Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lghbug

Hi I need to replace the existing painted tile..

maurice
8 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

The front wall is dark grey with two accent light grey walls on each side.

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 months ago

I do not know what you are asking I actully cannot tell if the tiles are painted . I will say that mirror is all wrong , it is too big and reflects nothing worth seeing twice . A great piece of art there would be huge improvement. If the tiles are painted I agree they need to be replaced but to offer suggestions we need to see the whole space . So post the rest of the pics here in comments DO NOT start another post.

• Jilly
    8 months ago

Patricia, that’s not a mirror, it’s a TV in an arched niche.

Maurice, are you wanting to replace the tile with new tile?

Hopefully Beth H sees this, she always has lots of fireplace makeover ideas.

• PRO
    maurice
    Original Author
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Jilly your correct, I]it's a 62 inch tv recessed into that space.. Yes I'm looking to replace it with something more modern. Any ideas? Thanks

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 months ago

Even worse how on earth do you watch that screen except lying on your back so I still say the wrong place for whatever it is.

• Jilly
    8 months ago

Can you say more about the decor styles you like? What other furniture will be in the room?

I think TVs over fireplaces are best in many situations, but wondering if yours would work better on another wall?

It’s just hard to say about tile without more context.

My initial thought was something like this (ignore the shiplap walls) … with painting the fireplace wall the lighter gray of your other walls:

• kandrewspa
    8 months ago

I'm distracted by what looks like white painted trim around unpainted wood windows. Can you paint the windows themselves so they go together? I also wouldn't have painted that wall a different color than the rest of the room. Since you're going to redo the fireplace it will be the star. You don't need an accent wall color on top of it. What are those pillar like things in the corners? Can they be removed? As for the fireplace, we do need to know what style you're interested in, but here are a handful of pictures I have saved.

Hill Road · More Info

Gold Fork · More Info

Huestis Tucker Architects, LLC · More Info

Client House · More Info

Modern Rustic Estate · More Info

• PRO
    maurice
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I purchaced this house a year ago so I've bee pretty busy.. I can do the work but I don't have a eye for stlye. So far it's been grey... help!!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 months ago

I'd like to suggest that your focus might be on the wrong object in this room.

The wall has two full-arch windows and an eyebrow arch niche in the center. These shapes are in conflict with one another.

The TV might be better positioned on a different wall. This large room really can support a much larger TV screen that can be more easily viewed when mounted at the proper height. I would select a long wall-mounted cabinet like you see below from Wayfair and have it mounted on the RH wall.

I'd drywall over the niche in the fireplace wall and install some tall art that will help distract from those double-hung windows. Picture windows would have been a better choice for that wall.

If you want to continue to use the outdoor area rug in this space, I'd advise you to rotate the rug and center it on the fireplace. It will help make the room look wider with the stripes running across the width.

A more lively patterned rug could add some zip to the space.

• PRO
    maurice
    Original Author
    8 months ago

hmmm nice ideas and markups, so what about the fireplace? Should I replace/paint it?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    8 months ago

This is the layout I would have developed for your room.

That air return? on the wall is a real issue and a very unusual placement. I'd spend $$ seeing if that can either be lowered or raised before spending $$ on the fireplace.

This vent is always going to be a huge hurdle to overcome. Painting it isn't going to fix the issue.

• kelli_ga
    8 months ago

Yes, you should do something with the fireplace tile. When you are ready.

The best thing to do is find photos of fireplaces you like. Initially, don’t worry about whether or not they will work with your fireplace or walls, just save the pics together somewhere. Look at them over and over for weeks or months. Start to eliminate the ones you don’t like anymore or are sure you don’t want.

It looks like you have a fireplace box similar to the one I used to have. There is not a whole lot you can do with the black box, but you can do all kinds of things around it. There will be restrictions as to what kinds of materials you can place where. But don’t worry about that yet. See if you can find the manual for your fireplace box online. That will help later.

I did meram blanc carrera marble tile and a white mantel surround. I loved it. It may be more traditional than what you want.

It looks like your tile edge is unfinished, at least on the outside. The new design should have better edging. I can’t tell how it is edged on the inside by the black box.

This can be a really nice stylized focal point for your space. Take your time to come up with something spectacular. You can hire a designer if you want, but start by collecting inspiration pics.

Oh - put the TV on the right wall in a bookcase or shelving unit. Or google images for ”TV wall” - those are really fun too.

• PRO
    maurice
    Original Author
    2 months ago

• PRO
    maurice
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Designing to sell. Will paint inner window trim, have grey/blue artsy carpet. Corner columns are, unfortunately, structurally permanent. Now, what about fireplace color?material? mantel? Art for accent wall? Other?

• Jennz9b
    2 months ago

If you want to sell it paint all the walls the same soft white. that blue(or grey- whatever the color is) wall is a bug rather than a feature.

• PRO
    maurice
    Original Author
    2 months ago

• PRO
    maurice
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Okay I painted the accent wall same color the other wall.. Any recommendations for the fireplace ?

• PRO
    maurice
    Original Author
    2 months ago

BTW I'm 90% finished disregard the upper part

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor