Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oursteelers

Roses Unlimited

oursteelers 8B PNW
6 months ago

Anyone ordering from them?

I ordered 6 to get the best deal on shipping since they are all the way across the country.

Cafe

Paul Bocuse

Versigny

Etrusca

Sans Souci

Stile 800

Comments (42)

• SoCalGardenNut
    6 months ago

I’m looking at Versigny, when do they start.

• Karen Service
    6 months ago

I order from them almost every year, even when I tell myself, "No more roses!". Usually I wait till I see how many didn't make it through last growing season. That said, they are very appealing for their variety, the health of their roses, the fact that they're fairly close so shipping is easier on the plants and it's likely that they'll grow for me. They've been a pleasure to work with.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I believe today was the first day since they website says taking orders in November but I don’t know for sure🤷🏻‍♀️

• berrypiez6b
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

oursteelers 8B PNW my Versigny from Pat did excellent it's first summer with big long lasting lion's mane blooms. Hope we don't have a really harsh winter. After I saw how well my two roses did, I was wishing I had ordered Style 800 and Antico Amore. I've wanted Cafe for years - we have like taste .Please let us know how yours do.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    6 months ago

berrypie, I will for sure! What did you think of Versigny’s fragrance?

• SoCalGardenNut
    6 months ago

I like Antico Amore, not sure i can come up with 4 more roses.

• berrypiez6b
    6 months ago

Versigny has a beautiful fragrance, certainly one of the best in my little garden ( just 14 roses ).

The scent wasn't real strong but easily detectable. It's hard to remember if the perfume was tea - definitely not old rose. At the moment my senses are confused, I'm trying to recover from using the new industrial strength Costco toothpaste I have to endure 3 more tubes of. In one of Straws posts she said Pat suggested Versigny for a rose with an excellent fragrance.

• berrypiez6b
    6 months ago

SoCalGardenNut I only bought 2 last year, Versigny and Heaven on Earth came to 102 with shipping. My new roses are averaging around fifty dollars each anyway so I figured to get rare roses from RU was worth the price of shipping, and they are exceptional.

• SoCalGardenNut
    6 months ago

Wow, that’s a lot of money for 2 roses, i bought a bunch of roses from RU but i dont remember they were pricey. where do they list the price for each rose.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    6 months ago

SoCal,

RU boxes roses in sets of 6, so if you get less than six plants, you pay almost the same shipping. For economy of scale , find 6 plants that you want to maximize discount . They have a great selection, so I don’t think it’s a hard task!

• SoCalGardenNut
    6 months ago

Ben, I'm in deep trouble, you are right, they have lots of roses that i like. How much do they charge for a rose, does anybody know?

• berrypiez6b
    6 months ago

SoCalGardenNut Every year I have a little trouble figuring it out. This is where I started to search All Roses

https://rosesunlimitedsc.com/2016/12/05/shrubs/

, it says 30 at the top of the page- looks like the price has gone up for Kordes. I dont see a price under the BROWSE Our Collections heading.

For my order last year the roses were reasonably priced , it was the shipping that was so expensive to get them to Idaho.

• SoCalGardenNut
    6 months ago

Thanks Berrypie, it‘s $30. I remember purchasing Alchemist from RU, it’s one of my favorite climbers. I like Dames de Chenonceau and Jacqueline du Pre so far.

Not all roses are $30, teas are $24.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    6 months ago

And I’m trying hard NOT to let myself order anything from them this year. I have seven on my list for a year now, but I think I will wait another year. This is my wish list:
    Etrusca
    Versigny
    Paul Bocuse
    Heaven on Earth
    Dames de Chenonceau
    Sonya Rykiel
    Papi Delbard
    I’ve already ordered plenty for this coming spring from other places and I’m trying to exercise restraint. :)

• berrypiez6b
    6 months ago

judijunebugarizonazn8 Heaven on Earth was way more wonderful than I anticipated. It changes shape and color with the weather and the blooms age, and some phases it looked much like an Austin. It was like getting a dozen roses I love rolled into one. Very good fragrance also.

• susan9santabarbara
    6 months ago

Last year I ordered six from RU. Hammered it down with Pat via email late Nov/early Dec, sent deposit check, got final bill in early Jan, sent check. Roses delivered late March. Six roses at $22 each (FLs and HTs), shipping to Calif $58, $5 handling = $195 total. Very happy with $32.50 per rose. I'm a long-time customer :-D

• SoCalGardenNut
    6 months ago

I think this year I'm skipping ordering from Palatine roses, i think their roses have these humongous roots that are too big. for my garden, and i already have AL. This is how i manage to get some roses from RU. I need to check out Heaven on Earth rose.

• SoCalGardenNut
    6 months ago

I like Touch of Venus, what a beauty, any information on this rose.

• SoCalGardenNut
    5 months ago

Here is my list that i sent to RU today

Versigny

Dames de Chenonceau

Etrusca

Antico Amore

Bella di Todi

Roberto Capucci

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I can’t wait to see what you think of Bella di Todi, I don’t have that one

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    5 months ago

Oh Berrypie, I should plug my ears and run away. :) Heaven on Earth sounds delicious.

• elenazone6
    5 months ago

I am with you folks! Sent an order to RU, thinking do I really need Palatine? Also ordered from DA and Regan's....

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    5 months ago

This year seems more zen. Last year it was super chaotic, all the places sold out almost instantly. Regan’s had almost all sold out the first day, although they did some restocking.

This year only a few sold out right away.

• The Rose Geek
    5 months ago

I showed some restraint and ordered Papi Delbard, Brass Band, Lavender Pinocchio , and Sonia Rykel.

• SoCalGardenNut
    5 months ago

I got my invoice back today, I decided not to order Betty White this year, but there are so many roses that i like.

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    5 months ago

Heaven on Earth I cannot recommend highly enough—my mom absolutely loves hers.

• susan9santabarbara
    5 months ago

Brass Band is a top fave. Mine is in the ground in the back yard and 20 years old, so I got a new one from RU last year as a back up. I had Lavender Pinocchio for many years and loved it, but I lost it a few years ago. I had Sonia Rykiel for a number of years, but gave it away in my great rose cull of 2007. I remember it fondly, and my friend loved it.

• The Rose Geek
    5 months ago

Susan, I saw Brass band while on a trip to California and it was amazing. I hope it performs well for us with humidity.

• susan9santabarbara
    5 months ago

Rose Geek, the only complaint I've heard about Brass Band is that some folks don't like that it holds onto its petals a long time, since they eventually fade to tan. Doesn't bother me, and if it did, I'd deadhead it :-D

• The Rose Geek
    5 months ago

Susan9SB, seriously , hanging onto the blooms too long sounds like a problem i want to have 😀

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    5 months ago

@oursteelers 8B PNW thanks for sounding the alarm on ordering from RU! I was able to place an order and get everything on my wishlist. Well, I limited myself to six, but I got my six top picks!

Here's who's coming in 2024!

Sonia Rykiel

Golden Zest

Bella di Todi

Versigny

Madame Anisette

Summer Sun

I'm feeling very orange/yellow rose this year after having a very mauve/wine ordering season last year. Do y'all tend to order by color by year?

I'm hoping these fragrant beauties are magnifiScent! I can't wait to share pics and report! I'm just concerned most with having a no-spray garden. We shall see who can pass the test and who gets donated. But right now I want to think of everyone staying perfectly healthy and blooming to no end!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    5 months ago

As space is rapidly dwindling my concern is getting those last roses that I’ve wanted that have eluded me. Super excited to get Paul Bocuse and Versigny. Really hoping to get Carmen Wurth (not calling it Adorable) from Palantine and always on the look out for Chandos Beauty and Chartreuse de Parme

• SoCalGardenNut
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Thanks @oursteelers 8B PNW for alerting us, I normally dont buy from RU, so this is excellent.

i have a question about Barni roses, are they good to plant in full sun. I’m thinking of moving the DA roses to a shadier area and putting these new roses in the very sunny area.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I would think they would prefer full sun since they can be a bit blackspot prone

• SoCalGardenNut
    5 months ago

If RU has Betty White I might order more roses from them, how much do they charge for extra roses.

What do people think of Cajun Moon? I need a few recommendations for Hybrid teas.

• strawchicago z5
    5 months ago

SoCalGardenNut

There's an outstanding orange/yellow color with many petals and best scent: HALLOWEEN, hardy to zone 7 sold by Roses Unlimited. A friend in Texas bought Halloween twice since it died in Texas freeze. Another friend/breeder in PA, zone 6 raved about his Halloween's scent and colors. Father Jerome in CA, Orange County, raved about HALLOWEEN's scent among his many Austin roses in the abbey.

See Halloween's pics in below link:

'Halloween' rose photos (helpmefind.com)

Another rose that people raved about the scent is Bambey. 'Bambey' Rose (helpmefind.com)

Al in Chicagoland, Hoovb in CA, and I rave about Peter Mayle's amazing eucalyptus and rose scent. Peter Mayle blooms best when it's over 90 F (hot & dry with alkaline tap-water). Peter Mayle doesn't occupy much space (very tall & narrow) and long-lasting in the vase.

Peter Mayle survives seven of my zone 5a winters, and over a decade for Al (also in zone 5). No bloom can be as big as Peter Mayle, and no rose can smell unique like Peter Mayle (eucalyptus and rose): Below shows the big bloom of Peter Mayle, the many petals small pink-bloom above is Parfum de Paris (honeysuckle scent):

Peter Mayle blooms best when it's over 90 F: hot & dry. It needs more sun than my garden can give.

• SoCalGardenNut
    5 months ago

Thanks @strawchicago z5, they replied, they dont have Betty White. so i might just add Sonia Rykiel or swap one out of my order, the problem is i like all of my roses, tough life i know, lol lol.

• SoCalGardenNut
    5 months ago

it’s $42 to add 1-2 roses, so this is my list so far, i either add 2 roses or remove one rose.

i think I'm adding Sonia Rykiel and Paul Bocuse, i don’t have room for 6 more.

• strawchicago z5
    5 months ago

SoCalGardenNut Dames de Chenonceau (floribunda) has more ratings since it's cold-hardy, but someone wasn't thrilled about its scent so I never buy it. Blooms have more petals and deeper pink color. Since it's a floribunda/shrub, it would have better bush-beauty. Kelly in zone 4 loved this rose, a non-stop bloomer. Cold-hardy roses have deep roots, thus more drought-tolerant.

Roberto Capucci is an Italian hybrid tea with LARGER blooms, but with less petals and much lighter in color. Fading to beige/white might be a problem with full sun.

• SoCalGardenNut
    5 months ago

Thanks @strawchicago z5, Paul Bocuse is not available so I asked Pat to replace Dames de Chenanceau for Sonia Rykiel, i just keep Roberto Capucci, i might put Roberto in less sunny area.

• strawchicago z5
    5 months ago

SoCalGardenNut I once got Francis Blaise from RU and it has bush beauty & lots of blooms but I could not stand its myrrh and green apple scent. Below pic. was taken in late Oct. when frost killed the tomato vines behind it. Francis Blaise looked good & very disease-resistant in late fall & got shaded, but I am never thrilled about lesser-myrrh scent.

Below pic. was taken in July where it competed easily with nearby tomatoes.