Software
Houzz Logo Print
cathyt64

Kitchen countertop stone material

2 years ago

Has anyone used the stone material Dolomite? Looking to potentially use for kitchen countertops and want understand durability from actual use. Marble is not an option because of durability, so looking at other options and ran across this. Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments (12)

  • 2 years ago

    According to this website, dolomite is LESS hard than marble. It is close to marble in durability. A few people had luck using it in bathrooms, but lots of woes when using it in kitchens, see the second link.

    https://signaturekitchens.com/blog/ultimate-guide-to-dolomite-countertops/

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4460854/anyone-use-dolomite-on-counter-tops-is-it-more-durable-than-carrera

    For good performance, consider granite and true quartize (not the dolomite type quartzite).

  • 2 years ago

    Skip soapstone. it has no sheen at all, to the point overly dull, and no matter how much you wipe it down it never looks clean. durable it is not.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Dolomite is marble's first cousin. it's not 'less hard'. dolomite, calcite, pretty much the same. the diff in the two comes down to a chemical reaction w/carbonite / acids and the amount of time it takes to etch/stain between the two. marble bubbles vigorously w/acid, dolomite takes more time. And I believe dolomite has magnesium in it. I'd have to look it up again.


    https://usenaturalstone.org/know-your-minerals/


    They're both soft, but dolomite is a 4-4.5 on the mohs scale. marble is 3. granite is 7, quartzite is 8.

    Super White is dolomite. I have it in my bathroom.


    I keep it sealed. it has etched in a few spots but nothing compared to the marble I have on the floors. Dolomite takes longer to etch and to stain.

    I believe the have factory sealers they put on. I have it on my marble island top. great to prevent staining, but etching? not so much.

    what stone were you considering for your kitchen?

  • 2 years ago

    I was thinking of using Dolomite, but was trying to understand durability over time. I love the marble look, but marble will not work for my family. Looking for a stone that has white undertones and hard to find a white Quartzite stone. I have never seen Dolomite before and was trying to see if it would be a good option.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    If you don't mind etching, it's fine.

    try looking at Perla Venata. it's a lighter version of TajMajal, both quartzites


    River White is a whiter granite. you could try that too



    Or, Porcelain slabs have come a long way



  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Cathy:


    Etching can be eliminated on calcite stones like Dolomite with MORE Anti-Etch. It's the only product of its kind.

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you for the comments. I looked at the Taj Mahal quartzite and looking for more white with black or gray veining. Porcelain has come a long way and using it in other areas of my new build. I will revisit it again. I will also be looking into the Anti-Etch. That sounds promising if I go with the Dolomite.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I love river white granite .

  • 2 years ago

    " Skip soapstone. it has no sheen at all, to the point overly dull, and no matter how much you wipe it down it never looks clean. durable it is not. "


    sandy3877 What? About the most durable stone out there. It has been used on science and lab table for hundreds of years. Keep it oiled and it will look great.

  • 2 years ago

    I LOVE my soapstone countertops!! It’s absolutely beautiful and maintenance-free, other than an occasional swipe with a damp cloth, and perhaps a little dish soap. Mine has not etched or stained, and I love the way it looks. The poster above who says “skip it” clearly knows little about it, and I’m puzzled as to why the negative comment was even posted in this Dolomite/ quartzite/ marble thread, but I must come to soapstone’s defense!

  • 2 years ago

    I’ll add that I’ve opted not to oil or wax my soapstone countertops; I prefer the way it looks and feels au natural. And I also forgot to mention the lovely silky feeling it has to the touch. Choosing soapstone was one of my favorite and wisest renovation decisions.

  • 2 years ago

    My previous house had soapstone that looked brand new 13 years after it had been installed. We hosted dinners for 60 people, DIY pizza for the little grandchildren, my husband’s culinary experiments, family reunions. What nonsense people spout about how unsuitable soapstone is. You can bet my current kitchen, now almost 7 years old has soapstone. I never oil or wax it. I love the touch of it. Neither kitchen had stains or chips. Chemistry labs used soapstone and the chemicals never ruined them.