Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_56988

looking for a sofa table

2 years ago

Help me find a console table that doubles as a desk please! It can only be 12 deep to fit the room. We won’t have the couch for much longer but it’s 72”. If we replace it, it will be 65” I think. I put a 30” table there for context. Looking for simple lines to fit a traditional home with some farmhouse vibes. Drawers are a bonus!

Comments (26)

  • 2 years ago

    Here is a 30” table for context

  • 2 years ago

    Are you going to have a desk chair? 12" is tough to find without a shelf or cross pieces (to provide some stability) which make it unusable as a desk. Can you move the ladder and skootch the sofa forward to fit in something a little larger? This is 15" from Target.


  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I see no reason to replace that couch with ANY couch. I will add that 12" is a nearly useless desk top surface, even for an Ipad or laptop.

    Please draw and measure your room? By that I mean all the walls, window, built in.....and whatever precedes the living room space.

    I see much opportunity for a less bulky and somewhat choked appearance, with a literal "wall" at the entry.

    Add that drawing with dimensions, in a comment box below, please?

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I think you have furniture overkill in that space alreaady , a 12" deep table cannot possibly work asa real desk and adding drawers would not be IMO a good idea. Do you have laptop or a desk top computer ? Where do you have all the rest of the stuff like the printer ? I do not see a TV here do you have a space you use for TV watching ? Maybe thta would be a better space for this desk. You do ralize a 65" "sofa" is really like a large chaire where one arm is too far away.I would be replacing the sectional for another sofa before replacing the light colored sofa. I never like chaise sofas in a space where I entertain for sure it restricts seating .

  • 2 years ago

    If you are going to use it as a workspace figure out how you are going to sit there and be comfortable. I find that having a drawer under to desktop portion either is in the way of my legs or places me too low to be comfortable typing or writing.


    Found the - do not know the quality, but it is the right setup. 64x16


    https://www.unlimitedfurnituregroup.com/magnussen-smithton-rectangular-sofa-table-with-1-stool.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google#additional



  • 2 years ago

    Do you need another sofa there?

    What about moving your chair to that spot and having a desk in front of the window?

  • 2 years ago

    What is the purpose of the desk? Laptop? Paper storage? Paying bills? Piling everyday necessities such as keys and mail?


    Will you pull up a chair from elsewhere?

  • 2 years ago

    Thanks for all your input. It’s a strange, narrow room. The TV is above the fireplace and this is the only room for TV watching in the house — so the big couches are sort of necessary for our family. The purpose of the table is the hide the back of the couch more than anything. Maybe a couple of stools underneath? The kitchen island is right behind me in the photo, so I could easily slide those stools over.

    The printer is hidden in those cupboards and I don’t have an office so a little laptop might sit here.

    Wish we could buy all new to suit the space better but this is what we moved in with. Gotta get creative!

  • 2 years ago

    Totally understandable! :)

    Can you wait until you replace the sofa? It might help better visualize what would work there.

    You‘ve probably done this already, but if not, do a search for ’desk behind sofa’ … lots of ideas come up that might inspire.

  • 2 years ago

    My inspo…. lol. Just need to find the table.

  • 2 years ago

    Do a search for Parsons console table.

    Modern Waterfront Kitchen · More Info


    Here's something from Sam's Club


    You might need to customize desk height. Also, check out Etsy woodworkers who can create custom pieces affordably.

  • 2 years ago

    I would go with a simple style like this (or a Parsons)



  • 2 years ago

    I just spotted this acrylic-desk-behind-sofa setup on Apartment Therapy:



  • 2 years ago

    The thing about the inspiration pic is that the room looks larger than yours, and the furniture is all smaller than yours. Take Jan’s advice and post a plan of the space so you can get the help you need (which is not necessarily the help you think you need!)

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    The furnsihings for this room must be placed actually in the room.

    Your gold sofa should be removed as it doesn't fit inside the room. You certainly don't have room to then add a table behind the sofa.

    Can you shift all the furnishings to accommodate the sofa? If not just remove it.


  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Choosing furniture can be overwhelming with all the styles, colors, and materials available. I recently moved, and the struggle was real. I started by deciding on a theme or style for each room. I'm leaning towards a modern and minimalistic vibe. I found a great option here https://www.valuecityfurniture.com/search/v/shop-all-furniture



  • PRO
    2 years ago

    If you would draw and measure the space accurately? You'd find there are better ways to arrange what you already own. Until you do that, hard to help, and your room looks front loaded: ) and closed off. Don't add to the problem.

  • 2 years ago

    Just guessing since we don't have measurements, but would it work to swap the gold chair and sofa? A sofa up against that window would be less intrusive, especially if you are replacing it with a narrower sofa. And the chair would look better in that wide doorway than the sofa does--you wouldn't need to hide the back with a table.

  • 2 years ago

    I guess I should have really added that this is a temporary solution. The plan is to replace all of the furniture when we can afford it. We downsized and it’s been really tricky using our old stuff. Here is my best drawing. I’m no professional, obviously!!

  • 2 years ago

    Here’s more context. The more pictures I take the more I want to change my question to what should I buy! $$$$

  • 2 years ago

    Ouch. Downsizing does make for rough in-between periods. Been there. How many people do you need to seat for a family night? Do you regularly put 3 people on either sofa, or just 2? The piece that really makes the room awkward is the sectional. If you removed it, put your gold couch there, and added either another 2-seater sofa (stationed under the window) or 2 more arm chairs, would you have enough seating?

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    What will fit? Nicely?

    Below


    Sofa, nesting cocktail tables, chair and ottoman, two swivel chairs, two small pullup ottomans or x benches, at the fire. and 10 x 14 rug ( dotted line)

    For now? Whomever is clinging to the chaise leather couch with feet up view of tv?? Either take this out of the room, or put it under the window for now ( no, the chaise won't face the tv. ). Sorry!! It is the big culprit in your room, limits all decent arrangement , at this point, really should not stay.

    Move the big brown sofa to THE LONG WALL.

    Bring the Chair TO THE KITCHEN END, give that person a view of the tv.

    Sit at the island with your ipad. or......if you remove the leather, put a nice console at the window. The walls aren't moving -they rarely do, so live beautifully within them.

  • 2 years ago

    Thanks for all your feedback and help. Stay turned?!

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus