 3 years ago

    Looks totally fine to me.  If it hadn't called out the height,  I wouldn't have noticed.

  • 3 years ago

    (Saw your update. If they’re really 24” off the counter then you have room to add a 6” shelf if you want. But those do look like 2” tiles, which would mean they’re only around 21“ off the counter…are you sure about the measurement?)

  • 3 years ago

    I would add a shelf for items you use regularly. The kitchen looks good! Good luck with your new baby.


  • 3 years ago

    I think it looks fine, but I would not be able to use them at all. I am just under 5' tall. If your wife is also tall, like you, I wouldn't worry about it. Usefulness needs to come first.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    As artemis78 asked, are you positive the backsplash measurement is 24”?

    It does look like 2” tiles. So counting the tiles, I get 20” (add for grout lines) so 21” sounds about right. If that is correct, then that is reasonable and many actually prefer it at 19 or 20”. 18” is standard. 24” would be pretty high.

    I like the dark green tile!

    Also, even though you didn’t ask, did you make sure the dishwasher clears the cabinet and oven handles when open. It look like it is cutting it pretty close!

  • 3 years ago

    Nice kitchen! It looks fine to me. I would live with it. Get a sturdy step stool for items you place in top of your cabinets. Enjoy your kitchen.

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    That's a 2.5 x 8 tile? Yes? then it is 24 inches

    They look fine, and your refrigerator/cabinet above dictated placement. I'm not overly tall at 5'5" and I can reach the top shelf in a 36" cabinet installed at 18 above. Considering the dishwasher and range placement? I think you've bigger inconveniences to worry on. I'll be shocked if you can fully open the D.W door and clear the range handle.