Software
Houzz Logo Print
ronald_aldo

Bathroom shower dilemma

2 years ago

I have a walk-in tiled shower that I loved until it started leaking into the kitchen below. Over 20 years Three plumbers, three leaks, three ceiling repairs. Finally, we ripped out the floor and found that the original plumber and tile guy had nailed and screwed through the rubber layer. The problem is I can’t find the tile anymore-Bottocino with beige tones so I am trying to figure a design and I’m leaning towards the white or cream for the seat and the base. Not ideal but I’m hoping one of you talented folks will be able to give me some better idea. I don’t care if I rip out the seat and put in a corner seat or a different size seat.

Comments (8)

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Gut the rest of the shower. Don’t do it halfway- you know what you tore out was done wrong, I bet the rest was too. Never Mind the fact that you can’t properly join the new waterproofing to the old at the seam, or as you’ve pointed out you can’t even match the tile. Rip out everything and do it right.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    exactly what Hallett said. I bet the walls aren't properly waterproofed. You could have water issues inside your walls and might not know it.

    In fact, what was behind the tile on the walls on the lower part?? cement board?? greenboard? drywall??



    just rip it all out and start new w/a completely waterproofed shower done the correct way.

    I mean, how much more will it cost? another 2K? for piece of mind?

    (i'd also make sure you learn what properly waterproofed means so you be sure your new tile guy is doing it correctly)

    BTW, I sure hope that curb and floor is getting redone!

  • 2 years ago

    Totally agree with the previous comments. Go ahead and remove the seat and curb before you bring in tile pros for options and estimates. My guess there is additional damage under those. Get references and as Beth mentioned ask questions and monitor the progress. Best of luck to you.

  • 2 years ago

    It’s too much like “Renovation Russian Roulette”. Someone who made one mistake probably made others. Bite the bullet, rip it all out so you KNOW it’s done properly.

    And try to enjoy redoing your shower.

  • 2 years ago

    You could also explore other options, like a preformed shower floor or solid surface walls. You've received good advice above: all of this needs to come out and be redone properly.

  • 2 years ago

    Agree with above. Is the shower tile the same as the bathroom floor tile? Take a spare or broken tile to the tile shop to pick out something new with the same color tones. Bring a lot of samples home and expect to make multiple trips. Daltile and American Olean have a lot of off white and grayish tile colors with lots of trim pieces. Black would be a good accent color in the shower, considering the bathroom floor tile has black accent pieces.

  • 2 years ago

    Start anew with all Schlüter walls, floors, curb, niches……all tilers use it now, it’s much better. After 20 years and all your troubles you deserve a new bathroom!

  • 2 years ago

    Absolutely gut the entire shower, you could have mold, etc. This will also give you an opportunity to have a truly beautiful shower. I would also suggest in your revision, take out the corner shelves and replace them with matching tiled indented shelving.