Shop Products
trainee

“Tsukumo” chamaecyparis-Prune wild sprouts?

This little guy has been in ground 4 years. This summer it sent out these wild looking sprouts. Tag said growth rate 1” - 3” per year & it has grown but very uniformly. It is still quite small - the plants in background are all dwarfs too. I saw this when cleaning out that awful green mossy weedy stuff the other day. I’m cultivating the purple stonecrop you can see in background but it’s slow going so I do need to get mulch out there to keep moss out. What about cutting off these wild sprouts to maintain shape? Or, since there’s lots of room, just let it do its thing?

• 10 months ago

looks like it has become fully established.. and outgrowing its alleged dwarf annual growth rate...

i dont recall if chams are grafted.. first look to see if this is growth below a graft... root stock annual growth.. if do.. remove it...

with that growth rate.. your babe isnt going to stay tiny anymore.. and unless haphazardly transplanted.. this will be its new annual growth rate... a bad transplant would otherwise be known as root pruning.. or bonsai.. lol ..

or just start hand pruning it.. i would recommend against shearing.. i just hate shearing.. teenage nightmares... lol

ken

KW PNW Z8 thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • 10 months ago

Various dwarf or mini forms of Chamaecyparis will occasionally generate a few long, feathery growths and it's not hard to find references to 'Tsukumo' doing so. These are atypical so it does NOT mean the growth rate has accelerated and overall, the plant will retain the same form and annual rate of growth. More of these odd shoots may not appear for several seasons.....or ever again. Just some genetic quirk!

Whether you choose to leave them or remove is up to you and the aesthetic you prefer. I have done both :-))

KW PNW Z8 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • 10 months ago

Thank you both for your responses - both helpful & reassuring, Ken, I absolutely agree with you - no shearing! I hate that too. My pruning method is the grab & snip style. I prefer a natual look to plants. To your point GG, I do choose to remove the feathery growth to retain the original shape - does that mean these feathery sprouts should be cut at a joint that takes their lengths back to match the rest of branches or should they be cut back to base of plant? Not clear on whether that will leave a hole.

ETA I just looked up Tsukkumo & indeed, I did find references to long feathery sprouts on this plant & mentions of cutting off or leaving as is without affecting slow growth rate. No mention or cutting those sprouts completely off or just cut back so that question remains for me….

• 10 months ago

" does that mean these feathery sprouts should be cut at a joint that takes their lengths back to match the rest of branches or should they be cut back to base of plant? Not clear on whether that will leave a hole. "

That is also your choice :-)) The foliage is dense enough on this cultivar that no 'hole' would be noticeable.