Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anninaustin

Large Quality Sofa Recommendation

anninaustin
5 months ago

I'm looking for a large (10'+ sofa or 13'+ sectional), deep seat, quality sofa. Any manufacturer, retailers that you'd recommend?

Comments (24)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 months ago

A 10ft. sofa will mean it's modular since retailers always have to be concerned the items they sell can actually be delivered to homes. This one from Crate & Barrel.

These below from Living Spaces. Arhaus is also an option.

• anninaustin
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you! I have been to living Spaces and online shopping at Crate and Barrel. I will check Arhaus. Ive seen 10' at RH but $$$$$

• Mrs. Beasley
    5 months ago

Check the reviews on the sites you’re looking at. We were looking at some sofas at $$$$$$ DWR, and had some poor reviews regarding quality, durability etc. Same with crate and barrel. I heard that RH sofas are made in NC, so that’s a good thing.

• Denise Marchand
    5 months ago

What style are you looking for?

For modern high end seating, look at Armani Casa, B&B Italia, Minotti. For a custom high end custom sofa, find a well respected recommended interior designer in your area. They will know furniture artisans who make hand made sofas, hand sprung and down wrapped cushions in any particular size you need. They can also guide you towards the right fabrics. This is a piece you will have forever, made in the U.S. and not from China.

An investment sofa and furnishings is worth the time and money to hire a designer.

• Denise Marchand
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

For ideas, also look at Restoration Hardware RH. The only concern I have is the quality in the past few years. There are not many retailers I would recommend as most are focused on the general buying public and by the look of your home, it's not your vibe.

• elcieg
    5 months ago

Agree with Patricia's assessment of sectional.

Idea:

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    5 months ago

All my kids have had great luck with Room and Board. One has a large 3-seater sofa which runs about $3k. They’ve all held up over 7+ years and a recent purchase last month seems to indicate continued good quality. On the cheaper end, I have a small Living Spaces sectional sofa ($895 last year) shown by Beverly and my daughter has a larger version. For the money, the quality is excellent. It’s comfy too. I personally have decided I don’t want to spend a lot on furniture right now, and especially upholstered pieces. I like to change things up, so for the money, Living Spaces has some decent choices.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 months ago

Lots of retailers get their seating in NC, Arhous, Crate & Barrel, CB2, Pottery Barn, West Elm, WS Home, and Ballard Design. However, like with everything there are different levels of craftmanship & different specifications. There are lots of upholstery shops along the West Coast that employ Hispanic craftsmen. You're in the center of the country, so your retailers will have pulled from both coasts.

• Kendrah
    5 months ago

Many companies make sofas in the US, specifically NC. Some are great quality and some are shlock. A sales person at Room and Board told me there sofas are made to last 7 years, as though that was a good thing. Some brands that were tried and true now are not - RH, Rowe. I think the best sofa you can get for your money is one made before 1990 that you have reupholstered. It will not be any less expensive than a new sofa but will last forever and when you want a change, you can just get new fabric.

• dan1888
    5 months ago

Hardwood frame and latex foam cushions are worth looking into. Pocketed spring seat cushions are longer lasting than poly foam. Here's past discussion. Is using natural latex foam for sofa seat cushions going overboard? (houzz.com)

If you find a product with the right specs but without latex, the cushions can be replaced.

Donato 3pc Sectional – Cisco Home

Fill options- Inside Green Fill – Cisco Home

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 months ago

For my money, I think Crate & Barrel makes the highest quality sofas for the price. Any sofa that large will be an investment. They also have a nice selection of upgrade fabrics and you can also upgrade the filling. I would also look at furniture retailers that carry Lee Industries upholstery.. Another great mid-priced manufacturer.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    5 months ago

I have a very large living/ family room (26x35) and I have two full size couches. Plus a big man size recliner (🙄) and 3 other armchairs. Much much more versatile than a sectional.

• deegw
    5 months ago

I like the look of two full-size sofas in a room. It seems that sectionals are the default for most family rooms, I think it's more stylish to do something a little different. The seating will still be versatile and you'll have more room for accent tables and lamps

• mwenger
    5 months ago

Have you worked with a designer? Pricey, but I’d recommend a custom sofa or two from NC manufacturer. I have a Wesley Hall from 2005 that still looks and feels new.

• chispa
    5 months ago

Cisco furniture has standard pieces, but will also customize size and fabric. I have owned 3 sofas, 4 chairs and a bed from them. Bought 12 years ago. I used to live near one of their showrooms, but they also sell through other furniture stores around the country. Family owned and Made in the USA.

https://ciscohome.net/

• chispa
    5 months ago

I also had a large sectional from Century Furniture, which wore well too. We were able to customize the size for an exact fit in the room. Got rid of it after 11 years as it didn't work in our new house.

I also prefer going with 2 sofas and and 2 chairs, instead of a sectional.

• Denise Marchand
    5 months ago

Century Furniture is definitely a great source from chispa.

From personal experience, I found Arhaus lead time is extraordinarily long and their customer service has a lot to be desired.

Crate + Barrel also is not a company I would recommend. I had a sofa and during company the seat cushions fell through. When we turned it over to see what happened, the base was just a box, no structure.

I tell my clients that if they have a sofa that works in the design, to have it reupholstered. It ends up using only the frame, but was made well and not like the items made today. As Kendrah pointed out, companies think all furniture is throw away after 6-7 years, even though the price is up there.

Another suggestion is designer showrooms are always changing the floor samples. You might want to look around depending on your location.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 months ago

I have owned Italian made furniture for ever our last sofa and 2 chairs went to our son for his media room it is 40 yrs old and all he did to make it a bit nicer for seating is he replaced the floam in the cushions it has Perelli webbing for the support and honeastly with the new foam sits exactly like it did when we bough it new.We now have 4 sofas and 2 chairs, 2 sofas in the media room and the rest in a large living room I love that I can move pieces at Christmas for the tree and when we have a crowd it is easy to pop in a couple of extra chairs that we have in bedrooms . All are leather and are 16 yrs old and still look awesome . None of these pieces were cheap but I do not buy furniture to change it all the time so IMO spend once and love what you buy.

• deegw
    5 months ago

These suggestions are a good starting point but companies that made decent things even just a few years ago could easily take a turn for the worse. Mitchell Gold is a recent example. Take the suggestions with a grain of salt and do your homework.

• Denise Marchand
    5 months ago

I also have Italian sofas that are about that age and are being used by my son! Those Italians know how to make furniture. Costly but worth every penny.

• PRO
    HomeScapes Home Staging San Diego
    5 months ago

A lot will depend on how much you want to spend. We've found that Living Spaces has some great quality sofas for a good price. Ordering in stock items has been easy but special orders have not been great on delivery times. I have liked a few at Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn but never ordered from them.

• Carly
    5 months ago

Best, most comfortable sofa we ever owned…Stanton International.

• Allison0704
    5 months ago

Century is a good choice, as is Sherrill.

The better sofas/sectionals at few of the stores listed (C&B for one) have them made by Rowe Furniture. Go to Rowe's website HERE and find who sell them locally to you. My sister purchased a sectional by Rowe for her second home. DD2 just purchased a sofa w/chaise for her LR, different state. Both of so comfortable. You can get upholstered or slipcovered. Sectionals come in many variations, customized for your needs. Go for the better line by Rowe (not Robin Bruce, their lower quality items). Cushion options vary depending on chosen style.

Do not do what I did. Special ordered a Verellen sofa for our last house with COM. The slipcover moved so much and the cushions are so heavy (down filled), I was eventually going to hurt myself adjusting. So I went to a local store after we moved to replace. The Rowe was special order (6-8 weeks out) and the otehr store had a sofa on the floor that was "good enough." It has not lasted a year. I am about to order a Rowe sofa.