Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robindenver16

Is there anything I can do to tone down this granite?

robindenver16
3 months ago

We bought this house and I feel like there is too much going on with the kitchen finishes, but granite is expensive so I'm curious if there are any good suggestions for ways we can tone down the busyness of the countertop. Would changing the backsplash make any difference? Painting the cabinets? Thanks for any suggestions!

(sorry for the odd look of the photo - i think it was taken from a video tour)

Comments (69)

• Kendrah
    3 months ago

The solution you came up with in the visualizer is spot on. It might look stark now but won’t once you are actively living there.

• drdeb1234
    3 months ago

Agree about the backsplash. But as much as I prefer stainless steel to black appliances, I’m not sure I would rush to replace appliances that are working perfectly well. You can while away a lot of time here on houzz reading threads about appliance lemons, including high end ones. It seems like buying new appliances (especially ovens) is a total crapshoot!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

That backsplash has to go . As for painting the cabinets may advice on that is do you love everything about the layout and the style of the cabinets ? It is almost as much to have those painted as to having new ones . I alsways advise living in the space for at least 3-6 months before doing any real changes .I need to see the whole space with pics not distorted then at least we can see how the layout works for a well designed kitchen. Spending any money for a kitchen not functioning for you is a huge waste. I like that the floors are wood, I happen to like the granite it has some life to it compared to fake quartz. We have n idea of your style or budget . Many tings need answers like the appliances , are thye great or need replacing ? Post the other pics here in a comment DO NOT start another post on this space . Waht is would do right now it remove the backspalsh have the drywall repaired and thats it .

• partim
    3 months ago

If you just moved in, there are probably lots of demands on your budget, so do the easy thing and paint the tiles. Search Google for "painting backsplash tiles" to see many how-tos. You paint right over the tiles and grout.

It's a small area so much less cost and effort compared to other painting jobs. Later on if you want, you can remove the painted tiles as easily as your currently unpainted ones.

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

If money is tight, paint the backsplash. Then change the hardware to black and save for a new backsplash.

If there’s a little money, demo and replace the backsplash with a color that matches the background of the granite. Change the hardware to black.

If you win the lottery, let us know.

Don’t replace appliances that work. Work with the black appliances and your nice countertop. You have the right idea for a backsplash tile, but if that is the next step, repost close ups of the granite. You will get good suggestions for the tiles. Whatever you pick, the grout should match in order to avoid another busy backsplash.

• partim
    3 months ago

If money is really tight, remove and spray paint the hardware.

• Maureen
    3 months ago

Vs with cream colored tile and cream grout.

Then…add black hardware (buy in bulk) to tie in the appliances and a black pendant as per above and even a vinyl mat.

If interested, add a shelf for plants,

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

@Maureen - Yes to the bulk handle idea. Those packages are very economical and look good, too!

And @partim - I’ve spray painted hardware and it definitely works when done right (i.e. paint gesso on first to help adhere the spray paint). I’m surprised more of us don’t make the suggestion.

• Kathy Furt
    3 months ago

Painting the cabinets rhite dove and maybe xgsnegeviut bsvk spkdhxmuchvesiser dnd cheaper than switching out grsbite

• Kathy Furt
    3 months ago

Anutrsl subway tile or e cuter color bbssjetwesve diukd look micr

• jeannie_sang
    3 months ago

Agree w all: change to neutral backsplash tile. I’d also take the backsplash to the ceiling to add visual height.
    I like the granite,it gives the kitchen life. Agree w changing the hardware.

• Sarah Paschke
    3 months ago

No backplash is needed just use a good semigloss paint you can wash its a very minimal look and an easy cheap fix for you problem leaving extre money for new applianes

• Toni McCormick
    3 months ago

Agree w others about backsplash --- what if you STAINED the cabinets a different brown--similar to what Roybrown posted? Would that be more or less work than painting them?

• doods
    3 months ago

I agree with Sarah, we do not have a backsplash in our small kitchen. 10 years now with just a pearlgloss paint, no problems whatsoever. Our home is a small open concept kitchen dining and living room. I feel no backsplash tighes the whole area together better.

• Toni McCormick
    3 months ago

@ Patricia Colwell Consulting --one issue I NEVER see posted is the cost of re-veneering good cabinets vs. replacing cabinet fronts/painting etc. 34 years ago we had inexpensive Formica type product applied to the hideous cabinets in our newly purchased home until we could afford to it. I'd love to see other options than just painting, replacing cabinet fronts etc. Our current cabinets are in great shape except for the door fronts.

• nolanirvana
    3 months ago

I agree with previous comments. The problem is not the granite, but the time backsplash . I would not make any major changes until you have lived in the house several months to see how the space functions. For right now, you can either paint or remove the backsplash. If you remove it, i would just have the painter come in and patch the sheetrock and paint the wall. No need to rush into picking a new backsplash. It is also easy and fairly inexpensive to replace the door hardware. You can also add a rug in the kitchen to bring in some color. When the appliances need replacing get stainless steel. It looks like a great space. Good luck.

• toudie
    3 months ago

I was told that it was cheaper to reface cabinets aand drawers than to paint them. A lot of work goes into the painting.

• toudie
    3 months ago

I was told that it is cheaper to reface cabinets and drawers rather than paint them. Lots of work to repaint.

• Corinne Koftinoff
    3 months ago

Has anyone tried the peel and stick backsplash tiles? Would this be a cost effective solution for now?

• P3smom
    3 months ago

@Corinne Koftinoff Yes, I used them to create a backsplash in a little condo that I lived in a few years ago. I was a renter, and didn't want to make the investment in real tiles. I had maple cabinets and dark granite (dark browns and blacks) countertops. The walls were sage green, so I used a tile that had green, brown, ivory and beige. I had my handyman install them, and they created a nice mosaic pattern around the stove and a counter on the other side. They really gave a different look to the kitchen, and I was quite happy with it when it was complete. I won't say they looked like real tiles, but they did the trick to give the kitchen a little bit more color and pattern. I put black hardware on the cabinets, and hung a black pendant over the sink. It made such a big difference. The stick-on tiles are not exactly cheap, but certainly more cost-effective than real ones and all the labor, prep and equipment to install them. And they come in lots of different colors. I say go for it!!

• Laura
    3 months ago

I used peel and stick tile in our condo as well. They have held up really well. I chose a simple pattern but it elevated the kitchen just a tad and I was very happy with the results. I found the tiles on Amazon…STICKGOO 10-Sheet Peel and Stick Subway Tile.

• Leslie Polson
    3 months ago

I would get some neutral peel and stick wallpaper and tone down the contrast between the granite counter and the wall. Number two I would re-face the cabinet doors. What I did in my house as I cut out the center where it’s it’s raised and I put glass in it. The glass Was a good solution because I able to get nice patterns. I use safety glass from a window place and they have a variety of styles. It made my kitchen very stylish. Number two I am a believer in contrast cabinet, so I usually do white and black, but I’ve also seen yellowand white work well or green and white I would get rid of the wood look because it just does not match your granite countertops. I am also a fan of glass knobs which I get from antique stores or Van Dykes.

• Bob Andersen
    3 months ago

I agree about replacing the backsplash. If you replace the backsplash, you’ll have the opportunity to add a pot filler over the stove. Good Luck

• Cathy B
    3 months ago

For visual relief of similar stain on wood floor and hickory cabinets - my designer suggested a runner rug in front of the kitchen sink area. I picked a vinyl one from V-Mats, in a pattern/colors that most complimented my granite countertop. Much less cost and bother than getting the floor redone! Another suggestion - while most of our kitchen is painted in SW Sea Salt, it was suggested to paint a few areas above the granite in SW Wall Street. It was chosen to compliment the dark tones in the granite. FYI, our kitchen came with a white laminate countertop. Once three appliances needed repair/replacement, we also replaced the laminate with the new granite counters. Also should change the hardware - maybe this year! In a former house, I painted the cabinets - let's just say by the time we sold the house, the cabinets were chipped and needed painting again. Not doing that again! Much better to enhance in other ways.

• kathyrn_stephens
    3 months ago

I agree that the backsplash is the main problem. I would also suggest painting the window frame a neutral color for a quick update.

• realtortsheaffer
    3 months ago

The stark white walls are also making the backsplash tile stand out and making everything busier. Choosing a color from the granite and painting just the walls would make a huge difference.

• suzytx55
    3 months ago

I think the color in your visualizer for the backsplash is much too light. Check Maureen post - her choices, especially for the creamier backsplash, are the best!

• terrib962
    3 months ago

Start by painting the cabinets a white or almost white - not white white. And get tradtional white appliances - black and stainless are so ugly.

• terrib962
    3 months ago

@ Patricia Colwell Consulting - painting the cabinets would be $50-100 for ONE gallon of paint + a paint brush - EASY DIY!!! They need to be painted.

• HU-428048017
    3 months ago

Paint the cabinets to match one of the shades from the counter/backsplash. It will unify the space and mute the visual cacaphony. You could also update the handles to a more modern design.

• HU-267503144
    3 months ago

I’d take away the backsplash, replace with neutral tiles then paint the floor the same colour.

• Lizzy L.
    3 months ago

The backsplash is too busy. It needs to be a single very light color simple tile with a grout that blends in.

• Wendy Foster
    3 months ago

Backsplash Definately needs to go

• judijennings
    3 months ago

Paint cabinets in a light tone picked from the counter tops. Remove backsplash tile and replace with quiet tile. If too expensive, just paint wall after removal. If can afford, replace black appliances with a white, or neutral toned appliances. Too much going on

Pick one element to shine, subdue rest of the remaining element's, as budget allows.

• thinkdesignlive
    3 months ago

Absolutely no to any white cabinets with this granite. It will only make the granite look even more dated. And another absolute no to white appliances in this instance. Stainless or black works with their counter.

https://mariakillam.com/will-white-kitchen-work-with-existing-granite-countertop/

• C Dyer
    3 months ago

Although they are not the white that most people favor today, the wood cabinets go well with the granite. Changing cabinets whether by painting or refacing is expensive. Changing the backslash would make the most impact for the least expense. If you don't want to remove it, then I like the idea of peel-and-stick tile overlay for now. If you remove the backslash you have several replacement options including painted wall, wallpaper, or tile. Would love some "after" photos to see what you decided to do.

• realtortsheaffer
    3 months ago

Everything I have read recently says the trend is AWAY from white cabinets and toward natural materials, like the wood cabinets and floor that you already have. I would shy away from painting wood if it’s natural/solid and not veneer. Just my opinion. I believe more people appreciate real wood grain than we as consumers are led to believe, based on my real people experience, not the companies who profit from what we are influenced to spend $ on.
    Bottom line is that the solution to your original question is likely the backsplash and wall color, short of completely renovating your kitchen to YOUR “dream kitchen” taste.

• triplecitizen
    3 months ago

Don’t worry about what is trending now. If the cabinets are solid good quality wood other cosmetic changes are more cost effective, and if you wait a bit it will be all about wood again. The backsplash is the “fist in the eye” and can be rectified with the least mess and expense. Find something you love to replace it, live with it a bit and then go from there. Unless money is no object there are more important things than keeping up with what is currently in style.

• PRO
    Colour Consulting by Leanne
    3 months ago

You have a nice kitchen, it just needs a slight update to make everything look cohesive and pulled together. Like many have already indicated, it’s the ceramic backsplash that’s killing this design look. If budgeting is a problem, you could paint over the ceramic tiles with a similar colour used on the kitchen walls. There is a Rustroleum product that could do the job. Also, if these cabinets are real solid wood, for now leave them and don’t paint. Give them a good cleaning with TSP to remove any grease to brighten them up and look new again.

One last suggestion if you want to splurge, try looking at some new hardware for the cabinets in polished nickel. This slight update will also greatly improve the overall look of your kitchen.

Good luck!

• Lori Rikaed
    3 months ago

Back splash has to go. Paint the window frame black, replace hardware for cabinets for black.
    Paint the walls.

• robindenver16
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks to everyone for your feedback! It gave me the confidence to take a few small steps forward! Here's where we are today: switched out the handles for oil rubbed bronze, new stainless dishwasher, and finally painted the backsplash! I'm very happy with how it looks- so much better! 😁

• kl23
    3 months ago

Another option for other people with bold granite is to use bold colors on the walls. Try an app that allows you to test different colors. Sherwin Williams has Color Snap. This photo was hard to work with because of the shadows, and the other was hard because of the fisheye lense. But I tried several bold colors and they enriched both the wood and the counter. The ultimate choice would depend on the whole-house color palette. My favorite was a dark teal, Moscow Midnight.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 months ago

Wow, what a difference! So much easier than ripping out the backsplash and installing a new one.

I also like the ORB hardware.

But what is on the floor?

• robindenver16
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I'm super happy with the paint solution for now. If it doesn't wear well (or probably eventually anyway) we'll replace it with tile we like, but for now it really brightens and calms the kitchen for me. On the floor: that's just a cheap wal-mart area rug that I put down to protect the hardwood while I try to find something I like. And an anti-fatigue mat in front of the kitchen sink. Happy to take suggestions if you have any for what to put there! I like the hardwood in the kitchen but I've never had it before and I'm nervous about it getting damaged.

• vinmarks
    3 months ago

I think that was a great solution. Looks so much better.

I have had hardwood floors in the kitchen of several houses and it has been fine.

• triplecitizen
    3 months ago

We had hardwood floors put in our kitchen when we built 32 years ago and have never regretted it. Easy maintenance plus more comfortable for your back and feet than standing on tile for extended periods.

• sarah_cavazos74
    3 months ago

Paint the window frame to match the wall and perhaps remove that single cabinet adjacent to the window. Replace it with open shelves. We have had wood floors in the kitchen in several homes with no issues, too. A bright round rug may work.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 months ago

Wood floors in the kitchen is very attractive and practical. I've had sheet vinyl, ceramic tile and laminate, and wood is by far the best. Clean it with Bona floor cleaning products--easy and leaves no residue. Dries very fast.

robindenver16 thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • RedRyder
    3 months ago

The painted backsplash looks terrific. It won’t be that hard to keep clean if you used anything but a flat matte finish. Great decision.

Wood floors are the best. When I refaced my kitchen I continued my wood floor into the kitchen. Much better on your back. And I have a rug along the sink/dishwasher side. It’s pretty long and I like having it there.

Have you checked out Ruggables.com? They have a ton of colors and patterns and are washable.

• kl23
    3 months ago

@Red Ryder thanks for the link to Ruggables. A kitchen rug that can be washed at home in my own machine! Amazing! What a great choice for a kitchen or entry! Have you bought and washed one of these rugs? Any tips?