Software
Houzz Logo Print
kristiejo23

countertop color help

3 years ago

We just moved and are looking to replace the countertop, backsplash and cabinets are staying. What colors would look best here?

Comments (36)

  • 3 years ago

    I suspect that I will not be alone in saying (1) the feature of the kitchen crying out for an update is the backsplash, and (2) if you change the counter, you will almost certainly disturb the backsplash anyway.


    I like the white counter with oak cabinets. You could get a new one in similar tones, with an undermount sink, and then find a new backsplash that you like -- could be pale gray glass, or sparkly white, or a nice accent color like green (or turquoise).


    Rio Del Mar Kitchen With Natural Lighting and Wood Cabinetry · More Info


  • 3 years ago

    Thank you! I definitely don't like the backsplash either, but changing it out isn't in the near future unfortunately.

  • 3 years ago

    I would keep it as is until you can spring for new cabinets for a complete look.

  • 3 years ago

    There is nothing wrong with this counter. It looks good in the room, with the floors, and with the cabinets. I would not spend a penny on this kitchen while that backsplash is still up. Won't new counters cost far more than a new backsplash? Why are you not doing the backsplash now instead of the counters?

  • 3 years ago

    Your counters have a matching short backsplash and then you have backsplash tiles above that. If you replace only the countertops, you’ll have a gap where the counter material currently is and you’d have to redo the backsplash anyway. I agree with the advice to wait until you can replace both.

  • 3 years ago

    Good, so I'll stick with this color or something similar, thanks!

  • 3 years ago

    Good, so I'll stick with this color or something similar, thanks!

  • 3 years ago

    Good, so I'll stick with this color or something similar, thanks!

  • 3 years ago

    I think you can just paint the backsplash.



  • 3 years ago

    Thank you, yes I'd have to get that on the new countertop. I'll look into painting it, thank you!

  • 3 years ago

    Thank you, yes I'd have to get that on the new countertop. I'll look into painting it, thank you!

  • 3 years ago

    If we could do backsplash, what are some neutral classic options that would go with the existing cabinets? I know the cabinets have to stay for sure.

  • 3 years ago

    If we could do backsplash, what are some neutral classic options that would go with the existing cabinets? I know the cabinets have to stay for sure.

  • 3 years ago

    If we could do backsplash, what are some neutral classic options that would go with the existing cabinets? I know the cabinets have to stay for sure.

  • 3 years ago

    A tone like Corian Sandstone might look nice in the space.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Since you can't change out the backsplash, it might be the best idea to look into doing a better update down the road when you have the money to do so. The countertops, from the images, don't look bad. The backsplash seems to be the main issue along with the dated cabinets.

    Sleek & Modern: Kitchen · More Info


    Traditional Renovation: Kitchen · More Info


    Traditional Remodel: Kitchen · More Info


  • 3 years ago

    Thank you. We are hoping to only be here short time. The countertop is cracked in areas and there is grout spilled all over it. I just wanted something to make those more bare able. I think we could do backsplash and countertops, but we don't want to put too much into it. We're not looking to "flip" it, hoping to move in and move out with minimal changes.

  • 3 years ago
  • 3 years ago
  • 3 years ago
  • 3 years ago
  • 3 years ago
  • 3 years ago
  • 3 years ago
  • 3 years ago
  • 3 years ago
  • 3 years ago
  • 3 years ago
  • 3 years ago
  • 3 years ago
  • 3 years ago

    You can put new doors on the cabinets--don't have to completely rip them out. The cabinets doors are the problem.

  • 3 years ago

    There's that four inch counter material backsplash that will have to be removed when the counters are replaced (which should have either been not tiled above or removed when the tile was added, but that ship has sailed). So you'll have to replace the tile anyway because there will be a four-inch gap and the tile may get damaged with the counter removal anyway. A plain, basic backsplash (don't duplicate the thin mosaic multi-color type, but more like an elongated subway shape) could be a DIY so there'd only the cost of materials and it's a small area.


    With those cabinets and your plans to not be in this house long, I'd look at laminate counters (they've come a long way) with warm tones which will suit the cabinetry and then you'll save enough to DIY the splash. There's no point in putting a modern stone or quartz with that style of traditional cabinet and the LVP flooring-you won't recoup your expense when you sell in a couple years and it will not look cohesive with the arched style door fronts.

  • 3 years ago

    If we could do backsplash, what are some neutral classic options that would go with the existing cabinets?

    Install the new counters and then pick the splash. If you choose laminate with the integrated splash (like what you have now), then you should just paint the wall between the top of the splash & the bottom of the cabinets. No tile.

  • 3 years ago

    I've been looking into backsplashes - you can pry the existing tiles off and then paint, but the tile removal will mess up the underlying drywall. I'm considering having a countertop fabricator do a laminate countertop and also a laminate backsplash adhered to a flat, smooth substrate (MDF) . The backsplash will cover the whole area up to the cabinets. The professionals will hopefully get the receptacle cutouts done properly and the backsplash could be made to resemble marble or quartz. There are endless laminate designs and it will be a nice clean look.

  • 3 years ago

    That's awesome! They had the same backsplash in the bathroom, we did have to fix the drywall there after removing. I like the idea of the solid backsplash going up to the cabinets. I hope to do that in our next house. I didn't even think about that with laminate, thanks!