Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_370288243

Define this library/ dressing room?

2 years ago

Since our master bedroom is kinda small my husband keeps his clothes in the closet and dresser of this bedroom. We have a guest bedroom elsewhere and an office as well, so this room ended up with a bunch of bookshelves and random chairs. It's serving its purpose, I guess. It's fine. We don't want to tear down walls or anything just to make the master bedroom bigger. This is working. Can we just make it more... "intentional"? Inviting? A place you'd want to start your day? Not really looking to display the clothing or have a lot of built-ins...

Comments (18)

  • 2 years ago



  • 2 years ago

    I would make it more cozy, more textures. Drapes on the windows, put a comfortable reading chair with a throw on it and a nice side table to put his cup of coffee and read the morning news. Set up a coffee station with the coffee pot, mugs, etc maybe on a tray on the surface seen on the left. Put a standing mirror near the floor lamp to check his outfit before he heads out. Is he into hats? A hat stand would be fun.

    Add a second comfy chair and a wine fridge and it would be a nice place to end the day as well.

  • 2 years ago

    My husband used one of our bedrooms for this purpose too. You are way off to a better start than anything we ended up with!


    Does your husband like it as is or is he also wanting to change it a bit? Will he actually ever read in here or is the library part more about storing books?


    I’d paint it a nice color, get a bigger more handsome rug (Target is perfectly fine!), ditch the green pillows, hang the pictures lower. I’d go for a handsome moody color like an inky blue black on the walls. Get some wood woven blinds. I’d upgrade to a slightly nicer looking torch lamp.


    Classy manly look as the vibe. I wouldnt invest too much in the space as I suspect it is serving its function quite well already.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    To make this space look more intentional and cohesive, consider the following suggestions:


    1. Color Palette: Decide on a consistent color palette. The current room has a mix of earthy tones with the wood, and cool colors with the blue rug and green cushion. You might consider introducing neutral tones such as beige, taupe, or light gray.


    2. Furniture Arrangement:

    - Consider a symmetrical arrangement for balance. For instance, if you have two identical chairs, place them opposite each other or side by side with a small table in between.

    - If the room's primary function is for relaxation or reading, perhaps a cozy reading nook in one corner with a comfortable chair, a side table, and a floor lamp would be fitting.


    3. Rug:

    - The rug appears to have a modern pattern; consider switching it out for something more traditional or neutral if you're aiming for a cozy, classic look.

    - Ensure the rug is large enough to at least have the front legs of your furniture on it, which helps to anchor the space.


    4. Wall Decor:

    - Consider larger art pieces or a gallery wall that has a consistent theme or color palette.

    - The frames should ideally have a consistent color or style.


    5. Lighting: Replace the ceiling fan with a statement light fixture, like a chandelier or a modern pendant light, to serve as a focal point. Also, layer the lighting with a combination of floor lamps, table lamps, and possibly even wall sconces.


    6. Window Treatment:

    - Consider replacing the blinds with curtains that reach the floor to add softness to the space and make the windows appear larger.

    - If privacy is not an issue, sheer curtains can bring in a lot of light and add elegance.


    7. Add Texture: Introduce different textures with throw pillows, blankets, and decor items. This can include items made from wood, ceramics, metal, or soft fabrics.


    8. Greenery: Introduce indoor plants, either on the floor or on tabletops. They add life to a space and can serve as decorative pieces.

  • 2 years ago

    So first rule is don't mess with success if the room is getting well used and enjoyed. Looking at the photo, I'd indulge in a very nice area rug -- maybe round? one that is nice to bare feet. I'd also replace the floor lamp with one just as functional, but nicer. If the left chair is really comfy, I'd keep it or look for a new one in the exact same style (since this one looks worn). And whatever rug you get, I'd add throw pillows that compliment it.


    Based on your description, I'd enjoy having a shoe cabinet and a nice big ottoman inside the space. A full length mirror.


    For decor, I'm going to assume you don't want to paint. I'd move those framed prints over to the left side of the chairs, and hang them at eye level. I don't like Roman shades, but I'm okay with curtains if you feel a need for them. Depends on what rug you get.



  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Where is the space in connection to the bedroom. I have used spare rooms for dressing rooms a few times it works great but they never had books and a chairs other than maybe one . If you want touse this space where will you put the stuff in there now? It needs to have some thought put into what you want. I like my clothes where I can see them and I also like drawers for many things that do not need hangers. I use garment bags for clothes we wear less often and just alabel the bag since they hold at least 4 things usually. I would look at much better lighting for sure and some kind of blind on the window if it faces where you can be seen I love my window in my walk in claset . Sit down and figure out what you need in the space then plan for that. I have many shoes so shoe storage a big deal. A well designed dressing room is a fabulous addition to a bedroom

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    So certainly not all these or any of these in combination, and I don't know your room measurements or tastes (what's in the bedroom?), but if you aren't going to paint or buy $$$$$ in new furniture, here are some ideas









    Safavieh Thin Striped Looped Pillow, 20"x20" · More Info








  • 2 years ago

    Wow thanks everyone!


    Kendrah, you get it. Glad I'm not alone and out of curiosity: how do you refer to the room? No, he probably won't read in here and the chairs are mostly used for draping clothes on. We probably won't paint, but I can at least envision an inky blue black for inspiration. The blinds are actually like fake wood look vinyl, maybe I can pretend they were intentional??


    Jenny, if the chairs were ever to be sat in, I love the idea of a coffee station and wine bar. (But then he might drink without me!)


    WSA,

    So much amazing advice here but what makes me see you are a professional is that a lot of people mentioned the rug, and while I believe them in theory, I didn't really see anything wrong with our rug until you explained it. Now I realize this will probably be the thing to go the farthest to correct the "meh" vibe and "anchor" the space.


    mytwo,

    At one point I considered trying to get the left chair reupholstered, but I struggled finding a resource. It's just an ikea chair. (We're in the western suburbs of Denver if anyone has a recommendation). Also thanks for the visuals. Helpful with color inspiration. Did you have a different lamp photo at first? Any ceiling fixture ideas?


    Patricia,

    The room is just across the hall from the bedroom. Unfortunately that's where the books are going to live. Calling it a dressing room probably made you think we're fancier than we actually are. My husband has one pair of work shoes and doesn't put much thought into which button down he will wear with which black pants. ☺️


    So general consensus on curtains (I'll try! 😥) pillows/ blankets (they won't be used but I do see the point) wall decor (clearly I have no sense of arrangement. A full mirror will work well as decoration.)


    Ok one more thing: would an old school wooden stepladder leaning somewhere be crazy?

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    You might be able to buy a new slipcover for your IKEA chair online, but color choices will be limited. You can do google searches for other vendors of slipcovers

    https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/tullsta-chair-cover-lofallet-beige-80410338/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping_feed&utm_content=free_google_shopping_clicks_Living_room_seating&region_id=988492274227635562514691135418307587015&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw15eqBhBZEiwAbDomEuJ6WgIeKz4UEz5kjtJzNSXPykGZ1wyKf9OowcI4K4OfHZwluGNaixoCgsoQAvD_BwE

    I did initially post a different lamp to this thread and here it is. I took it down because I thought it was rather expensive to hide away in a corner, maybe too big and also am not sure lighting up the ceiling with a uplight torch is the best idea, since you have an overhead fixture anyway

    https://www.cb2.com/pavo-champagne-brass-double-floor-lamp/s590075?localedetail=US?a=501&campaignid=10363910345&adgroupid=103409810539&targetid=pla-1654842379411&pla_sku=590075&pcat=HSW&scid=scplp590075&sc_intid=590075&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw15eqBhBZEiwAbDomEr2IU9QiBHuRyBA_8sHgoGyxknn8D8nomk68CFjhKTgllpPlqkGSgRoCkNIQAvD_BwE

    I'm really on the fence about ceiling fans. Aesthetically they are problematic but given what we are facing with climate change they are optimal accessories for dealing with heat and biting bugs, and even virus pathogens (circulating air upward is protective). There are snazzier looking ones that don't break the bank, but if you have other ways of ventlating the room and the fan is truly superfluous or doesn't get used, I think I would wait until you make your other decor choices before deciding if maybe you want a relaxed ceiling fixture, like a rattan pendant, or want some sparkle, or want something noticeably contemporary




    Bottom line for me on ceiling fixtures is that they don't have bowls that collect dust and bugs and need to be taken down with a ladder to be cleaned (feather duster cleaning).


    To me the bottom line overall is that this is a room that hardly any one but your and your famly will see so you can have as much fun or spend as little money as you like. It should be easy to pull it together once you settle on a plan.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    So obviously you are not going redecorate like any of these rooms except that if you aren't painting your yellow walls I think these photos show some possible color choices for fabrics and rugs, what goes with what to create what kind of feeling









    I think the 3rd photo I posted shows how if you had a beige slipcover for your IKEA chair, some cranberry throw pillows, maybe some storage baskets instead of the chest in between the chairs, weathered-look wood gray blinds and a natural fiber rug the room would be well on its way to having a coherent look. Add a rustic bird atop one of the dressers?



    ;)

    https://www.chairish.com/product/12007006/vintage-reed-and-rush-goose

    But you might pick a different inspiration photo with aquas and whites, or sage and brown

  • 2 years ago

    As a place to start the day, do you/your husband want a coffee/beverage set-up, a full length mirror, an ottoman, small table, electronics (tv, music, phone charging station), more lighting, larger art, etc.?

    Is there adequate closet space and shoe storage?

  • 2 years ago

    So what will probably happen is when we redecorate our living room this rug will get demoted back there. It's at least large enough that it will go under the front legs of the furniture like WSA was saying.

    I feel silly for not knowing how easy the slipcover thing is. Eying this one...
    https://www.amazon.com/MIFXIN-Slipcovers-Removable-Washable-Decorative/dp/B089DVX94G?


  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    It's across the hall from your master bedroom. He's not fancy, maybe you're not either.

    But....... you asked......: )

    Why wouldn't you paint if you found a great rug? What's the size of the room?

    "It's just random furniture".........okay, that's WHY you don't like it , in part!

    Which of two dressers is he actually using? Both?

    You need the books? They're reference? Novels you will read again?

    Would he like a tv and chair in there? What if it was a sitting room before bedtime, that you shared?

    What if it had a simple to build 6 foot closet, two comfy chairs, and an ottoman and a tv over the dresser? A great rug?

    A little effort in , can be a lot of result without a lot of money: ) Just sayin, you pass by every morning.

  • 2 years ago

    What about a cool stereo speaker?

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Paint it cozy!

    Everything out, except the large dresser

    Add a fire: )

    Go to Home Sense, find a couple swivel chairs

    Upgrade the shades




    Some chairs!








    Plug it in!




    Add art.......

  • 2 years ago

    Jan!! That rug!!! 😍 Maybe we will paint with a rug that great!!!! Can you send me the source?

    Plug in fireplace is interesting. Maybe we will be fancy after all (just not his clothes which we do have plenty of space for).

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    "Maybe we will be fancy after all ".....

    Or casual or cozy or or or.

    Rooms are no different than the life within. You make it, or you throw your hands up and settle for less. You'd do that......why? : )

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County