Software
Houzz Logo Print
217nette

What type of area rug would you choose?

3 years ago

Trying to update this room with new/rearrangement of exisiting artwork and area rug. I have no idea what color scheme I should be looking for. Any suggestions welcome!



Comments (16)

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I never put a rug under a dining table because it is so much easier to clean up a bare floor and it is so much harder to pull chairs in and out over the edge of a rug.

    If those were my chairs and my Italian posters I would do a red and orange print on the seat covers -- a fabric in the same colors and wild flying spirit and I'd get 1 or 2 more posters for the wall over the sideboard in the same style, plus a nice Italian tureen or other ceramic for the sideboard.





    https://www.chairish.com/product/10869834/vintage-italian-faience-soup-tureen



    https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/pdp/east-urban-home-victoria-arduino-1922-by-leonetto-cappiello-graphic-art-print-on-canvas-eume1893.html

    Nette D thanked mytwo cents
  • PRO
    3 years ago

    The whole setup currently Is chocolate right now. The chairs match too close to the table. Painting is beautiful but way too small. You might be able to blow it up and frame it if you really want to keep it. If it's an original then I'd use the painting in a row of 2 or 3 paintings similar to it.

    I'd add new fabric, upholstered to the chairs. I didn't have carpet under my own dining table for years because of kids and ease of cleaning. But the room looked naked and not well put. I use outdoor rugs for any dining areas. Outdoor rugs are easier to clean, rougher and lay flat better. They're usually tightly wound so you barely get food in the nooks and crannies (if you get a good quality one)

    The room doesn't look dark but you could use a brighter color/accents around the hutch and the table. I would add a lamp or vase with fresh flowers on the right side of the picture frame and change the knob colors on the hutch to a gold to match the golds in the painting.

    Ivories. Neutral beige, creams and light blue and golds (yellow, light orange) would flow with all the brown. I would stay away from anymore black, silver or red.

    Nette D thanked SF INTERIORS
  • Nette D thanked mytwo cents
  • 3 years ago

    Are those cookbooks in the corner?

  • 3 years ago

    You need latger art with some color. Would do wonders.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Here's a rug that would tone down all the brown. Little plain but the intricate design is harmonious with the table.

    As for the Art, the one currently there is fine, full of color in a muted way. I couldn't tell the actual painting but it's similar to old art deco or art nouveau chef art. The one in the previous comments would go very well side by side with the one already there.

    Nette D thanked SF INTERIORS
  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Adding on to the painting @my2cents , any of these would match while being different in their own way. They have a lot of color and fit a dining area better than most mass produced art. 2 or 3 of these side by side would be wide enough.

    Nette D thanked SF INTERIORS
  • 3 years ago

    @mytwocents yes, those are cookbooks! I love all the suggestions! In regards to the extra artwork, I have those very pieces as welll in my kitchen just smaller painted canvases. (crazy fun fact my mother in law actually has the orignal of that Cafe Expresso) I also love the idea of adding two more prints above the sideboard and changing the fabric on the chairs. ICanvas has all of these poster art pieces in any size.

  • 3 years ago

    You should feature the cookbooks as part of your decor. I'm not seeing the whole space so I don't know what's possible, but at a minimum try putting the bookcase flat against the wall instead of angled in the corner, and sometimes what can be great is a pub table to with a stool in the same corner as the cookbooks, where someone can sit and go through the recipes, with a glass of wine.





    They are cheap so the trick is reading the reviews to see if anyone complains about wobbling. The table can serve as a dessert serving surface when there is company.



    Nette D thanked mytwo cents
  • 3 years ago

    I think you need a rug. It looks like the furniture is aimlessly “floating”without them. The size has to be large enough for the chairs to be pulled out but still on the rug. There are so many nice rugs that will liven up the room. And most are easy to clean and vacuum.

    What colors do you like? Show us photos of the areas nearby so we can see what you have. Your furniture is completely neutral, so I would get a rug I love and then change the seat cover to complement them.

    I have a white painted round table and chairs. My rug makes them look much better than if the furniture just sat on my wood floor.

  • 3 years ago

    Loved “minimal changes” and one above it—wallpaper

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    @simplynatural love this thank you! Love the idea of those panels! There was a pocket door there when we moved in and two built-ins. So many great ideas.

  • 3 years ago

    Note about the art: If you want to keep your existing poster artwork, you can always mat them in a larger frame and they will present as splendidly eye catching. I've used clearance framed art from places like Home Goods, spray painted the mat to my choice of color and reframed with MY art with great results. Budget friendly, even on a large piece.

    I have also had larger than typical mats professionally cut in order to install smaller art into larger frames. Even great museums do this.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    No fake Orientals, not never!

    Get yourself a genuine, hand-knotted Persian, or hand woven tribal or Caucasus.

    You will never regret it.

    It will give your room an authenticity, vibrancy and depth of color, and because of the variety of colors in them, they are really neutrals.

    You can choose whatever colors you like for the other things in the room, and you can choose whatever "style" you like for the the furniture or accessories.

    They are not hard to keep clean either.

    Get yourself an inexpensive non-motorized carpet sweeper (under $50) to pick up crumbs and hair, etc.

    Vacuum as little as possible.

    Always put a pad between the rug and the hard floor.

    A good dealer will bring a few to your home so you can judge them in situ and make the best choice.













  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Consider your taste - do you prefer a neutral or a bolder rug (select color based on adjoining spaces). I could see a somewhat darker neutral with an interesting minimal pattern, which will be eye catching but in an elegant/subtle way.




    I often find that when I add an influential item, other things in room need updates. Here are some ideas, if interested, which will define/create a “look“ in your dining room.

    Sideboard: suggest a lamp, use your vases but in a more layered look with larger art as well.




    A large modern centrepiece and a black chandelier will help tie in the dark furniture.