Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

What do you know about First Dibs?

mtnrdredux_gw
5 months ago

I have bought stuff through them several years back, one-of-a-kind type things. Compares to Chairish et al they are not exactly known for bargains.

What does the seller pay 1stDibs? Does it make more sense to just contact the seller directly?

Comments (12)

• Fun2BHere
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Check out the one and two star reviews on TrustPilot and Sitejabber. Do a search for the exact same item on other selling sites. I don’t know how their profit sharing works, but according to reviews from both sellers and buyers, their customer service has taken a nosedive in quality in the last year.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Fun2BHere
  • Allison0704
    5 months ago

I always do a screenshot of the item, then a Google image search. You can also find the seller name by starting to send a message or putting item in cart (it's one or the other). I just bought another ring and ended up buying directly via 1st dibs when it was priced the same on her website. It is a new item, not used. But in the past, I have found vintage items for less on their website vs 1st dibs.

I do not know fee percentage paid by seller.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Allison0704
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I've seen it on three sites, and oddly, it is the lowest on First Dibs. The seller also has their own site but it doesn't have all of their inventory on it.

• palimpsest
    5 months ago

1st Dibs pricing has driven up pricing everywhere from Chairish to eBay to Facebook Marketplace. Asking price is not determined in a vacuum. The very few things we've gotten from 1st dibs were purchased at less than list price after some negotiations. And sometimes watching it sit. I will wait a long time. I am still thinking about things after you have finished.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked palimpsest
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    5 months ago

Many sellers are on both 1st Dibbs and Chairish. I can’t remember for sure, but think our chairs were through them. The seller was Maison Gerard in NYC.

Adding that multiple sites gives them a larger audience and, in our case, an outlet to sell stuff they wouldnt put in the store.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Allison0704
    5 months ago

Also, if you favorite something, you almost always get an offer/discount from seller. If not, I will send a message to get negotiations underway.

My one and only Chairish transaction did not go well. Waited and waited on a chandelier, then they finally said it was unavaiable. Took too long IMO for this info and my refund.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Allison0704
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Well, lo and behold! The seller marked it down 20%.

Then, I put in a bid for a third off of that...and... it's mine. I expected a little back and forth so was pretty happy.

So I have my table bling for the sunroom, now I just need a sunroom. Or maybe for them to start on it? I have been so spoiled in CT, having access to a great crew who pretty always much fit us in right away. My Maine people won't even start the design phase until Spring.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    5 months ago

Excellent! Did I miss the post about what you got?

• Funkyart
    5 months ago

Wow-- that worked out well!

And so pretty!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    5 months ago

Oooh, love it!

• pricklypearcactus
    5 months ago

Love the table!

I used Chairish for the first time last winter to buy a vintage settee / bench for my front entry. I can't recall what I bid on the item, but the seller accepted and the shipping went very smoothly. I think I recently heard that the same investment that acquired my company (about a year ago) also acquired Chairish. Strange world.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked pricklypearcactus