Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vgking

Veggie Tales >>> February 2024

vgkg Z-7 Va
2 months ago

Where did January go? I don't know but I'm glad it gone. Spring is tipping toeing our way and things will start waking up in the garden soon. Took some pics today...

Here's my fall planted spinach, it laughed off the teens of late...

Another row of fall planted spinach, all will be thinned, ferted, and mulched in 2-3 weeks...

Next to the spinach is a row of frostbit collards, some still pickable but we got a freezer full

The Pear trees are showing buds now but thankfully they are still asleep

But the Daffodils are waking up...

...and one last shot of the almost finished compost that will be applied to the Spinach soon.

Had to cover it from the recent heavy rains...

What Ya Got Growing?

Comments (23)

• beesneeds
    2 months ago

Finally put in a couple seed orders today. Baker Creek, Seeds from Italy, and Swallowtail. Not big orders, I still have lots of seed. Not sure what all is going on in the caps yet, will be cracking them open during the weekend. Probably putting out some early greens seed in a couple of them since it looks like we are on a good trend for the weather. Next week or so is suppose to be nice, so I might get some willow cut, badly needs it.

• Sigrid
    2 months ago

We have snow on the ground. I'm not growing anything outside. Not even starting seeds yet.

• HU-939938193
    2 months ago

I still got my spring planted collard patch that I covered before the Serbian polar thing that came down along with some fall onions and garlic. Turnips got froze out but didn't bother covering them. Got some brassicas and greens in low tunnels that survived with mixed results from the single digit temps we just had. Haven't had time to do a through inspection.

Got my seed orders all in for spring planting.

Onion bunches and seed potatoes are starting to show up in the stores in my locale.

Onions and potatoes is where it all starts for me down here in Oklahoma.

Looks like I might have a too wet spring (again).

Okie HU

• beesneeds
    2 months ago

Scattered a bunch of greens seeds under the garden caps. Harvested a mess of cress out of the garden and from under the kitchen caps- right tasty soup for dinner tonight with it.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Hopefully I didn't jump the gun but I cleaned up 2 of my 4 rows of fall planted spinach today. Long range forecast lows aren't expected to dip into the teens so I took the dive, they're tough so not too worried even if it hits the teens before Spring. Will clean up the other 2 rows in a few days, which involves weeding, transplanting to fill gaps, ferting, and mulching with compost.

I also raked away the leaves I placed over the pea bed to allow it to dry out a bit more before planting in the coming days. After a little shower tonight a dry spell will prevail for several days. All of the fruit trees are still dormant except the plums which are showing a little life now.

• HU-939938193
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I have a question for you northerners.

When do you start putting out your potatoes and onions?

I'm about to put out my potatoes and onions down here in oklahoma.

But the north wind is still howling.

Okie HU

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    2 months ago

^^^ I'm not a northerner but am at a slightly more north latitude than OK. Back when I use to grow both onions and potatoes I'd wait until the soil warms up a bit (55F) and the long range forecast looks mild (no teens). Around here that would put the planting date in early.mid March.

• beesneeds
    2 months ago

I have a couple bins under caps in the kitchen garden that I could plant potatoes in. But those get some early radishes and carrots I got sprouting up. The regular beds are still seeing heavy frosts and I haven't seen seed starting to show up at the feed stores yet. In a few weeks some of the kitchen bins will be ready to harvest or finish harvesting of mostly greens. Then the taters will be out for sale and I'll get them planted in bins. Probably German Butterball again, we liked those last year.

This year I'm doing some wintersowing of allium seed out back. It's an experiment. We have wild chives that populate beautifully in the house yard lawns. I'd like to get some other alliums to mother up out back if I can. Last year I grew out and harvested several heads worth of seed and bulbils from different onions, shallots, and leeks. No formal planting of those in the regular garden beds this year- that growing space got planted in with garlic last fall.

• RD Texas
    2 months ago

CHEROKEE PURPLE

last of the winter tomatoes

• RD Texas
    2 months ago

All my trees got killed by the 3 days of 18-20 degree weather-guess i should have left them in containers until they were 2 years old

• RD Texas
    2 months ago

Green beans and peas

• RD Texas
    2 months ago

I had to drag in all my green beans, peas, turnips, onions, and a few other seedlings inside the house to protect them from the weather the last two days. It looks like it is the end of winter around here-at least I am hopeful it is-got hundreds of tomato, squash, corn, and bok choy seedlings, along with several other vegetables-all about 2-3 inches tall, except for the squash which is ready to transplant.

• RD Texas
    2 months ago

Blueberry and Blackberry

• Donald V Zone 6 north Ohio
    2 months ago

I am very very jealous of those in warmer climated. I have to jump through hoops to get 2 months harvest time for peppers! I ordered seeds and will start Tom's & peppers in a week. Maybe leeks but I likely will order a bunch of plants.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    2 months ago

A nice day yesterday to get some gardening going without being too cold or too warm, perfect, no sweat. I prepped the rows for the cabbages, broccoli, carrots, beets, and lettuces. Will start on the pea plot today and begin planting all of these veggies (seeds & transplants) in about 2 weeks or so. Keeping an eye on the long range forecast for any cold snaps but so far any predicted nite temps below freezing are few.

Soil moisture is excellent for a very good start and the earthworms were very abundant. Some daffodils are budding up now but thankfully the fruit trees are still dormant except for the early plums being near bud swell, I expect the other trees will wake up next when temps warm up to around 70F this week, but a cool snap after that down into the 30's is expected. I'll get going on prepping the summer crop plots sometime in April.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    2 months ago

Hu.........

I plant onions the last week of March and the first potatoes in themiddle of April [pre green sprouted]. I plant the late potatoes in July which tend to do the best and don't sprout all winter.

• beesneeds
    2 months ago

Waaayyyyy the heck too warm today for Feb- it's almost 70. Supposed to get snow tonight, lol. But I got out to the shops- picked up my seed taters :) And some onion sets just cuz. Also picked up two sandcherries, two kinds of peaches, a plum, and an apricot. Only the apricot is potted, so I'm potting up the rest this afternoon to hold till planting time in a few weeks. I'll keep my eye out for another plum over the next few weeks.

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    2 months ago

It's fairly warm here too and no 20's in the long range forecast so I got a little Spring Fever today and planted the peas along both sides of the trellis (2 - 25' rows). I might go wild and plant some lettuce seed soon too. The plum buds are close to blooming and the pear buds are showing a bit of swell. It won't be long before a March Veggie Tale thread starts up...

• HU-939938193
    2 months ago

I got most of my potatoes and onions in the ground.

Now a cold front 's coming down straight from the north .

It's been un seasonally warm here in okla for Feb.,

but now getting a 70 degree drop in the temps.

Talk about whip lash.

also getting wild fires in the northwest part of the state.

They're having to evacuate whole towns now.

Okie HU

• RD Texas
    2 months ago

Beesneeds it was 87 here. That is already about a week of 80+ every day-in February

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    last month

vgkg - It's predicted to be 26 degrees here tonight. Will you be escaping this cold snap?

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    Original Author
    last month

Hi Cindy, temp here will hit 31F tonite, but they predicted 30 for last nite and it only dipped to 35. Long range for my local says after tonite no more freezing temps for many days ahead, a 40's/60's pattern is in the works. Did a lot outside planting today and will start March thread to update soon enough. Bye-bye Feb!