Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_79221690

Master bedroom/bathroom remodel

2 years ago

Looking for some ideas/inspiration/tips on a master bedroom and bathroom remodel.
My husband and I are renovating our farmhouse built in 1880. The walls are short, ceiling is slanted… doesn’t allow for a “easy” design. The bathroom is smaller and with the short walls the layout really needs to stay as is.

I have attached a few photos. The outside walls of the room on the left and right are only about 5.5’ high, and the wall with the window is about 7’ high…
Here’s my dilemma..
Prior to demo the room had a walk in closet. It was a very small, 1 wall, wire shelving hanging situation. Approx 4’ wide and 8’ long. It held all of my clothing plus towels and stuff for the bathroom.
After demoing the walls for the closet the room feels SO huge and spacious. I am considering doing built in cabinets vs a closet but am so unsure of the practicality of it. My husband has a large dresser he uses and I prefer my tops and jeans to be hung. I would also like to incorporate hanging our tv in the system if possible. I have a king bed which also takes up a lot of the space that I’m not willing to give up 😂

Can you guys give me some tips, ideas, or actual photos of your similar situations/closets? What I am finding on Pinterest is very.. “glamorous”. I am a very simple person and am on a Home Depot/Menards budget 😂

Comments (8)

  • 2 years ago

    Please upload a new floor plan with measurements.

  • 2 years ago

    Here are a couple of inspiration photos for sloped ceiling bedrooms.

    Kids Bedroom · More Info



    Angled Roofline Walkin Closet · More Info


  • 2 years ago

    If you put the bed on the bathroom wall, it will be warmer than under the windows.


    This is the perfect time to add insulation.


    I hope you have tested for lead paint and decided how to deal with it safely.

  • 2 years ago

    Without proper scale, it's hard to know, but my first thought is to swap the vanity and bathroom doors, rather than go through the closet to get to the bathroom. A reach-in closet would be more practical, and give a couple of feet back to the bedroom. If you take apple pie's suggestion about the bed to the interior wall, you can put a reach-in closet on the left wall, the dressers on the window wall.

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you! It is approx 15x15 and there isn’t enough space to swap bed walls because of the doors for entry and bathroom. We have a king bed and it’s quite bulky. :(
    I also considered switching door and vanity but the bathroom wall is sloped also and the vanity can’t fit long ways on the same wall as the door. Gotta love old farmhouses?!
    I did start a new thread as I didn’t see these comments until today. Any ideas you can comment on either.

  • 2 years ago

    One point of confusion -- your current bathroom frame doesn't appear to go to the window wall -- is there a hallway down there, or is that where the tunnel closet was?


    But for sure, need measurements. As drawn, it looks like there's not enough room to walk at the end of the bed...

  • 2 years ago

    Other side of the vanity and tub corner is a hallway and that leads to my stairway.

  • 2 years ago

    You can do much better than this plan. As I understand it, the back wall of the open framed area is coming down to accomidate the bathroom. If so, bathroom door should be as soon as you walk in the room to the left. Configuration of the bathroom depends on the measurements, but just for now, move the vanity where the door was going to be. As is, there is a lot of wasted space in the bathroom. You might be able to pick up a foot or so for the closet. I would build or use prefab closets with drawers on the bottom so you can eliminate the corner dresser. Two choices for the tv. Hang on wall with a articulating arm. Or, if you build in the closets, the middle section can be solid with no doors, attach the tv there, then on each side can be a reach in with drawers underneath. In the harder to reach area you can put winter coats, etc.