Software
Houzz Logo Print
chandraclewley

What is this shelving/ case unit called?

2 years ago

I want to have this built or purchase this type of a unit for my dining room but I don’t even know what to call it to even start shopping…

What I want is two tall china cabinet type items with a shorter buffet type item in between them…

I’ve tried “wall unit”, “china cabinet”, “curio” and none of those terms find this style…I mostly find one giant piece of furniture. I want to find three piece sets….

Anyone know?

Thank you!!

Comments (12)

  • 2 years ago

    I’ll add: I don’t want this particular one, this was a store. I want the idea of this….two tall with one short in between….

  • 2 years ago

    Are you looking for something light weight like an Etageres or a fully enclosed cabinet?

    Built in or free standing? with merely a sideboard or credenza in the center?

    or do you plan to connect everything? You may have to buy the pieces separately and combine them to your sizing requirements.

  • 2 years ago

    Beverly answered your question. You need three pieces -two glass fronted tall cabinets and a wide buffet in the middle. If you want them to match, it may be challenging. But they are out there.

  • 2 years ago

    Amazing, thank you! It’s been very difficult to find places that have units that would all look good together on one wall…any and all stores/ links that come to mind are hugely appreciated.

    Beverly, the one you posted is just gorgeous!

    My goal: to have a place to display all matching china, dishes, heirlooms but also store table linens etc in a undisplayed area.

    All links/ idea/ examples absolutely welcome. And thank you!

    I’d much prefer to purchase it than have it built in but I’m open…

  • 2 years ago

    Lynn- definitely enclosed for the cabinets. Earthquakes make me slightly nervous on that front, and kids, and people sliding by…etc

    It seems only very expensive places have anything similar…wish I could find something mid range price that actually looks like it could all go on one wall.

    They don’t need to attach, and I’d prefer free standing, not built in…

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    People don't display china and glassware as in decades in the past because no one has the time or the help to make the contents in the cabinets look pleasing to the eye.

    Creating the two cabinets with the sideboard is a dated solution from the get-go IMO. I would simply install a long sideboard for storage. Place the bulk of your items in a Butler's Pantry or general pantry.

  • 2 years ago

    I do. i display my china, my mothers china and my grandmothers wine glasses. i also use my grandmothers sideboard. storage is a wonderful thing.

    The question is what to call the cabinet while shopping.


  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Auntthelma, show us how all the china and glasses look.

  • 2 years ago

    Google "glass door cabinet" and then sideboard. Find two matching cabinets and place a matching sideboard in between. Figure out what mid-price means to you and get your measurements. Even Ikea has glass door cabinets and sideboards. I do find it more common these days to find cabinets that are glass doors and shelves up top and drawers below.


    "People don't display china and glassware ... Place the bulk of your items in a Butler's Pantry or general pantry."


    Clearly this OP does want to display china and glassware. And plenty of people do not have butler's or other pantries. Giving up my china display (in a vintage chemistry cabinets) is one of my regrets when I moved from a house to an apartment.



  • 2 years ago

    If you live near a large city, also try consignment shops, tho 3 matching pieces might be a challenge.

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you all for the help! I do have many items to display and I am gifted with a knack for making it look good and not old fashioned. I’m still on the hunt for the right pieces, although my search led me down a rabbits hole where I was actually finding office furniture to be the closest to what I want 😂
    But here is some inspiration and I have still not purchased anything…